Type keyword(s) to search

"You see a pattern emerging here, Scully?" The Thematic Quotes Game

In the hopes that we have enough posters checking in regularly to participate, I'm going to start up one of my very favorite games, Thematic Quotes.  The host lists a series of quotes, usually 4 to 6, that all have a common theme.  The theme can be related to the episodes they are in, the scenes, the quotes themselves, etc.  Each solved quote is worth 3 points (1 point each for speaker, speakee, and episode) and the overall theme is worth 6 points.  A person can guess any or all of the above, so if you know who said a quote but don't know to whom or which episode, go ahead and solve what you do know.  The theme can be solved before all the quotes are, also.  (Sometimes that even helps solve a tricky quote.)

I'll start us off with a fairly easy one, I think.  Theme is episode related.

1.  I don't speak Nazi.

2.  Extraterrestrial visitors from beyond who apparently have nothing better to do than buzz one mountain over and over again for 700 years.

3.  Uh, do you prefer the term "abductee" or "experiencer?"

4.  You guys like the name? I wanted to go with either "Aurora" or "Borealis."

5.  That's a door with a brick wall behind it.

6.  You're in charge here, you know. It doesn't have to end like this.

Theme is episode related.

1.  I don't speak Nazi.

Mulder to ??? in Triangle - Queequeg, 2 pts

2.  Extraterrestrial visitors from beyond who apparently have nothing better to do than buzz one mountain over and over again for 700 years.

Jose Chung to Scully in JCFOS - Queequeg, 3 pts

4.  You guys like the name? I wanted to go with either "Aurora" or "Borealis."

??? to ??? in HTGSC - Queequeg 1 pt

1. Mulder said it to the WW2 version of CSM, I'm pretty sure.

2. Scully to Mulder in "Field Trip"

4. Morris Fletcher to TLG in "Dreamland" (do I have to get the part?  I think maybe part 2?)

5. Scully to Mulder.  (I'm guessing there.)

6. Scully to ??? in "Monday"

Is the theme that a major portion of these episodes either didn't really happen (Triangle, Field Trip, Jose Chung, HTGSC) or happened but then was sort of undone (Dreamland, Monday)?  So that the events in these episodes aren't really a part of the XF timeline/continuity?  I feel like that's a common theme of these, but I'm not sure if I'm hitting exactly what you're going for.

(edited)

They're all non-linear episodes with conflicting versions of events ... that may not have happened at all.

1.  I don't speak Nazi.

I don't know who Mulder was talking to, either, so that point is still up for grabs.

Scully to Mulder in Field Trip.  ("Sounds like crap when you say it."  Heh.)

Already answered.  God, I love Charles Nelson Reilly.

Mulder to ... The Gunmen? ... in one of the Dreamland episodes.

Identified already as HTGSC.  I think it's Mulder talking to Maurice.

A favorite!  Scully to Bernard in Monday.

Heh; a second too late.

Edited by Bastet

Monday is also one of my all-time favorite eps, bastet.  I love it so much.

Theme - all of the episodes were either dreams/hallucinations, or were somehow "reset" so that they didn't really happen at all.  smrou 6 pts (bastet also got it right, but just a minute or two too late!)

1.  I don't speak Nazi.

Mulder to WW2 CSM in Triangle - Queequeg, 2 pts, smrou 1 pt

Scully to Mulder in Field Trip - smrou 3 pts

Jose Chung to Scully in JCFOS - Queequeg, 3 pts

Morris Fletcher to LGM in Dreamland - smrou 3 pts

Mulder to Maurice in HTGSC - Queequeg 1 pt, bastet 2 pts

Scully to Bernard in Monday - smrou 2 pts, bastet 1 pt

Point totals - Queequeg 6 pts, smrou 15 pts, bastet 3 pts

Congrats smrou!  You get to put up the next one.  I hope you guys enjoyed this!

Okay, I've got one.  I hope the theme makes sense.  It's again an episode-related theme.

1. "Another woman in my bed?  Burn the sheets!  Burn her.  Burn her!

2. "He's hung like a club-tailed dragonfly."

3. "I can't believe the FBI is a passion.  Not like Medicine."

4. "Marry me."

5. "Do you have a significant other?"

2 is Bambi to Mulder in WOTC.

4 is Mulder to Scully (over the phone) in Chinga.  "I was hoping for something a little more helpful."  Hee.

