Type keyword(s) to search

The Atlanta Child Murders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Will Packer is to produce a documentary series about the murder of 29 African American children in Atlanta for Investigation Discovery...

It will tell the story of Atlanta beginning in 1979, where two 14-year-old boys go missing. A few days later a woman stumbles across their remains, with one boy fatally shot and the other strangled. This incident begins a horrifying 23 months, with a total of 29 African-American children being stolen from their families and killed. Multiple suspicions lead nowhere, and under intense pressure, local police rush to find the killer before he strikes again. The city is primed to blame someone, anyone, for these cold-blooded crimes against the community. Yet decades later, no person has been tried for these murders, and the killer has never been confirmed.

Airing Saturday, March 23, 2019, with all three parts airing consecutively.

I grew up in Atlanta. I was a teenager when this was going on. I remember seeing this on the news and in the newspaper almost constantly. It was a huge, huge story! I remember at the time there was some thought that the police included some kids on the list whose murders probably weren’t related. I believe now that is  indeed the case. That said, I am convinced that Wayne Williams committed the vast majority of the murders. I would urge anyone interested in this case to listen to the podcast Atlanta Monster. It goes into much more detail than this TV show.

• Love 6

@Cara - Thanks for the tip. I’m going to have to watch that Podcast. 

I live in Atlanta as well but was a child when these murders were taking place. That said, I’d heard many speak about Wayne Williams being innocent of these crimes. However, after watching this documentary and learning about some of the recent DNA results that connected him to some of the murders, I believe he is guilty of many of the murders. But I also believe there could’ve been another murderer, specifically with the little girls who were killed (and thus completely outside of Williams’ MO) and the cases where the kids were blungeoned or stabbed. I think in one of the first cases the child was shot. Based on the little I know about serial killers it’s rare that they cross race, gender and switch up methods of killing. 

Most of the victims were strangled or suffocated. I think those murders could probably be attributed to Williams, but the others who were stabbed, blugeoned and were girls, I believe were killed by someone else. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

God damn there was little sense of urgency

It makes me ragey because I'm currently watching one about a little white girl who went missing and the town, the cops, everyone was moving heaven and earth to find who took her (eventually killed her). I feel like these kids didn't get that and it makes me sad. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It makes me ragey because I'm currently watching one about a little white girl who went missing and the town, the cops, everyone was moving heaven and earth to find who took her (eventually killed her). I feel like these kids didn't get that and it makes me sad. 

Hell no they didn't. The grief of the families almost 40 years later is gutting me.

Edited by DrSparkles