Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: The Weight of the World

• Start Topic

THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD

The Good; The dream sequence is wonderful, nice scene between Doc and Xander/Spike too. Love the forgetting Glory joke (as did the writers of Dr Who to judge by 'The Silence').

The Bad; Very much a standing still sort of ep but hinting at better things to come. If Doc could tell that Joyce had good DNA from a hair off Dawn's head then surely he'd realise she was the Key? (Glory can tell it by tasting Tara's blood)

Best line; Dawn "I want to go home" (AAAAWWWWWW!)

Jeez!; Dawn hostage is horrible. Buffy in her dream smothering Dawn is UTTERLY horrible! Killing Dawn is unthinkable.

Kinky dinky; Spike says he thinks Buffy likes it rough. And

Spoiler

season 6 will prove him right!

Captain Subtext; Again Glory seems to have some genuine rapport/attraction with her Key. Glory says that she and Dawn need 'Girl time' and 'big girl fun'.

Apocalypses; 5,

Scoobies in bondage: Buffy: 8 Giles: 4 Cordy: 5 Will: 3 Jenny: 1 Angel: 4 Oz: 1 Faith: 3 Joyce: 1 Wes: 1 Xander; 1 Dawn; 1

Scoobies knocked out: Buffy: 16 Giles: 10 Cordy: 6 Xander: 8 Will: 5 Jenny: 2 Angel: 6 Oz: 3 Faith: 1 Joyce: 3 Wes: 1 Anya;1

Kills: Buffy: 94 vamps, 32 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot Giles: 5 vamps, 1 demon Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon Will: 6 vamps Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie Faith: 16 vamps, 5 demons, 3 humans Xander: 5 vamps, 2 zombies, a demon, a demon Anya: a demon Riley; 18 vamps + 7 demons

Scoobies go evil: Giles: 1 Cordy: 1 Will: 2 Jenny: 1 Angel: 1 Oz: 1 Joyce: 1 Xander: 3

Alternate scoobies: Buffy: 6 Giles: 3 Cordy: 1 Will: 2 Jenny: 2 Angel: 3 Oz: 2 Joyce: 2 Xander: 3

Recurring characters killed: 10 Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce

Sunnydale deaths; 89;

Total number of scoobies: 6 Giles, Xander, Willow, Buffy, Anya, Tara,

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?) Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot: Giles: 2 Angel: 3 Oz: 4 Riley; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost: Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes? Cordy: 1? Buffy: 3 confirmed; Angel, Parker,Riley, 1 possible, Dracula(?) Angel: 1;Buffy Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?) Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca Faith:2 ;Xander, Riley Xander: 2; Faith, Anya Willow: 2;Oz and Tara Riley; 3; Buffy, Sandy and unnamed vampwhore

Questions and observations; Different little Buffy this time and I think she's a much better match, if you've ever seen the burger ads she really does resemble 6 year old SMG. Lovely to see Joyce and Hank again, lovely to see the first meeting between Buffy and Dawn and what she means to Buffy. We see Glory try to bring her worldly goods with her to her home dimension, humanity working on demons once again. Willow in charge once more

Spoiler

foretelling season 6.

Glory actually uses Dawn's catchphrase 'Get out!'

So Ben, good guy, bad guy? Hard to judge but ultimately a bad guy with some sympathetic qualities. Maybe in the end Ben is influenced by his Glory side to be evil?

Marks out of 10; 7/10

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, lembergwatcher said:

Don't remember that ep so well. Probably because it was too booooring IMO. One of those Buffy episodes I have no desire to watch for the second/third time.

It's sort of a standing still ep, cleansing the palate and setting things up for what is to come next, it's enjoyable enough without being earth-shaking. 

I like this episode. It's definitely stronger thematically than the previous one. It's got that feeling of building up to the season finale, with all the pressures and despair Buffy has felt over season 5 building up to the boiling point that's this inevitable nervous breakdown. I've got a feeling that the next episode will be the culmination of all these feelings Buffy has, addressing how she feels about the responsibility she carries as a Slayer and, depending on how the episode goes, I guess we'll get to see if she truly has a death wish that's resulted from the weariness of all the deaths and tragedies she had to endure as the Slayer. God, I hope it won't disappoint. There's a lot of hype built on this finale.

