Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: White Collar Pilot - "You Know How I Like Smart"

(edited)

Since there are no episode threads started yet, I thought I'd get one going for the Pilot of this wonderful show. Given there will likely be only 6 more episodes before this entire show comes to an end, I feel like having a series rewatch! Please join in.

Tonight, my general thoughts on the pilot episode of White Collar:

There's just something so magical about the pilot episode for me. Many have talked about it before, over on Television Without Pity and among other forums, but I have to say that I continue to marvel at it whenever I rewatch it. The energy is so fun and smart, and I love all the characters.

From the moment Peter said, "He's smart, you know how I like smart," I liked Peter Burke because he wasn't going to be a stereotype. He wasn't going to be the idiot to Neal's slick conman. He was smart enough to think hard on what Neal had proposed, he listened to his wife's thoughts on the matter as well, and gave something a shot that most people wouldn't. Plus, when he shows up that arrogant book seller who got detained in the airport ("Snow White didn't start with Disney, Detective Burke" -- what an ass), I just loved it because Peter's intelligent, informed, sharp response showed that Peter was going to be a formidable presence of his own. Neal may be the smooth charmer, but Peter had smarts and humor and a charm all his own. And they made such a terrific team, despite themselves.

Another thing I loved: when Peter is annoyed that Neal came across all this fortune just on happenstance by meeting June in the thrift store, and he gives that speech about how life doesn't work that way, that he's not supposed to get that kind of stuff, he works for what he gets, and Neal wants to know why he can't have those things. That whole conversation just says so much about both characters. About how hard-working and full of integrity Peter Burke is, about how he thinks Neal's led a charmed life, and how Peter may be holding himself back in life by being so structured and rigid and not being open to all of life's possibilities the way Neal is. Because maybe Neal doesn't deserve all of what he manages to get, but at the same time there's the question of "Why not?" If you work hard and you're open to opportunity, why not?

It's like Peter's punishing himself, putting himself in the proverbial corner, not allowing himself to indulge in anything beyond what's expected of him as an agent and a man, but then he gets mad at Neal for going for it in his own life, you know? It's just so interesting, and that whole scene where they talk about the coffee and the 'cappuccino in the clouds' and all that shows so much about their perspectives about life and happiness/contentment and how they live and how they see things. They're both smart, capable men, but they approach things so differently, and I see in that scene that they could be good for one another. That Peter could teach Neal about hard work and behaving with honesty and integrity, and Neal could teach Peter to loosen up a little, not live in such a structured box, that it's not that life is one big party but that it's okay to have a little fun, try new things, be open to life's possibilities.

There's something about the way Neal says, "Where would I go?" (right at the end when Peter asks him if he'll still be there when Peter gets back from his vacation to Belize) that cracks me up. He's just so cocky and smooth in that moment, I can't help but be charmed by him and at the same time not trust that smart ass little grin one bit. It's marvelous, and Matt Bomer plays it so well. Good stuff.

There are shows that have pilots that are pretty awesome, ones that get me on the hook, make me want to watch the show. And I'll rewatch those pilot episodes, but usually I find there's at least one other episode from the series that I love more than the pilot. With White Collar, there are plenty of episodes and moments and scenes that I love, but the pilot episode is pretty pristine as my ultimate favorite. It beautifully sets up everything and feels so smart and smooth and engaging. Funny and clever and interesting. I just can't compliment it enough.

I think this is one of the best pilot episodes out there, certainly in my top 10. (Not that I've ever made a top 10 pilot list, but now I find I want to, just to see what would make the list. But that's for another day.) I love this episode. I could watch it over and over and over again, and still notice more "little details" that make the whole thing work so well.

Not every pilot episode gels so thoroughly right off the bat, but Tim DeKay and Matt Bomer had a fantastic handle on their characters and the relationship between those characters from day 1, and the script was so fun. It highlighted everything perfectly: the banter, the rhythms of their conversations, the truth and the masks (especially interesting how you can see Neal put on his charming con man smile when he sees he's not getting through to Peter, trying to mask his disappointment and act like he's already over it and won't pursue Kate), the similarities and contrasts to the two characters, and the overall complexity of their relationship. How well they work together, even when they clash.

