Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Jeremiah's Dark Past

Jeremiah faces challenges as he opens his donut stand for the first time; Mary attends church for the first time since returning home; Shelly debates whether she should contact her biological mother; Dawn wonders about going home.

Aired December 9, 2018.

Well, Lowell is certainly shaping up to be an asshole.

Carmela looks like crap ever since getting involved with Jeremiah.  I feel bad for her being involved with him, but it's not like there weren't already several seasons of this show before she married him to warn her of what she was going to face with him.

• Love 1

They are all assholes as far as I can see. Jeremy is still crying over the fact that he was adopted..it is what it is..accept it and move on. Nothing will ever change that fact. The other three adopted ones are not doing so hot either it looks like. Does Shelly have short hair? I thought they didn't cut their hair, but no way long African American hair would ever fit under that small cap. Why is the old woman still traveling with them? I am not sure what the whole premise of the show is about this season? Making donuts with a machine that does not work, and four adoptees that have never accepted that fact and are now losers? Fun fun show..not!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, Lowell is certainly shaping up to be an asshole.

Carmela looks like crap ever since getting involved with Jeremiah.  I feel bad for her being involved with him, but it's not like there weren't already several seasons of this show before she married him to warn her of what she was going to face with him.

1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

They are all assholes as far as I can see. Jeremy is still crying over the fact that he was adopted..it is what it is..accept it and move on. Nothing will ever change that fact. The other three adopted ones are not doing so hot either it looks like. Does Shelly have short hair? I thought they didn't cut their hair, but no way long African American hair would ever fit under that small cap. Why is the old woman still traveling with them? I am not sure what the whole premise of the show is about this season? Making donuts with a machine that does not work, and four adoptees that have never accepted that fact and are now losers? Fun fun show..not!

There goes Jeremiah again, thinking he can earn respect by yelling at people. I used to work with someone just like him, the guy even looked like him a little. We all walked on eggshells around him. Instead of earning respect, he created a fearful work environment. Much like Jeremiah, he'd explode if his methodology was questioned. Most of us left the job, which was a great and fun job, because of him. The turnover wreaked havoc on the place. They were always training new people who would wind up leaving a month or two later because of this one person. If this were a real, not-on-tv scenario, Jeremiah would be running his little donut shack alone. 

Not sure what to think about Sabrina or how this work thing is going to go for her. She's already felt "sick" and been late so, who knows. 

* I agree that poor Carmela is looking a little haggard. Just my thoughts but she and Jeremiah need a break. He's just too volatile. He has abandonment issues yet he scares people away with his aggression, compounding his problems. She'd been warned, I agree. 

* As far as Lowell goes, I think he's always been like that with the ladies. No way could he handle a child right now and his GF is kinda clueless. In fact, she doesn't even seem like his type--I think she was just a convenience for him at the time. 

* I disagree that the adoptees are somehow "losers". They're having a rough go, scripted show or not, that doesn't make them "losers". Being adopted is a lot to work through. And the "old woman" is Jeramiah's business partner, without her, this traveling dysfunction would not have happened. She kinda has a say in the day-to-day operations. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Had to correct auto-correct
  • Love 4

You don't think Jeremy and Sabrina are losers? I don't know how I would feel if I were adopted, but that can never be changed and crying about it now is pointless? They could have been in bad foster homes instead, or had bad parents who abused them. Life is not always fair or good, but at some point, a person has to  let the past go and live in the present.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:33 PM, winsomeone said:

You don't think Jeremy and Sabrina are losers? I don't know how I would feel if I were adopted, but that can never be changed and crying about it now is pointless? They could have been in bad foster homes instead, or had bad parents who abused them. Life is not always fair or good, but at some point, a person has to  let the past go and live in the present.

Having watched that TLC show "Long Lost Family" I've realized that it's not uncommon for adoptees to have life long self image issues and a nagging feeling that their birth mothers didn't love them.  That will do a number on anyone, not just the Jeremiahs of the world.  But his case goes even further in that it looks like he found his birth mother but she didn't want to have anything to do with him.  That has to hurt worse than anything I can imagine.  So I give him a lot of slack for a lousy upbringing by the Amish and then the double rejection from his birth mother.  That would make even the strongest souls feel pretty worthless.  What he needs more than anything is good individual therapy to help him resolve those issues.  But I can't blame him in the least for having them in the first place.  That kind of pain doesn't go away by just "bucking up" and adopting a new attitude.  It's very deep and very crippling.  That doesn't detract from the fact that he's toxic to be around in his present state, though.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5