Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

I saw Part Two of Melissa Sue Anderson's Interview on the 50th Anniversary LHOTP Podcast and one interesting reveal was that a mutual friend to both Miss Anderson. .and AA has been the French LHOTP zealot Patrick Loubatiere. I don't know claim to know what he might have said or done but I can't help but think it's likely  that since he had encouraged AA to bring a new standup routine  that they wrote in FRENCH to audiences in France and even LA despite AA's initial misgivings, I think it's possible that he may have worked to convince one or both that it might be worth getting to know each other as they currently are as people now that each are . ..at least in sight of their golden years instead of hanging onto to decades' old hurts and misunderstandings from their teens.

Of course, I don't think Dean Butler and Miss Anderson had ever had any issues or misunderstandings but Mr. Butler may have been reticent to attempt an independent friendship (beyond being professionally civil) with her due to AA's and especially MG's open hostility towards her. I could be wrong about that.

In any case, it's good to see that Miss Anderson and AA embarking on a warmer bond than in times past.

I only hope that MG at least accepts if not likes these two having cordiality  instead of having it sour her own longtime friendship with AA.

• Like 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

I saw Part Two of Melissa Sue Anderson's Interview on the 50th Anniversary LHOTP Podcast and one interesting reveal was that a mutual friend to both Miss Anderson. .and AA has been the French LHOTP zealot Patrick Loubatiere. I don't know claim to know what he might have said or done but I can't help but think it's likely  that since he had encouraged AA to bring a new standup routine  that they wrote in FRENCH to audiences in France and even LA despite AA's initial misgivings, I think it's possible that he may have worked to convince one or both that it might be worth getting to know each other as they currently are as people now that each are . ..at least in sight of their golden years instead of hanging onto to decades' old hurts and misunderstandings from their teens.

Of course, I don't think Dean Butler and Miss Anderson had ever had any issues or misunderstandings but Mr. Butler may have been reticent to attempt an independent friendship (beyond being professionally civil) with her due to AA's and especially MG's open hostility towards her. I could be wrong about that.

In any case, it's good to see that Miss Anderson and AA embarking on a warmer bond than in times past.

I only hope that MG at least accepts if not likes these two having cordiality  instead of having it sour her own longtime friendship with AA.

I agree, Dean in his book didn't mention except in passing Melissa Sue and Jonathan and I think he wanted to stay out of the gossip and what might have happened on set. I thought it was odd since he was on a lot with them, especially Jon but it was almost more stark not doing it. I can see though going to as many fan events as he does and all that, not wanting to get on the bad side of anyone.That must be the gossip he meant in interviews he didn't talk about because he did mention Michael and things with him.

I had a person who wasn't nice to me in high school act like I was her bestie years later when we bumped into each other in the hospital. I was shocked but realized some people grow up slower and didn't hold a grudge. I hope as you say, MG doesn't but some people can for decades....but Melissa Sue never hurt her, just didn't play with her.

I saw part 2 was out but didn't get a chance to watch it yet. That French writer was who gave me the most insight on Jon and Katherine and Richard. He interviewed them and Dabbs. He told me more in 4 pages than I heard for decades about Jon and Katherine was very honest and interesting too. I thanked him in an email and even though he didn't put in more of the drama, did let it out MG's mom ignored Jon and doted on MG. Richard said the nicest things about Jon and I wish he was alive to balance the silly stuff AA tells. It was in a magazine you had to order. Patrick seem like a very nice man.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3

I could be wrong about the late Dabbs Greer (Rev. Alden) but it seems while he was universally beloved by all the cast, no one interviewed seemed to have spent much if any time with him off the set (unlike AA with MG, ML with Victor French, Karen Grassle and Charlotte Stewart with Katherine MacGregor,etc.).

Well, I guess it's better to be beloved but not an offtask bestie than to be loathed and/or dissed.