Episodes where Mulder or Scully actually get some blatant attention from members of the opposite sex?

1. "Another woman in my bed?  Burn the sheets!  Burn her.  Burn her!

Betty the Tattoo to Ed Jerse in "Never Again". Taryn 3 points.

2. "He's hung like a club-tailed dragonfly."

Bambi to Mulder in WotC. Bastet 3 points.

3. "I can't believe the FBI is a passion.  Not like Medicine."

Daniel to Scully in "all things". Taryn 3 points.

4. "Marry me."

Mulder to Scully in "Chinga". Bastet 3 points.

5. "Do you have a significant other?"

Ellen to Mulder in "Chimera". Taryn 3 points.

Episodes where Mulder or Scully actually get some blatant attention from members of the opposite sex?

Ooh, that's a good theme, but that's not actually what I was going for.  (Would've definitely included "Syzygy" and "Rain King" if I were.)

So everything has been found except for the theme, which I'll admit I don't think is the strongest but I'll wait a bit to people another chance to guess at it.  So far it's 9 points for Taryn and 6 points for Bastet.

Oh, oh, oh!  Is the theme that we see Scully and Mulder on the phone together while one of them is working a case?  Or......related to that......one of them works a case without the other one present?

Or......related to that......one of them works a case without the other one present?

That's the theme I was thinking of.  Good job!  

Final score: Taryn 15 points, Bastet 6 points.

You're up again, Taryn!

Woohoo!  Great theme!

It's late, but I think I've got time to put one up real quick.  I may not be able to check in on it until tomorrow afternoon, though.

1.  So how do you explain those two notes written ten years apart could contain the same obscure phrase?

2.  Don't go near the white cross. We see you down... and your blood spills on the white cross.

3.  So unless you kill every Navajo living in four states... that information is available with a simple phone call. Welcome to the wonderful world of high technology.

4.  It's...it's so clear now. Simple. It was so complicated then. The...the choices that needed to be made.

I have the flu (being sick in 90-degree weather is a special form of hell), so anything I have to think about for more than a second is beyond me, but these are instantaneous:

2. Boggs to Mulder in Beyond the Sea

3. Skinner's greatest moment!  Skinner to CSM in Paper Clip.

Oh, gads.  Hope you're feeling better soon, Bastet!

1.  So how do you explain those two notes written ten years apart could contain the same obscure phrase?

2.  Don't go near the white cross. We see you down... and your blood spills on the white cross.

Luther Lee Boggs to Mulder in Beyond the Sea - Bastet 3 pts

3.  So unless you kill every Navajo living in four states... that information is available with a simple phone call. Welcome to the wonderful world of high technology.

Skinner to CSM in Paper Clip - Bastet 3 pts

4.  It's...it's so clear now. Simple. It was so complicated then. The...the choices that needed to be made.

Skinner's greatest moment!

I know!  "This is where you pucker up and kiss my ass!" makes me cheer every time.  Heh.

I recognize that first quotatation but just can't place it.  For number 4, I'm pretty sure that's Bill Mulder to (Fox) Mulder in "Anasazi".  

I have no idea about the theme so far.

Bill Mulder to Mulder in Anasazi - smrou 3 pts

Hint for #1 - it's in one of the later season eps.

Mulder to Scully in ??? - Queequeg 2 pts

Hint for #1 - it's in one of the later season eps.  M/S are visiting a prison when the scene takes place.

Hint for the theme - don't overthink it.  There's something very obvious that happens in each episode that is directly related to either Mulder or Scully, and the theme can be guessed from the three quotes already solved.

:D

Theme -- Mulder or Scully loses a family member in each episode.  Queequeg 6 pts

Mulder to Scully in ??? - Queequeg 2 pts

Hint for #1 - it's in one of the later season eps.  M/S are visiting a prison when the scene takes place.

(edited)

Since there's only one point left to be earned, Queequeg is going to have the win regardless.  So #1 is from Sein und Zeit, in which Mrs. Mulder commits suicide (or does she???).

Great job Queequeg!  You get to put the next one up.  :D

Edited by Taryn74

1. Please explain to me the scientific nature of the whammy.

2. Most people would rather stick their fingers in a wall socket than spend a minute with you.

3. Now, I don't trust them. I want to trust you.

4. Bet all you guys were officers in the audiovisual club in high school, huh?

1. Scully to Mulder in "Pusher"

2. Maurice to Mulder in "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas"

3. Mulder to Scully in "Ice".

4. ??? to The Lone Gunmen in ???

