Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Our Own Private America

Hell yeah!  Stephen Lang is Cotton's father!  A father who makes Cotton and his past actions seem almost reasonable.  Hey, at least Cotton conducts trials and what; it seems like his dad is all about "Just burn them!" method.  Can't way to see what else this character will bring, and hopefully get some more scenes between Lang and Seth Gabel.  Love this bit of casting.  It also looks like he was close to George and Mary.

So, including the family tonight, I guess this means Mary now needs five more sacrifices before this moon thing.  The previews for next week already showed one potential new target, but I wonder who else might be on the list.

This episode sure did ramp up the sex, with all the sex dreams between Alden/Mary (with an added bonus of a brief Alden/Mary/Anne threeway), and Alden apparently going to that whorehouse, after the second dream walking put him into a sexual daze or something.

(edited)

Yeah, I am anxious to see how Cotton's father will factor into things now.  Of course, he doesn't realize that his rash action of burning that family alive only serves to help Mary and the witches. Cotton has grown on my since his friendship with Alden and the softening of his Puritanical views.  He's at least stopped rushing to burn/hang/stone people at whim.  I fear things will end badly for his whore in the next episode or two, though.

And no kidding about the ramping up of the sex.  They must have overspent in special effects this week, because they couldn't even afford a shirt-budget for poor Shane West this episode!

I'm glad they've given Mercy more to do.  Mary may regret "making" her if she continues to spiral out of control or becomes unmanageable.  I like her little rivalry with Tituba for Mary's affection.  I feel like they've wasted that Isaac the Fornicator guy.  His character is super-irrelevant, and I forgot he was even on the show until he popped up most of the way through the episode for no good reason.

Edited by Matteo
  • Love 1

I totally forgot about Isaac until he popped up this episode as well... though he seems a bit more... off... since his last bout of bewitching, poor guy. 

So, I guess today was sex and violence day in the town of Salem. If you weren't humping (or being Bundled to prevent humping, then you were getting your throat slit. Yikes And to think I was so proud of Aldan to have avoided employing the brothel for so long, but then he goes in there, says he needs at least 3, but ends up with  like 5 or 6 of them. Sounds expensive.

I take back any nasty thing I may have said or implied about Cotton. Bow howdy, his father is a monster. He was just so damn casual about burning a whole family alive *shudders*. Plus its a pet peeve of mine for overbearing parents to speak to their adult offspring as though they are. simpleminded children.  Poor Cotton, if we didn't already know his girlfriend was getting accused next week I'd think he'd be tempted to marry her just to spite his father. Can't say I'd blame him either.

No one was ever burned for witchcraft at Salem, or, to the best of my knowledge, in America.  Another example of this series playing fast and loose with history.

Even captured Indians were not burned alive during King Philip's War (1675-1676), a bloody drama in which Increase Mather played no small part.

Slaves were burned at the stake in New York City during the Negro Conspiracy of 1741.

(edited)

I take back any nasty thing I may have said or implied about Cotton. Bow howdy, his father is a monster. He was just so damn casual about burning a whole family alive *shudders*. Plus its a pet peeve of mine for overbearing parents to speak to their adult offspring as though they are. simpleminded children.  Poor Cotton, if we didn't already know his girlfriend was getting accused next week I'd think he'd be tempted to marry her just to spite his father. Can't say I'd blame him either.

Yeah, Increase Mather is a real asshole in this show. Given how edgy and boundary-pushing they seem to want to be, I honestly thought we would see him make good on his threat to whip Cotton, and we'd get some bare-assed, unsettling father-son whipping scene to completely squick us out.

I have heard that all "witches" from the real history of Salem were either hanged or dunked, like they have teased in the new preview, but yeah... none were ever burned at the stake.  It's obvious this show isn't some historial period piece trying to tell a rational account of the trials though, so I don't really mind at all.

Edited by Matteo
  • Love 1