Type keyword(s) to search

Nash Bridges - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Here's the schedule for next Monday, September 3, on the H&I (Heroes & Icons) over-the-air channel (11/10 am-7/6 pm ET/Central):

11/10 OUT OF MIAMI
Nash and a Federal marshal are taken hostage by a Miami drug lord who wants to exchange them for a witness who's scheduled to testify against him in court. 

12/11 THE PARTNER
Nash hunts for a vigilante who claims he's helping solve crimes by murdering deadly criminals. 

1/12 BLOOD BOTS
Nash goes up against a gang of ruthless techno-geeks who are designing robots to perform robberies. 

2/1 QUACK FEVER
Nash begins to believe that a 17-year-old boy involved in the Southeast Asian drug trade may be his missing brother's son. 

3/2 KILL JOY
Harvey becomes attracted to a fellow "Deadhead," a mysterious woman who is the target of a murderous stalker. 

4/3 CHANGE UP
Cassidy is suspended following her involvement in the fatal shooting of a bystander during a bank robbery and becomes the target of department cronies who want to use her to get rid of Nash. 

5/4 CAT FIGHT
A robbery at the Filmore during a concert prompts Nash to investigate a soccer coach and his daughter, a stolen motorcycle, and a record producer. 

6/5 FAIR GAME
A serial killer who picks up passengers in a cab and then murders them stalks the city. 

7/6 GENESIS (PILOT)
Nash poses as an undercover computer chip buyer to bust a black market criminal ring that recently stole $2 million worth of the chips.

Edited by shapeshifter
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

At the risk of looking stupid, what do those numbers preceding the synopsis mean?

Definitely not stupid. They're Eastern time and Central time. I realized I should edit them for clarity. Any suggestions for the best way?

Note that they are starting over with the Pilot in the last hour next Monday.

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Definitely not stupid. They're Eastern time and Central time. I realized I should edit them for clarity. Any suggestions for the best way?

Ah! Now I see it! Since the network airs this in a nine hour block and on Mondays, how about saying “can be seen from 11/10 am-7/6 pm EST/Central” as a headline and then just have the synopsis?

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Note that they are starting over with the Pilot in the last hour next Monday.

Yay! I discovered this was airing but not keen on the last season so have been waiting for the first season to start again!

I just freakin’ love Sonny Don Johnson!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just freakin’ love Sonny Don Johnson!

If I had met him during season 1 of Miami Vice, he would have yet another kid with yet another woman. I can't blame any of them. Fertility clinics and sex therapists should've bottled the young Don Johnson's pheromones, LOL. But he's still charming in Nash Bridges.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I don't get that channel.  I used to love that show, though, so happy watching.  Except for the last season.  The last season sucked.

If you live in a major metropolitan area and are just watching cable channels, you can try unscrewing your cable from the TV and screwing in an antenna.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If you live in a major metropolitan area and are just watching cable channels, you can try unscrewing your cable from the TV and screwing in an antenna.

Nope.  I would be lucky to get one channel with an antenna.  And, then it would probably be pretty snowy.  I remember those days from when I was a kid.  "But, we only get one channel."  And that was when you only got 12 with cable.  Probably better off back then, now that I think about it.

• Love 1

They reran the Pilot again this afternoon. I only got to watch a little bit of it, but Don Johnson looked so much younger than in the later episodes. He even looked younger than in the last episodes of Miami Vice. I guess a little "Hollywood magic," heh.

Next Sunday will be 1.2. It's nice that if you miss one that you really wanted to see that you get another bite of the apple.

Eh. I thought Murphy was just okay. She never wowed me.

But helloooo! “Trackdown” S2:E5–Miami Vice reunion of sorts with William Russ! Who plays an assassin for hire and a friend or former friend of Nash.

BOO! That The Daily Show with Jon Stewart’s Asif Mandvi before he was on The Daily Show, is a BAAAAD GUY!!!

The credits for season two are weird. The first two episodes had Cheech Marin in the opening credits. Since episode 3, he’s been bumped down to “and Cheech Marin as Joe Dominguez.” And James Gammon is also gone???

I know I’ve said this already, but DAYUM!!!! But Don Johnson is SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

2.7 "Night Train" aired today.

Is that also the episode where Cassidy has to go to the hospital?  I love that part.  "I've got as much as $10 in my pocket."  That guy was awesome.

I'm having trouble not being creeped out knowing that 46-47-year-old Don Johnson was dating his show-daughter who was then 18.
I think its her playing his daughter that bothers me more than the age difference--but even more: He was a producer on the show.
Some of the writing seems to be winking at the relationship, but in today's society it doesn't work so well.

Edited by shapeshifter
On 9/30/2018 at 12:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm having trouble not being creeped out knowing that 46-47-year-old Don Johnson was dating his show-daughter who was then 18. Some of the writing seems to be winking at the relationship, but in today's society it doesn't work so well.

Was he? I know it’s stated that he was in his imdb bio, but not in in Jodi’s. I don’t recall hearing anything about them dating during the show’s initial run. 

