Type keyword(s) to search

Selfie - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2021/07/10576476/karen-gillan-nebula-gunpowder-milkshake-selfie

Speaking of Instagram, people are still obsessed with Selfie. Mashable recently wrote about how much they want the show back. Does a return to Selfie ever cross your mind?

“I am amazed at the lasting effects of Selfie because we really only did about 12 or 13 episodes, but somebody just told me it's one of my ‘most known for’ things on IMDB. I get just constant tweets saying, ‘I miss the show,’ and that is just so cool and amazing because I had such a good time doing it. It was my first time reading an American sitcom and I grew up on American sitcoms in Scotland, so it was kind of a bucket list thing to get to do. But yeah, it would be cool to revisit that. I don't know if I like a fulltime full series, but I don't know, maybe like some one off thing or like a shorter thing would be really cool.”

We should get John Cho on the phone and make this happen.

“That would be great! We go along really well, he’s such a nice guy.”

Edited by Testing
  • Love 3

I actually revisited a few episodes of SELFIE recently. Gillan and Cho were such a winning combination. Another series that ABC killed too young; another one being another Emily Kapnek ABC series "Splitting Up Together". 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I actually revisited a few episodes of SELFIE recently. Gillan and Cho were such a winning combination. Another series that ABC killed too young; another one being another Emily Kapnek ABC series "Splitting Up Together". 

Yes!! ABC (as well as other networks like NBC) have canceled good shows.. (Go On was also great with John Cho and Matthew Perry) I haven't seen too much of Splitting Up Together, but I did like Bobby Lee and Lindsay Price's characters on there.

Karen Gillan improvised an ending back in 2015 at 6:07

Recent video about her IMDb page where she learned that she is most known for Selfie at 0:38

Edited by Testing
18 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I actually revisited a few episodes of SELFIE recently.

Is Selfie available/streaming anywhere in the US? It was on Hulu for quite awhile but since they lost it I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else. 😢 I’d love to revisit it!

I will pray to the tv gods that someday we get a movie or a short-run series or something to properly end this wonderful story. 🤞

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Is Selfie available/streaming anywhere in the US? It was on Hulu for quite awhile but since they lost it I haven’t been able to find it anywhere else. 😢 I’d love to revisit it!

Hi, it's not available on legal streaming platforms, but it's on pirated websites if you're okay with that :) I might consider downloading and reuploading to more accessible video sites like YT, Vimeo, etc, but it will take a while..

• Love 1

21 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I thought Karen did a wonderful job singing this,great performance and scene.

She really did a great performance. Seems to be one of the most memorable scenes from the show. 1 million views!

Her American accent was pretty good too. I watched her latest movie, Gunpowder Milkshake, but her Scottish accent seemed to slip out more.

Edited by Testing
  • Love 1

Selfie executive producer Julie Anne Robinson had to fight to cast John Cho. (She also worked on Bridgerton)

2021 interviews

Julie Anne Robinson: I cast John Cho in Selfie. So that role was imagined as a white upper class Englishman like Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady. And it took a really long time to persuade top to bottom of everybody in that chain that John Cho is a perfect choice. And I still love that show and John Cho was the perfect choice, but it's, you know, it's sometimes, it's hard to- If you have a very clear idea of how something should be, it's hard to kind of get past that.

Refinery29: ...she was integral in the breakout casting of...John Cho as the romantic hero in the late, great ABC sitcom Selfie. Although social media is now filled with Cho thirst, the Korean-American actor wasn’t “what people were ‘expecting’” for the lead network part in 2014, when the series was cast. Still, Robinson fought for Cho and won, telling Refinery29, “That’s what I’m most proud of about that whole pilot.”

Edited by SelfieIgnite
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I was poking around IMDB and saw that Selfie creator Emily Kapnek has a show in pre-production called Rhona who Lives by the River with Karen Gillan and John Cho. It's categorized as Animation, Musical and "Follows Rhona #3, the third-most-interesting Rhona in town, whose life is utterly dull. After an accident, she receives the ability to make her own wishes come true."

• Useful 1
On 4/28/2023 at 5:31 AM, krankydoodle said:

I was poking around IMDB and saw that Selfie creator Emily Kapnek has a show in pre-production called Rhona who Lives by the River with Karen Gillan and John Cho. It's categorized as Animation, Musical and "Follows Rhona #3, the third-most-interesting Rhona in town, whose life is utterly dull. After an accident, she receives the ability to make her own wishes come true."

I think John Cho wasn't officially announced yet for Rhona, but it's exciting they're working on a new project. 

Also, Karen Gillan and John Cho recently met a couple months ago. There are talks about a Selfie movie.

FrdgIzyagAEqk0W.jpg

selfiemovie.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1