I've always had a fondness for the more unconventional episodes with an even more abstract metaphorical structure than usual such as "Restless" and "The Body". They seem to be more intricate in their writing and far more impressive. This is far weaker than those other two episodes because of the whole Glory/Ben schtick dragging on far longer than needed, but I really like the Buffy-mind sequence where Buffy's guilt has finally become too much for her. There's always been a fine line between Slayer and killer in this series, so this "death is your gift" idea associating Buffy as a bringer of death seems like a discussion that was inevitable. Season 4 tried to do that with the whole ambiguity of killing/experimenting on demons, but Lindsay Crouse had to leave the show and the whole structure of that season came tumbling down. But it's nice that season 5 finally gets to play around with this idea of Slayer and death.

8 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

I like this episode. It's definitely stronger thematically than the previous one. It's got that feeling of building up to the season finale, with all the pressures and despair Buffy has felt over season 5 building up to the boiling point that's this inevitable nervous breakdown. I've got a feeling that the next episode will be the culmination of all these feelings Buffy has, addressing how she feels about the responsibility she carries as a Slayer and, depending on how the episode goes, I guess we'll get to see if she truly has a death wish that's resulted from the weariness of all the deaths and tragedies she had to endure as the Slayer. God, I hope it won't disappoint. There's a lot of hype built on this finale.

I've always had a fondness for the more unconventional episodes with an even more abstract metaphorical structure than usual such as "Restless" and "The Body". They seem to be more intricate in their writing and far more impressive. This is far weaker than those other two episodes because of the whole Glory/Ben schtick dragging on far longer than needed, but I really like the Buffy-mind sequence where Buffy's guilt has finally become too much for her. There's always been a fine line between Slayer and killer in this series, so this "death is your gift" idea associating Buffy as a bringer of death seems like a discussion that was inevitable. Season 4 tried to do that with the whole ambiguity of killing/experimenting on demons, but Lindsay Crouse had to leave the show and the whole structure of that season came tumbling down. But it's nice that season 5 finally gets to play around with this idea of Slayer and death.

Frankly any ep which brings Joyce back gets my vote. 

• Love 1

One nice joke (which gets beaten to death), some lovely Willow bits (saying "hi" to the Primal Slayer; talking to Bitty Buffy about conversations she'll later have with High School Buffy), and of course Buffy killing Dawn time after time is what we've been waiting for all season.  (Well, some of us, anyhow.)

But so obviously a pointless stall (I "like" how Glory just wants to perform the ritual and the priest is all "No, Glorificus! The season-arc may only be resolved in the finale!") capped off by that excruciating endless Ben/Glory morphing scene where they "argue", despite the fact that the entire season's plot has depended on their not knowing what the other one knows…grrr.  Yes, yes, cut-and-paste to cover for SMG's Australian schedule, but still.  I'd rather they'd done a clip show of bits snipped from other episodes.  (Riley discussing his field of study in BvD, etc.)

Fun fact:  since the two syndication loops were three seasons apart, we would sometimes get this and 2.21 on the same day.  Which means a double-dose of Hank Summers [voice only in S2]  and our only two looks at Buffy's LA home, bar the movie.  Interesting juxtaposition, as I noted in a syndication thread on TWoP, at least a decade ago.  (Sigh…)

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

One nice joke (which gets beaten to death), some lovely Willow bits (saying "hi" to the Primal Slayer; talking to Bitty Buffy about conversations she'll later have with High School Buffy), and of course Buffy killing Dawn time after time is what we've been waiting for all season.  (Well, some of us, anyhow.)

But so obviously a pointless stall (I "like" how Glory just wants to perform the ritual and the priest is all "No, Glorificus! The season-arc may only be resolved in the finale!") capped off by that excruciating endless Ben/Glory morphing scene where they "argue", despite the fact that the entire season's plot has depended on their not knowing what the other one knows…grrr.  Yes, yes, cut-and-paste to cover for SMG's Australian schedule, but still.  I'd rather they'd done a clip show of bits snipped from other episodes.  (Riley discussing his field of study in BvD, etc.)

Fun fact:  since the two syndication loops were three seasons apart, we would sometimes get this and 2.21 on the same day.  Which means a double-dose of Hank Summers [voice only in S2]  and our only two looks at Buffy's LA home, bar the movie.  Interesting juxtaposition, as I noted in a syndication thread on TWoP, at least a decade ago.  (Sigh…)

I liked that, it was a nice change from the relentlessness of the past few eps

So, I'm not keeping this one in my FUSE archive (obviously), but I thought I'd have a look at That Joke, just for memory's sake.  And one thing that I hadn't remembered is just before, when Spike wants slap Buffy around (er, wants to revive Buffy by slapping her around, whatever, surrrrre, Sparky). Xander responds to that with simple logic.

SPIKE:  I'm willing to wager that, when all's said and done, Buffy likes it rough.

