Type keyword(s) to search

Once Upon a Deadpool (2018 Special Engagement)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, WritinMan said:

While the primary influence here is obviously The Princess Bride, I'm picking up some Misery vibes as well.

It's actually pretty good callback to both Deadpool encouraging Dopinder when he kidnapped Bantu and Deadpool's very obvious 1980's childhood nostalgia kick.

I saw this last night and thought it was really cute.  The wrap arounds with Fred Savage were hysterical, although in the beginning, they made the movie feel really choppy.  After a while though, they cut back on the number of them and it flowed a bit better.  Of course, Deadpool needs to be R-rated, so it wasn't quite the same and took a bit of getting used to, but there were still a lot of laughs (and most of the people in the theater were adults, so it wasn't a bunch of kids laughing,  not knowing what they had to look forward to when they got older). 

I was surprised, though, at some of what they kept in and what they cut.  Some of it would have made me flinch if I had a 13 year old with me.  For ex. they cut the line from Wade saying something about being inside Domino and her responding "You know how that sounds, right?", but left in the part about making love to a soap dispenser and then cutting to Colossus smelling his fingers.  But, all in all, they did a pretty good job making a PG-13 movie from existing footage.

The end credit scenes were great and there was a lovely tribute to Stan Lee.

I just wish they had marketed it better since the proceeds were going to cancer research.  I've talked to a few people about it over the past couple of weeks and they had no idea what I was talking about. 

• Love 1