Type keyword(s) to search

Turn Up Charlie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Turn Up Charlie is an upcoming American comedy web television series created by Idris Elba and Gary Reich that is set to premiere on Netflix. The series will star Elba who is set to executive produce alongside Reich and Tristram Shapeero.

Turn Up Charlie follows "Charlie, a struggling DJ and eternal bachelor, who’s given a final chance at success when he reluctantly becomes a manny to his famous best friend’s problem-child daughter."

Idris Elba’s ‘Turn Up Charlie’ Sets Netflix Premiere Date, Unveils First-Look Photos, Rounds Out Recurring Cast

Netflix has slotted Friday, March 15 for the premiere of new comedy series Turn Up Charlie, starring Idris Elba. The internet TV network also unveiled some first-look photos (see above and below) and rounded out the recurring cast, which includes Angela Griffin (Coronation Street), Guz Khan (Borderline), Jocelyn Jee Esein (Upstart Crow), Jade Anouka (Trauma), Cameron King (Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children) and Dustin Demri-Burns (The Spy Who Dumped Me).

Turn-Up-Charlie-4.jpg.6c9e3d5eb4c23692e6f4b0341796b77b.jpg

I watched the pilot. Let me preface this by saying I love Idris Elba. Like...LOVE Idris Elba.

I did not like this show. I thought the bratty daughter was too precocious by half, the dialogue sounded very "grad student film project," and the acting was community theater level broad.

I'll definitely struggle through the season, because it's only 8 episodes and they're short. And, like I said, I f'love Idris Elba. But, to me? This was not a good show.

Edited by auntiemel

Yeah, I'm having a hard time understanding what Idris was hoping to accomplish with this. Trying to broaden his range is one thing but looking out of your element while doing it is another. And I've been quite amused by the obvious display of Brits doing bad American accents, especially the little girl. Extra funny since Idris can do a near-perfect one.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I really wanted to like this, but I had to stop watching in the third episode. They went way too far over the top with the girl.  She was abusive and horrible, and not funny at all. I was not interested in her home drama and school problems etc...

The first ten minutes of the series was cute, why couldn't the premise be that Idris was a struggling DJ trying to get work and find love or something? No abrasive child/nanny plot.

• Love 3

I didn't like the first episode. Like many of you, I found the child to be annoying, I don't know if it was her acting, or if it was just the script, but I gave the show a chance because of Idris Elba.  I'm happy that I did.  It really started to pick up for me by the third episode.  I enjoyed almost all of the side characters, and I really like Sara.  The kid was also way less annoying in the later episodes.  I also really like how the show ended it's first season; it showed maturity on the kid's part.

• Love 1

I gave this show a chance because of Idris and I finished it because of him. I didn't like the kid or her family drama but once I accepted they were going to focus on them, I was able to tolerate them and it got better, not better enough for me to love it but be okay with it.

I would have loved this show if they had focus on Charlie and his family&friends instead. I thought the best parts were when Charlie was dealing with his family/friends. Those scenes felt real and fresh, not force or a repeat of things that I have seen over and over again on other shows, especially the bratty, spoil, child whose parents neglect for their work. 

• Love 1