Everything involving the friendship and partnership between Peter Burke and Neal Caffrey, it's all right there in the pilot. There's something very special about the two of them, sparked from this very first episode, and that's why I was drawn to this show and why I continue to watch this show. It will always be about the two of them. Everything else is secondary to that crucial relationship.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4
(edited)

I love watching how Neal and Peter work on boundaries: Peter trying to establish them, Neal trying to see how far he can push them, readjust them.  It's a sign of how smart Peter is that he allows Neal to reset them at times: allowing the move from the fleabag hotel to June's mansion, not forbidding him from coming to his home, letting him sit on his couch, get to know his wife, pet his dog.   It startles him to find Neal there, and you can see him figuring how to handle this -- careful not to overreact, but naturally protective of Elizabeth, about letting a felon into their home.  It helps that Elizabeth handles it so well, and you can imagine Peter thinking that it might work to his advantage to have Neal feel comfortable with them.  Other handlers might have insisted on something more by-the-book, especially at first, but Peter knows what Neal is doing.  This is how Neal works his marks: ingratiating himself, insinuating himself into their personal lives, using his natural charm and sense of fun in order to use them even as he allows them in some way to use him, all so that in the end he can take what he wants and make a clean getaway.

Peter knows there's a risk in allowing him to get so close, to let him to have his way, but Peter's getting something important from this arrangement, too, in the form of expert help with his cases, learning about the criminal world from Neal, just as Neal is learning more about the FBI and how it works (a home-study course in Warrant Law, for example).   He's also enjoying Neal, having fun with him.   Both Peter and Neal open up to one another to some extent about their relationships with Elizabeth and Kate.    By letting Neal into their home, Peter also enlists Elizabeth's help with Neal.  He trusts her judgment, confides in her about his cases, and she's smart enough to see Neal clearly.   She may enjoy having a new, fascinating friend in their lives, but her first concern is to protect Peter, so she will also see Neal as con artist and felon, someone who may have another agenda besides looking out for Peter when they are on a case.

It helps to see Neal in the scenes with Mozzie.   He's a different Neal from the one we see when he's with Peter.   All pretense aside, he can concentrate on what is really important:finding Kate, getting free of the anklet, concerned with solving the Hagen case as a way to keep himself out of prison. 

There's a moment in the street scene walk-and-talk with Peter where he and Peter argue about Kate -- Peter trying to convince him she's dumped him, Neal not accepting that, when suddenly he realizes he's pushed Peter's good will too far.  He immediately backs off and admits he must be wrong about her, changing the subject back to the case.   Peter doesn't exactly believe this sudden change, but lets it go.   

They push, they pull, they learn, they step back, they argue, they have a good time, but they are a long way from trusting one another -- and yet, for very brief, magical moments, you see they do, and they see it, too, and it is thrilling to watch.   In the pilot we get a preview of what the relationship must always be - a work in progress.   

In prison, Neal has worked on maintaining contact with Peter, perhaps to irritate Peter, perhaps out of boredom, perhaps to show off, but perhaps, too, because he sensed some connection there, sensed something in Peter that he needed in his life.   Showing up at Peter's home is a kind of breaking-in, a breaking-through.  Perhaps it was only the con artist in him, but even in that first episode I sensed something more, something deeper.   Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.  If he'd had the chance he'd have been gone, run after Kate, vanished.

I came across this line in the book I've been reading this week, Yiyun Li's, Kinder Than Solitude.   

A vanishing act is an old trick; nevertheless it works on hearts of all ages:  could it be that we will never be rid of that child in us, who, panicking about never seeing a beloved face again, is still screaming to this day?

Edited by nico
  • Love 2

My husband and I were looking for something to binge watch this summer and as I have a huge crush on Matt Bomer, we agreed on this series. Wow! We watched the pilot tonight and I am hooked. I agree with all the points above. I look forward to seeing how this partnership grows and develops. They have great chemistry. We learned so much about Neil's past by being showed it, not told it. I loved Diann Carroll as June. I loved it all and look forward to watching this with you all.

• Love 1

Just found this pilot on NetFlix yesterday.  My husband and I watched three episodes and could have easily binged the whole 1st season but decided that we would pace ourselves since it is easily the best show we've seen in a long long time.  Is it 6 seasons?

• Love 1
(edited)

So great that you've found this show, CoolMom! I still contend that the White Collar pilot episode is one of the best pilot episodes out there. So many shows have pilots that are trying to find their footing, who the characters are, what the show's about, what makes the show strong, but White Collar's pilot shows all of that so beautifully! The Burke-Caffrey partnership, the intelligence of both lead characters, the push-pull struggle of Neal's worlds (to be "good" versus to be the "con"), the humor, the action, all of it is SO MUCH FUN in that pilot episode. The first time I saw it, I said, I have to watch this show. In some ways, I suppose the pilot episode is like Neal. It lures you in with charm and humor and smoothness and makes you want more.  *GRIN*

I hope you enjoy the show as you make your way through the seasons!

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3