• Like 2

Watching them return to Walnut grove after leaving Winoka and they act shocked how dirty and run down everything is. Well you abandoned the town...what did you expect?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

charles: i dont know what were going to do i need a ox and plow and we dont have any money!

caroline: Charles we will find a way you have to believe!

charles: i'll go to town tomorrow and stop at the mercantile and see what I can do

caroline: just ask, the least they can do is say no

charles: i just wish it was only a woman working

(Caroline gives a look) 

caroline: and why is that Charles?

Charles: well i'd walk in shirtless, i'm sure my chest could sell the deal

caroline: Oh Charles

Charles:but instead some Nels Olson runs in..Maybe ill go in all nice and if he says no I'll get a attitude and he will feel guilty and let me have it!!

Caroiline: o im sure that'll work just like it did in Kansas

Charles: oh it has to, I've been working on my fake anger

(Charles comes home)

Caroline:well?

Charle: oh that selfish snob wouldnt let me have it, i even stormed out and shook my fist in anger! I even waited outside for 10 minutes for him to have a change of heart!

caroline:well its his business Charles, we have to understand

charkes: You know...maybe leaving your ma and pas was a mistake

caroline: Oh so know you agree with me. i said that from day 1 this was a mistake but NOOO big Charles Ingalls just has to show everyone he's right , well now look at us!!

charles: how could you?

581352--43827a57-0de9-4c09-b3da-516f3cc2c82e-poster.jpg

• LOL 4

Caroline: I could have told you that Harriet is interested in cold hard cash instead of any exposed chest.  Nels once said that only worked twice for him!

• LOL 3

Has anyone here gone to a reunion event? I bought tickets last year when it was in my son's hometown and they changed it 4 times since then in CT, just recently a week ago for end of August date. I came very close to selling/giving away my ticket since Hartford CT is not where I wanted to go. Traffic, congestion and a huge civic center. Now it's in a large mansion but parking seems limited unless they let people park in the fields around it. This is venue. https://www.herecomestheguide.com/wedding-venues/connecticut/hill-stead-museum

I bought when they mistakenly said Melissa G was going and she wasn't and Karen Grassle was a mistake or she pulled out (she is 80's I think) Gil Gerard is not on ticket anymore. (I wanted Uncle Chris) but hey Karen bowed out. ; ) They would have had some funny skit I think.

I still might sell the dinner ticket since I wont pay for auction items and remembering those past is not a reason to stay until 730 or later from 10am. I wondered if anyone else had ever gone to one. I was very impulsive this time not thinking of my ADD brain and the long lines and not being with a friend although I know people meet and talk.

If Jon was going, I would definitely want to stay but just Alison and Dean are who I wanted to meet. My fault for not waiting until they tweaked the final list. I don't think Lucy is going either anymore and not sure about Charlotte.

I would be unlikely to attend an event like this unless it was close to where I live. I've gone to a few conventions, mostly sci-fi, and they can be a bit hectic. One time Gil Gerard was at one. His table was next to Erin Gray's and I noticed they did not speak or look at each other. 

On another note, I've been reading the LHotP subreddit. There are a lot of posts and an active community there. In true reddit tradition, there's some good stuff and there's some not good stuff. 

• Like 2

yea this is my state but not too close, hour away. I got dinner and meet and greet but might try to sell or give away dinner. Very long of a day if there isn't more of a draw. The venue seems nice, a stuntman is having the Ingall's wagon or replica there for rides I think. I like pictures with stars but autographs, not so much.The first venue when I bought them was in my son's town so I felt I could leave and come back for dinner etc.

I'll see but waiting in lines for 8 hours...no. : )  It will be nice to see them but so many are too old or passed away, it's kind of sad too. If MSA and MG came, and Jon I'd be staying all day because they were the "core" but seeing Alison will be fun.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mr. Sparkle said:

On another note, I've been reading the LHotP subreddit. There are a lot of posts and an active community there. In true reddit tradition, there's some good stuff and there's some not good stuff. 

There can be some interesting content, but I like the vibe here better. They can be super defensive about stuff everyone has a good time about and doesn't take too seriously here. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mr. Sparkle said:

I fully agree. Any time I hear the phrase "true fan" I cringe. 

That, and any post that starts with "Am I the only one..." 

