Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Lie to Me

• Start Topic

(edited)

So, Lexi was intrigued by Angel's tales of his campaign against Drusilla, and pointed out that while most vampires have, essentially, simple motivations (the Master wanted his freedom and then power; Spike is possessive of Drusilla and takes pride in killing Slayers), Angel was apparently a really sadistic sick fuck (Lexi put it more politely), since he didn't kill Dru for food or revenge or whatever, he took pride in corrupting her.  And that "every physical and mental torture I could devise" bit doesn't sound so great, either.

So now she wants to see some flashbacks, to see the vampire whom the Master called "the most vicious creature I ever met".  "I wanna see Evil Angel!" she declared.

Spoiler

Hoo and boy.  To quote Ethan, "Be careful what you wish for."  And that's just a general statement; I'm not even counting the part where Giles is her favorite character and G/J her favorite ship and she's going to spend next episode terrified for Jenny and relieved when she doesn't die…

On 6/18/2014 at 6:29 PM, Dianthus said:

Everyone lies in this ep - Ford, Angel, Buffy, Jenny - except Spike.

Wait, what?  How does Jenny lie?  Lying involves keeping a secret when you're asked (as when Angel says he stayed in and read) or if you know it's important to someone and you choose not to tell them (you could put that on Willow and Xander and  Drusilla and Julia [the blonde vampire]).  

But making plans to entertain somebody and keeping them under wraps until the event is not a "lie" by any stretch of the imagination. Drama is not a lie.  Jenny said they'd be going out for the evening and that Giles would find out what they were doing later.  Not a bit of mendacity involved.   If anything, Giles comes closer to lying when he says they couldn't have left before seeing the nitro-burning funny cars.  But even that could be true; he might have decided that it would be unfair to judge the event without seeing everything, the fact that the rest of the show did not in fact change his mind doesn't come into it.

And it isn't only Spike and Jenny who don't lie.  Cordelia was entirely sincere in her sympathy for Marie Antoinette.  (Yes, 90% of Cordy's part was cut, as mentioned above, but she didn't lie in those scenes either.). And while you might be able to ding Diego for a lie of omission when Ford says it's getting drafty and Marvin goes to close the door without telling Buffy "Actually, I'm doing this to trap you in here so the vampires can kill you", I can't see anything that indicates that Chanterelle knew any such details of the plan, not even that Buffy was a part of it.  AFAIK, Ford just told her he had a plan for the Lonely Ones to "bless" them, and she trusted in him.

Sorry, Spike.  You're not quite so special after all.

Spoiler

Yes, Jenny is keeping her "Angel killed a girl from my tribe" secret, but her ethnic heritage is nobody business but hers, so that's not a lie.  It's not as if she's endangering others by not filling them in; AFASK she's just supposed to monitor Angel's moods.  That whole "the Curse could make him lose his soul and then a whole lot of people might die" part is what Enyos didn't bother to tell her.

Now, if Jenny did think to seduce Buffy and let her think that she was doing it out of love whereas it was mostly to split up B/A and she'd actually rather be inducting Cordelia into The Sisterhood, that would be a different matter.  But Jenny's tongue is a long way from Buffy's virginity, both physically and metaphorically.  So the whole "it's ROMANY, not the G-word!" issue is something she's perfectly entitled to keep to herself.  JMO.

Edited by Halting Hex
On 8/27/2018 at 5:59 PM, lembergwatcher said:

What still gets me is that a 240-plus-something-year-old ensouled vamp was the lucky guy to see braless (but with heavy makeup on) Willow in the sacred space of her room. Come on, this is so unfair...

To be fair, Xander had plenty of chances to see Buffy braless in history class, and in the corridor afterwards.  (Yes, she is, er, flying free under that mauve top.) So it's not as if he's completely deprived.  True, Buffy is not Willow, but one assumes there will be other opportunities; Angel's good fortune here doesn't preclude Xander being similarly diverted in the future.

Darcie spotted "Asian Dan" (a recurring extra; name given by Joss Whedon on a commentary) in what may be his first appearance, in that same history class.  He's visible over Xander's shoulder, and looks even less interested in Cordelia's revisionist history than Xander is.

Spoiler

(Which accounts, I suppose, for why Cordelia never ends up dating Dan.)