And even if he was, unless he’s a serial rapist/harasser/murderer, live and let live is my motto. 

I’m enjoying rewatching this show. I miss this kind of show, that has comedy and heart, along with the race ‘em and shoot ‘em stuff.

Everything now is “GRITTTTTYYYYY” and “AAAAAANGST.”

I had forgotten that until Evan and Cassidy started dating, he hit on Lisa in the second season. Hated that soul patch he was sporting.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

The show returned to Season One last week.

The first three seasons were the best. Then it was infected with Yasmeen Bleeth. Whose character I Could.NOT.STAND. But what was the worst was, why they had her move in with Nash just because they said "I love yous" to each other. And then she set about changing HIS HOUSE into what SHE WANTED, with HER SHIT, and no respect for Nick. Then turned her into a need, whiny twat before she left. And where was this housekeeper of hers when she had her own place? Where was this housekeeper when that crooked cop pretended to be her non-existent husband and called the leasing manager or whoever he was, to ship her stuff to Alabama? I fucking hate RETCONS like that.

And it seems that the crooked cops or Powers That Be were insistent on setting up Nash up/Thinking HE was crooked/ to get him off the force from the very first season! When there was never any proof of that. It seemed that the murdered Chief, who was his former partner, was the only Brass on his side. So of course they had to kill him off, to make room for Petit (Geoffrey Pierson, who was my FAVORITE FRANK on Ryan's Hope for the short time he was Frank) and then Bill Smitrovich, Crockett's crooked former partner from Miami Vice to have some kind of Vendetta against him. I'm going to have to do research to find out if his Ray was a recast or some new person we'd never heard of before.

I hate the final season. They changed the theme music, and I wasn't a fan of how much of the HEART of the show, was gone.

Man, though, did they put Evan through the wringer in his final season on the show before they redeemed him. And then killed him off because the actor left the show.

And I guess because Bobby only came back in a fevered delusion/hallucination, they couldn't/didn't get Jan Michael Vincent (who looks SO MUCH MORE like he could be Johnson's/Nash's brother), they got that lame ass Michael Beck. BAH!

Another retcon was Cassidy feeling she had to be a cop because Evan was a cop and he'd been killed. When she had already decided she was going to be one BEFORE he was killed.

I'm sooooo glad that that twat murderer Tamra was killed off finally and that Nash never found out. Didn't need him to go off to find her killer. I was blanking on WHEN he met her, and then the season one episode where Nash is the mayor's protective detail aired, and that's when she showed up. I don't understand how they cast so many women who were LOUSY ACTRESSES. BLECH. Annette O' Toole was one of the best. At least I have the consolation that Lisa was the love of Nash's life.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hate the final season. They changed the theme music, and I wasn't a fan of how much of the HEART of the show, was gone.

Me, too.  They killed off Evan, which sucked.  At least they redeemed him first. Cassidy had no business being a cop.  Didn't she want to be an actress?  And then she's in her father's precinct, or whatever it's called, and as her partner pointed out, doing work beyond her rank.  Speaking of her partner, I couldn't stand that character, either. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Me, too.  They killed off Evan, which sucked.  At least they redeemed him first. Cassidy had no business being a cop.  Didn't she want to be an actress?  And then she's in her father's precinct, or whatever it's called, and as her partner pointed out, doing work beyond her rank.  Speaking of her partner, I couldn't stand that character, either. 

She did. But then decided she wanted to work for the CIA, and Bleeth's character, Caitlin, who used to work for the CIA (which was a JOKE), convinced her that the work she did was super kewl! But she dropped that idea after visiting the local CIA's office, I guess? Nash headed the SIU, which was the Special Investigative Unit. And it was Rachel, the mole, who set it up so she AND Cassidy would be assigned there. Even though Cassidy as a new recruit, had no business being there. Rachel may have pointed it out, but she was just doing that to preserve her cover.

And it's such a tired trope--lure someone with promise of promotion/own unit to nab a "crooked cop" when there's NO SUCH EVIDENCE, and falling for said cop, and then learning you were played. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ........

I really loved how Joe kicked her ass out of the unit.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She did. But then decided she wanted to work for the CIA, and Bleeth's character, Caitlin, who used to work for the CIA (which was a JOKE), convinced her that the work she did was super kewl! But she dropped that idea after visiting the local CIA's office, I guess?

Yes, I knew all that, but at the time (and still), I just thought it was such an out-of-nowhere bizarre change of career directions.

I have a lot of ick-issues with the behind the scenes of the show, but I still enjoy what's on screen.

3.18 "Lady Killer" just aired on Escape H&I.
It had some creative variations on over-used tropes or gimmicks--at least I don't recall seeing them elsewhere. 

1. Birdsong is holding Bettina and Trent at gunpoints (he has two guns in order to make it look like they shot each other) when a ringing cellphone is thrown through a window. Birdsong orders Bettina to answer it. We hear Nash telling Birdsong it's all over (Harvey and Evan enter, outgunning Birdsong).
    I kind of love the ringing cellphone crashing through the window and can't recall seeing it anywhere else.

