Type keyword(s) to search

White Boy Rick (2018)

BuyMoreAndSave
  • Start Topic

I saw this today because I read about Rick's story years ago and I thought it was interesting. The movie was pretty good. The kid who played Rick was in his first acting role ever and he did a really good job, but I could tell he was from Baltimore from his accent though (apparently I've watched too many episodes of The Wire). Matthew McConaughey was a bit too "I'M ACTING!" about his role although part of that was the script. The cinematography and atmosphere was probably the best part of the movie. Another thing was that the pacing of the movie was a little weird, but that also made it more realistic.

Apparently the real Rick's sister is not happy with how her family was portrayed in the movie and she says she never even tried heroin despite being portrayed as a junkie in the movie. I'm not sure why movies always have to make stuff up when the story itself is interesting enough. EDIT: BTW here's more information on the story. The movie actually left out or only alluded to certain things such as that Rick was going to implicate the mayor in the drug trade and that's probably why he got so much time: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyk5mq/a-new-true-crime-doc-about-white-boy-rick-will-make-you-madder-than-hell

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

The cinematography and atmosphere was probably the best part of the movie.

Yes. It really captured the grittiness of Detroit. And kudos to whoever is in charge of recreating eras--the hair, the clothes, EVERYTHING  just SCREAMED mid-80's.

• Love 1

I loved the moment of them at the drive-in, not really being interested in Footloose. I LOVE that movie, and that version of 1984 contrasts so much with the version of 1984 that these characters are living in.

I also liked that this took a low-key approach to everything. Rick is a kid who has lived and seen a lot of shit. I liked that he more or less stayed true to that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Camille said:

Yes. It really captured the grittiness of Detroit. And kudos to whoever is in charge of recreating eras--the hair, the clothes, EVERYTHING  just SCREAMED mid-80's.

I LOVED the wardrobe for this movie. Even though the clothes seem basic, they were stylish in an understated way, and people don't dress like that these days.

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

My Rule 32 for this movie was when Rick's crew was up and running he got that Mercedes with the vanity plate "SNOWMAN". Because that's exactly what a dumbass 16 year-old kid with serious money for the first time in his life would do.

He actually did that in real life. I remember reading that in an article years ago.