Xander punches Spike right in the face!

Too little, too late…but still fun.

Unfortunately, Willow spoils things by glumly giving people assignments and such.  Which is pushing it, IMO.  Yes, we've got to get back to Sunnydale and we can't let the guys fight all night.  But you can give Xander a couple minutes' worth, right?  I mean, it's not as if Spike can hit back (he had a chip-flinch smacking Buffy), why don't you go wash up before everyone has to pile into Ben's car, Will?  It would be awkward if you had to stop for a pee, might as well have everyone go now.

Or you could try to reach Buffy some more:

WILLOW:  Buffy? It's me, Willow—

in the background, Xander keeps punching Spike.  Spike stumbles backwards, muttering curses, while Xander keeps punching.

WILLOW (ignoring them):  I just wanted to say that I'm sorry.  It's okay if you can't save us right now, we'll find a way to do this.  If you need to rest, you can.  

Xander lands another punch.  Spike falls to the ground, whimpering.

WILLOW:  You can just rest up and keep Tara company.  I mean, not "company" company, but just being quiet together—

XANDER: Okay, we can wrap this up now.  My hand's starting to hurt.

SPIKE (from the ground, weakly):  Bloody Hell…

No? Oh, come on! [/Spike, Doomed]

Anyway, so we move on to the actual Joke and, um…

SPIKE: Ben came, turned into Glory, snatched the kid and vanished.  Remember?

Everyone stares at him, blankly.  (Par for the course for Tara, but still.)

SPIKE (confused): You do remember?  (No response) Is everyone here very stoned?

Still nothing.

SPIKE (annoyed):  Ben! Glory! He's a doctor, she's the Beast!  Two entirely separate entities sharing one body!  It's like a bloody sitcom.  Surely you remember?

XANDER:  So you're saying Ben…and Glory…

ANYA: …have a connection?

GILES:  Yes, obviously.  But what kind?

Er, no to that last bit, Doug Petrie.  It's one thing to make it so that humans can't remember seeing the transformation, but Giles and Anya should be able to understand what Spike is saying, you'd think.  They might not believe him (it is Spike, after all), but that's a different issue; they shouldn't have trouble understanding what his words mean.

It's one thing for the Scoobs to be confused by the memories they lack, but to have Giles suddenly hypothesizing about "a connection" when Spike just SAID what it was seems a bit silly, honestly.

I mean, it's a fun joke to watch them run with, but…eh.

GLORY:  What's he doing?

HIGH PRIEST:  I must anoint the Key.

Wait…so Dawn is the Anointed One??  Huh.  Talk about taking that "the Slayer shall not know [Her]" bit reeeeallly far.

[Oz voice] "Actually, it explains a LOT." [/Oz]

Continuing:

HIGH PRIEST:  But—

GLORY (yelling):  Get out, get out, get out!

Wait, what?

So Ben is Glory and Glory is Dawn and Dawn is the Anointed?  I'm so confused…

(Damn, that would have made such a great trick clue in that dialogue game I used to play.  I could have put "Get out, get out, get out!" up, watched people guess Dawn as the speaker and chuckled.  Oh, well.)

BITTY BUFFY:  Mommy, Daddy, you're back!

Hank and Joyce enter, Joyce carrying baby Dawn

Well, it's only been five episodes since Kristine Sutherland was in The Body, but it's been 66 eps since we've heard Dean Butler (Becoming, Part 1) and 86 since we've seen him on screen (When She Was Bad).  No wonder Buffy's so excited.  Welcome back, Hank!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

XANDER:  How're you doing?

GILES: It only hurts when I answer pointless questions.

Wow, that pile of "Oh, fuck you, Giles" lines just keeps growing, doesn't it?  You were speared through the gut and need Xander's help to put on your jacket, here.  Gee, forgive the kid for having basic manners.  That's certainly plenty of reason to snark at him!

You asshole.

GLORY:  I'm hating this, Murk.

Hey, it's no party for us, either, sis.  Shut up and deal.

(Also, I typed "Mork" by mistake.  Robin Williams would have improved the episode by a fuck-ton, it's true.)

ETA:  Just spotted the crew guy wandering through the background of the shot when Glory is boring us to death by philosophizing about human emotions.  He must have been too tired to hold his spot and just said "whatever, I need to get a smoke".  

(After Glory says "just getting jerked around by what they're feeling" and we cut to a close up.  It can't be a minion, because they wear robes and this guy's in a nicely visible light blue shirt.  Good going on the quality control, editor!)

Edited by Halting Hex