Type keyword(s) to search

It's Neil Gaiman's World: The Sandman Graphic Novels

• Start Topic

While we have a forum on the comics, I might as well share the one logic issue in the comics that actually bothers me. When we finally get to meet Destruction we find out why he left. He got tired of managing humans' destruction (change) and abandoned his duties. Since he didn't let himself be replaced by another version of Destruction, there was no one to do his job. People will still change, but it will no longer be managed by an entity, he says.  He suggests to Dream that he could do that do, just leave his job. Everything will be fine.

But we've seen that Dream Vortexes show up from time to time and if someone doesn't kill them, they go and destroy the entire universe. So apparently Dream can't just up and leave like you, dude. Also when Death isn't there to personally manage the newly deceased, we see the undead running around like the future dead boy detectives.

Apparently Destruction got the easy, least essential job?

• Love 2
On 8/24/2022 at 12:58 PM, Fukui San said:

While we have a forum on the comics, I might as well share the one logic issue in the comics that actually bothers me. When we finally get to meet Destruction we find out why he left. He got tired of managing humans' destruction (change) and abandoned his duties. Since he didn't let himself be replaced by another version of Destruction, there was no one to do his job. People will still change, but it will no longer be managed by an entity, he says.  He suggests to Dream that he could do that do, just leave his job. Everything will be fine.

But we've seen that Dream Vortexes show up from time to time and if someone doesn't kill them, they go and destroy the entire universe. So apparently Dream can't just up and leave like you, dude. Also when Death isn't there to personally manage the newly deceased, we see the undead running around like the future dead boy detectives.

Apparently Destruction got the easy, least essential job?

The comics don't really establish the full logistics of how dream vortexes work. We basically are only told/shown:

1. Dream vortexes get created from time to time. (Do we know if it's once a century, a millennium, longer? I don't think we do. My sense -- and it's been a long time since I re-read the graphic novels, is that the vortex that we saw in the course of it was the first in a very long time by Endless standards)

2. They can suck everyone together into one big ol' dream and threaten everything.

3. Dream screwed up and let one go too far and like an entire world/galaxy was lost.

4. Dream is empowered by the Rules that bind him to kill a human who houses a dream vortex.

5. Unity Kincaid was one such dream vortex and she somehow passed along her vortex-ness to Rose Walker before Unity Kincaid repossessed it just before she died.

6. To a certain extent, dream vortexes can be detected/determined prior to them acting dream-vortexy (otherwise Desire would not have been able to know Unity was one and launch her plan)

It's entirely possible that Dream could establish protocols to handle any dream vortexes that pop up. He doesn't have to personally kill them. As long as they are housed in random mortals, pretty much anyone or thing could.