Type keyword(s) to search

Best/Worst Sibling Relationships

• Start Topic

On 8/22/2022 at 2:04 AM, Bastet said:

I just came across this again while going around the dial, so I must mention one of my favorite scenes from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the scene between Stacy and Brad - who have the typically mildly antagonistic sibling relationship - when she asks him for a ride to the bowling alley and, after dropping her off, he realizes she's actually going to an abortion clinic.

He sticks around and waits for her to be released, and when she asks him not to tell their parents, he immediately scoffs "Come on" -- there's no way he'll betray her like that.  He asks "who did it", but when she won't say, he leaves it at that (rather than flying into some patriarchal rage where he must "avenge" her), simply asking her if she's okay.  When she says she is, he offers to take her to get something to eat and off they go.

It's so well done, because it doesn't suddenly give them some saccharine relationship they don't have, but it honors the bond they do (not to mention presents a refreshingly realistic presentation of abortion as a procedure that is a tremendous relief to the majority of those who have one).

Unfortunately Perks of Being A Wallflower had to delete the abortion scene to keep the movie PG-13 but I thought Nina Dobrev and Logan Lerman did wonderful work here.

You really do forget when you're a teenager that other people have their own stuff they're working through.

• Love 6

Malin Akerman and Katherine Heigl in 27 Dresses on the "bad" side. I get why she freaked out (and it wasn't really about the dress) but I think it was a lovely gesture for Malin to use parts of the mother's dress for her own wedding dress. That could be the start of a lovely tradition in the family. 

• Like 1
On 4/25/2023 at 10:52 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Malin Akerman and Katherine Heigl in 27 Dresses on the "bad" side. I get why she freaked out (and it wasn't really about the dress) but I think it was a lovely gesture for Malin to use parts of the mother's dress for her own wedding dress. That could be the start of a lovely tradition in the family. 

I don’t know. It’s one thing to alter your mother’s dress but to cut it up without at least talking to her about it first? That’s pretty bad.

Anyway, Malin’s character was a bitch, but I didn’t my have a whole lot of patience for Jane, who embraced being a doormat while shoving down her resentment until it finally exploded. It’s good that she finally recognized it in the end, so points for that I guess.

• Like 7
On 4/25/2023 at 8:52 PM, methodwriter85 said:

It's been a while since I've watched that movie, but I thought the sister threw away most of the dress and just kept a little scrap of fabric.  It was basically a new dress.  

• Like 3