😂😂😂

The recent post where people were downvoting anyone who dared to critique MG's acting was wild. I've always thought she was a good child actress in the early seasons but absolutely dreadful as an adult. But apparently on there, she is Meryl Streep of the prairie! LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, Zella said:

😂😂😂

The recent post where people were downvoting anyone who dared to critique MG's acting was wild. I've always thought she was a good child actress in the early seasons but absolutely dreadful as an adult. But apparently on there, she is Meryl Streep of the prairie! LOL

I might be wrong but I think she's aware of that too. She probably blamed being uphappy and scripts and probably reviews. It just went on way too long with the same and then the changes were too severe.

• Like 1
(edited)

Carrie Ingalls's imaginary friend and spirit guide Alyssa?

Alyssa is the Little House fandom's Scrappy-Doo IIRC.

Alyssa spent an afternoon manning the Samaritans' switchboard and several people died by suicide. To riff off Dave Lister, no one would mind but one of them had typed in the wrong digit in the number and only wanted to call radio's Doctor Ruth and ended up talking to Walnut Grove's very own Doctor Kevorkian.

^_^

Edited by tearknee
On 8/17/2024 at 5:51 AM, debraran said:

I might be wrong but I think she's aware of that too. She probably blamed being uphappy and scripts and probably reviews. It just went on way too long with the same and then the changes were too severe.

I think the scripts had a lot to do with this.  When she first married Almonzo, it was like she was playing house instead of newly married.  They had her getting married way too young.  She went from child in braids still getting into shenanigans to being a wife in about a year.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think the scripts had a lot to do with this.  When she first married Almonzo, it was like she was playing house instead of newly married.  They had her getting married way too young.  She went from child in braids still getting into shenanigans to being a wife in about a year.

Well the team would have known they were on borrowed time. Sooner or later, NBC was going to cancel them.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tearknee said:

Well the team would have known they were on borrowed time. Sooner or later, NBC was going to cancel them.

Yes as part of a review said "

By Season 9, actor Michael Landon was ready to leave Little House. So the show wrote Pa Ingalls out, sending Charles and Caroline Ingalls (Karen Grassle) off to Iowa after they sell their house. The new homeowners are John Carter, a blacksmith, and wife Sarah, who runs a newspaper.

Behind the scenes, Landon stayed on as a producer for the show. However, for viewers, it was a major change when the show began to follow Laura as an adult married woman and mother. Thus, ratings dropped."

Dean was worried about his acting but it was just such a mess, "wild boys" and morphine (although that brought Landon back) and new kids. One blessing Dean got from it though was the fan following stayed unlike many other shows from that time being not "70's"but from another time period. Brady Bunch was popular but would fans keep coming to see them, IDK. Buy Brady merchandise....?

Dean is making decent money I'm sure from events and merchandise and it's an ego boost to see people so happy to see you for 5 years you did a long time ago.

• Like 1
On 8/14/2024 at 10:40 AM, jason88cubs said:

90a8ld.jpg

Caroline: Would you believe I was dreaming about the chrysanthemums in my wedding bouquet and couldn't get out the last three syllables?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Given all the memes about Greg and Marcia Brady as they're not blood siblings, how about Carrie and Cassandra? Albert and Laura are too cliche and I have standards y'know ;) 

image.png.43be712ab9b57d19a806eed64324ae19.png

"The vasectomist wasn't that bad, Charles!"

Edited by tearknee
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, tearknee said:

Given all the memes about Greg and Marcia Brady as they're not blood siblings, how about Carrie and Cassandra? Albert and Laura are too cliche and I have standards y'know ;) 

image.png.43be712ab9b57d19a806eed64324ae19.png

"The vasectomist wasn't that bad, Charles!"

Caroline: Since you were able to endure pain down there, surely your hair won't hurt TOO much when the barber give you a crewcut!

On 8/23/2024 at 12:45 AM, tearknee said:

Grace: "How about the 'Yul Brynner' look, Daddy?"

Carrie: "Good idea, little one!" 