2. At the end Bettina thanks Nash for saving him, and Nash says the ol' "anyone would have done the same," but then Bettina says that anyone would have done the same for Nash Bridges, but nobody else would have done it for him (Bettina).
    I can't find the exact quote, but I don't recall hearing that variation on any other show.
Edited by shapeshifter
H&I, not Escape
  • Love 1

I watched most of this👆 just-released USA Network “Nash Bridges” movie last night.  
It had generally good production quality.*

But I was repulsed by the excessive gratuitous violence——which I suppose is pretty tame by modern standards.

Nash/Johnson had a couple of lines implying that he was now aware that it is not cool to objectify women, but [using spoiler tags to not spoil it]

Spoiler

the OTT gratuitous violence plot arc was resolved by the warrior-type damsel-in-distress being rescued by the guys.

Nash/Johnson also has a line early-on acknowledging that pedophilia is a crime, and, of course, now that he’s in his 70s, having him flirt with a woman young enough to be his daughter can be played for laughs. Whatever. At least she’s not a teenager?

Just like the Hallmark Christmas movies also airing now, this made-for-TV movie probably deserves 2 stars out of 5     
——except they

Spoiler

swapped out the contrived meet-cute romance with mayhem

[again, just using spoiler tags to not spoil it]

—————

* There’s a line in which the coroner mistakenly says 

Spoiler

“Nash didn’t kill him” instead of “Joe didn’t kill him”

about which I can’t help wondering if they chose not to correct as a kind of breaking-the-fourth-wall joke that Cheech Marin (and the rest of the supporting cast) are all playing second banana to Don Johnson.

1 hour ago, janeta said:

Are there supposed to be more, or was this a one-off?

I thought it was supposed to be a one-off, but, from this article dated the day before it aired (usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/11/26/don-johnson-talks-nash-bridges-reboot-yoga-secrets-miami-vice/8741277002/):

…Q: Does this two-hour special signify a backdoor way to a full "Nash Bridges" return?

Johnson: That was probably always in the back of our minds. If it all goes well and we get the right numbers, then yeah, it'd be fun to make some more. And I did realize that my creative fertility around these characters, this tone and San Francisco has gotten really good.

• Love 2

I didn't realize this was done and ready to air.  We happened on it the other night about half way through, so it didn't make a lot of sense.  I looked down the road as far as my DVR went and didn't see a re-air date.  If anyone notices it scheduled again, please let me know.  

I know they can't cram everything in, but would have loved to see Angel or Steve Austin or some others.  I was thinking the blonde crook lady he went around and around with, but I think she eventually got killed off.  

Edited by bunnyface
blood and blonde are not the same. Although with that woman...
4 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I didn't realize this was done and ready to air.  We happened on it the other night about half way through, so it didn't make a lot of sense.  I looked down the road as far as my DVR went and didn't see a re-air date.  If anyone notices it scheduled again, please let me know.  

I know they can't cram everything in, but would have loved to see Angel or Steve Austin or some others.  I was thinking the blood crook lady he went around and around with, but I think she eventually got killed off.  

FWIW, on the movie's IMDb page (imdb.com/title/tt10665108/) there's a popup link for "More watch options." On my laptop it's a big yellow button towards the right.

I agree that Angel would be a great (and likely memorable) character to bring back, but it looks like the actor (wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracey_Walter) hasn't done anything since 2016. He's 74, which can go either way with regards to health.
Jeff Perry (Harvey Leek) seemed a little unsteady on his feet to me, but he's just 66 and still has other projects going, so maybe that was supposed to be for laughs?

On 11/28/2021 at 8:15 PM, Kyle said:

I’m a little surprised they’re reviving it. I thought it was a modest hit at best in its original run, and I can’t remember the last time I saw it rerun

Unless they took it off its rotation, the original is still airing on the Heroes & Icons channel.

And dammit! I missed it. I'll see if it's On Demand. I don't care what he's done, but Don Johnson still looks DAMN GOOD. Last thing I saw him in was Knives Out.

Awww, hell. Tried watching from work on my PC.

Pissed off after the first five minutes.

Don Johnson was executive producer for the show when it ended 9 years ago. And he BEAT that crooked IA dude (played by Smitrovich), so Nash should STILL be Captain Bridges; not Inspector. So seeing the new Captain--who looks waaaaay too young to be Captain was jarring. Unless she was Cassidy's supervisor and not a fellow cadet when Cassidy went to the Academy?

And who is that pipsqueak at the SIU? Was that other pipsqueak, played by Roebuck not available?

Maybe I'll try picking it up later when I'm bored.

But DAYUM. Don Johnson looks good in that tux!

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Don Johnson was executive producer for the show when it ended 9 years ago. And he BEAT that crooked IA dude (played by Smitrovich), so Nash should STILL be Captain Bridges; not Inspector.

WAsn't it more like 19 years ago?