Charles: Yule briner what's that- a salty yule log? Where do you girls get these notions? Did Willie Oleson tell you that whopper?

Never saw this clip joking about Mike's hair, he did a lot of jokes with Carson but this "lite roast" made me smile because I liked Brian Keith. I didn't realize on a side note he had a sad life later in years.  I also forgot how Lorne did Alpo commercials.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, debraran said:

Never saw this clip joking about Mike's hair, he did a lot of jokes with Carson but this "lite roast" made me smile because I liked Brian Keith. I didn't realize on a side note he had a sad life later in years.  I also forgot how Lorne did Alpo commercials.

I've always liked Brian Keith too. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

You know..I'm surprised Landon never had Lorne Greene  or Pernell Roberts guest star

I heard him and Pernell might not have been as close but Lorne was. This guy did a bit on why he felt he wasn't on the show. I did hear this rumored years ago because it was too similar. I didn't realize he was on Highway to Heaven. Please stay until end of video to see MG and Lorne together. ;)

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

You know..I'm surprised Landon never had Lorne Greene  or Pernell Roberts guest star

I'm honestly not, at least concerning Roberts. I've read interviews where he said that there was tension between him and Landon for a long time because of a comment attributed to him during an interview. Landon felt like Roberts was snubbing them by leaving Bonanza and looked down on them for staying. That's not actually what Roberts felt, but that was how Landon interpreted it. I think they finally made up in the late 70s when they happened to run into each other. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1

The Little House on the Prairie and Sinister crossover that needs to happen...

Toddler Grace Ingalls [Brenda Turnbaugh]: "So... pepper put in in my food?

"Don't worry, Daddy. I'll cure your 'itching foot'".

image.thumb.png.08e975144c640e419343498d5537913a.png

9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

behind the scenes photo of "BLIZZARD"

6wcvbrp19eld1.jpeg?width=1080&crop=smart

I enjoyed those pictures and knowing they were probably so hot filming it. Another one..

image.thumb.png.20f646878e0a3445d2a2c80993db0bf0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm off to the LHOP event tomorrow. So many changes since Nov and I will miss Karen and Gil Gerard (what fun that would have been) Todd Bridges  Mom passed away which was sad and Stan Ivor isn't up to it and Lucy Lee pulled out. Charlotte is coming though and the actor who played Matthew with Mr Edwards.  Matthew "Albert" was added late but not his brother Patrick (he said he wasn't invited)

Any ideas for questions to ask anyone that isn't what we know already.  I look forward to seeing Alison and Dean.

• Like 3

One of my running gags on a long-gone MBS forum software Little House board was drabbles and short fiction featuring Carrie Ingalls's deep, obsessive and all but psychotic hatred of Cassandra for taking what little storylines she had.

Although my drabbles about the Bubbles and Buttercup (The Powerpuff Girls, the 1998 original) style relationship between the Greenbush twins who played Carrie were fun, too.

[when Rachel Lindsay Greenbush was doing her guest spot on "Matt Houston" after the twins left LHOTP]

Rachel Lindsay G.: "Uh, once more, can you please give my character a better name than 'Butterfly'?"

Robin Sidney G. [in a sincere and genuinely cheerful and helpful tone]:

"I suggested Butt Fly!"

Rachel Lindsay G. [turns head slowly. narrows her eyes and adopts a sweetly sinister tone]: "If you say that again, you'll wish you hadn't!"

(edited)

Well, unless it's a book signing, I probably wont go to another of these events. This one was poorly organized but the thousands of people there were 95% nice. (they are LHOP fans) ; )  The lines were way too long and stood still many times. I wont list all the grievances but I will say the 2 I got to see were very gracious and nice, Alison and Matthew. I missed Dean. Most people there 10-4 weren't able to see the most popular ones beyond one or maybe two if they planned well. I'm glad I sold dinner ticket, I heard it wasn't run well, outside and food was "ehh". Some did bid on LHOP merchandise though and one got a replica of house. No idea of price paid.

Matthew was beyond wonderful, kind, patient and very friendly. Came out 3 times to walk the lines and tell how sorry he was. Alison was also nice but her assistant cut the line off at 2pm so she could finish on time and said she worked at Disney once so was used to this. It was humid in her room and they had fan but she had too much merchandise to have it on her. Was a trooper though and made a lot of money off her things. I got a fan which helped me in line for 5.00 she signed and we talked about a favorite episode (when she first got married) and she told me to listen to when she is changing before he Mom burst in, Dave Rose starts to play the stripper song...lol

LHOP fans are one of a kind, they come in all ages, Gen Z to seniors and kids were there and some were on their third event trying to see them all. That dedication is out of my budget and desire but I give them kudos. Jon Kovacs who played Matthew with Mr Edwards is a very handsome man today and a woman was having him sign her car dashboard.....not sure what she'll do when the car is not usable!

I didn't get to see Dean or have him sign my book but he did walk around also to say Hi to people in line knowing they wouldn't get in.

If Todd and Karen were able to make it, I'm sure the chaos with lines would have been worse but all and all it was a day I don't regret but wish I did it over 2 days. They also didn't have much merchandise out to buy other than at the stars tables so I saved a lot of money. My husband was happy.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 6
On 9/2/2024 at 4:47 AM, debraran said:

Well, unless it's a book signing, I probably wont go to another of these events. This one was poorly organized but the thousands of people there were 95% nice. (they are LHOP fans) ; )  The lines were way too long and stood still many times. I wont list all the grievances but I will say the 2 I got to see were very gracious and nice, Alison and Matthew. I missed Dean. Most people there 10-4 weren't able to see the most popular ones beyond one or maybe two if they planned well. I'm glad I sold dinner ticket, I heard it wasn't run well, outside and food was "ehh". Some did bid on LHOP merchandise though and one got a replica of house. No idea of price paid.

Matthew was beyond wonderful, kind, patient and very friendly. Came out 3 times to walk the lines and tell how sorry he was. Alison was also nice but her assistant cut the line off at 2pm so she could finish on time and said she worked at Disney once so was used to this. It was humid in her room and they had fan but she had too much merchandise to have it on her. Was a trooper though and made a lot of money off her things. I got a fan which helped me in line for 5.00 she signed and we talked about a favorite episode (when she first got married) and she told me to listen to when she is changing before he Mom burst in, Dave Rose starts to play the stripper song...lol

LHOP fans are one of a kind, they come in all ages, Gen Z to seniors and kids were there and some were on their third event trying to see them all. That dedication is out of my budget and desire but I give them kudos. Jon Kovacs who played Matthew with Mr Edwards is a very handsome man today and a woman was having him sign her car dashboard.....not sure what she'll do when the car is not usable!

I didn't get to see Dean or have him sign my book but he did walk around also to say Hi to people in line knowing they wouldn't get in.

If Todd and Karen were able to make it, I'm sure the chaos with lines would have been worse but all and all it was a day I don't regret but wish I did it over 2 days. They also didn't have much merchandise out to buy other than at the stars tables so I saved a lot of money. My husband was happy.

I'm considering going to one of these upcoming events in a somewhat distant suburb from my city in the near future so I thank you a great deal for giving me the 411 re what to expect. Yes, I think I'll do my best to be there about two hours before things start to get as close to first in line AND get good parking!  I'll eventually let everyone know whether these intended plans worked out and how things went! Thanks!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I'm considering going to one of these upcoming events in a somewhat distant suburb from my city in the near future so I thank you a great deal for giving me the 411 re what to expect. Yes, I think I'll do my best to be there about two hours before things start to get as close to first in line AND get good parking!  I'll eventually let everyone know whether these intended plans worked out and how things went! Thanks!

Although it varies greatly by site, we had for 10-4, NO EARLIER than 930 posted on FB and email. I arrived 845 and the cop said 9 they could let us in. If I didn't do that in my case, I would have missed 2 popular cast members and probably would have just seen Alison and someone who was a baby then etc. I was in line by 915 and 50 ahead of me for Alison.

I hope you have fun, who is going to your event and expect cancels sadly.

• Useful 1