(edited)

Scully to Mulder, Pusher - smrou 3 pts

2. Most people would rather stick their fingers in a wall socket than spend a minute with you.

Maurice to Mulder, HTGSC - smrou, 3 pts

Mulder to Scully, Ice - smrou, 3 pts

??? to Lone Gunmen, ??? - smrou 1 pt

No Scully, Taryn!

Edited by queequeg
(edited)

The last one is from one of my favorite episodes, Wetwired.  It's Mulder saying it to The Lone Gunmen (when they're all excited to explain to him what the little doohickey he took off the cable does). 

Oh, yeah, the theme -- episodes where Mulder and/or Scully are (or may be) under the influence of something.

Edited by Bastet
The last one is from one of my favorite episodes, Wetwired.

Ohhhh.  Of course!

Bastet is probably right about the theme, but I have another idea that "Wetwired" triggered, which is episodes when either Mulder or Scully pulls a gun on the other.

Scully to Mulder, Pusher - smrou 3 pts

Maurice to Mulder, HTGSC - smrou, 3 pts

Mulder to Scully, Ice - smrou, 3 pts

Mulder to Lone Gunmen, Wetwired - smrou 1 pt, bastet 2 pts

Bastet's theme is true, but not what I had in mind.
Smrou is right about the theme! Episodes where Mulder or Scully or both pulls a gun on the other.
So that's 16 pts for smrou!

Smrou is right about the theme! Episodes where Mulder or Scully or both pulls a gun on the other.

Oh, cool!  I really figured Bastet had it right.  Though Mulder/Scully being under some kind of external influence and them pulling guns on each other are of course related.  For extra fun "Anasazi" could have been included, since Scully not only pulls a gun on Mulder but actually shoots him!  (I love that episode.)

I'll have to think a bit to come up with a new one but I'll try to get it up before I go to bed tonight.

All right, here's a new one.  The theme is scene-related.

1. There's no more evidence to be gathered.  There's only my hope that you'll be able to see past this delusion.

2. I'm officially among the undead.

3. I don't know why you didn't tell me.  I don't know why you didn't tell me immediately.

4. I found something I thought I'd lost.  Faith to keep looking.

5. I knew there was a reason to live.

6. Oh brother.

3. Mrs. Scully to Scully in Memento Mori.  AMAZING scene.

5. Scully to Mulder in One Breath.  Superstars of the Super Bowl, heh.

6. Scully to Mulder in Triangle.  That episode is all hat and no horse, but it has its moments, and that's one of them.

Four is not coming to me in its entirety, which is annoying me, so I'll leave that one.

1. There's no more evidence to be gathered.  There's only my hope that you'll be able to see past this delusion.

Unidentified so far.

2. I'm officially among the undead.

Mulder to Scully in "Redux II".  queequeg: 3 points.

3. I don't know why you didn't tell me.  I don't know why you didn't tell me immediately.

Mrs. Scully to Scully in "Memento Mori".  Bastet: 3 points.

4. I found something I thought I'd lost.  Faith to keep looking.

Unidentified so far.

5. I knew there was a reason to live.

Scully to Mulder in "One Breath".  queequeg: 3 points.

6. Oh brother.

Scully to Mulder in "Triangle".  queequeg: 3 points.

Are they all hospital scenes?

Yes, but I had slightly more in mind for the theme.  Though that's like 90% of it.

I'll give a bit more time for the unidentified ones and come back later to give hints as needed.

Hmmmm, are all the scenes with one person in a hospital bed?

Yes, but again I was trying to be just a little bit more specific than that.

I think #4 is Mulder but I can't quite place it.

It is indeed Mulder. 

So what's still up for grabs is the following:

1. There's no more evidence to be gathered.  There's only my hope that you'll be able to see past this delusion.

Unidentified so far.  Hint: this scene contains a much more famous line, delivered from Mulder to Scully, that's sort of cheesily romantic (though not necessarily intended in a romantic way).

4. I found something I thought I'd lost.  Faith to keep looking.

Mulder to ??? in ???

(edited)

OK I finally realized #4 probably had to do with Samantha, so I checked around and found it.  It's Mulder to Scully in End Game.

Oh!  I found #1 too!  It's Scully to Mulder in Folie a Deux.

I am really stuck on the theme though.  Every time I think I have it, one of them doesn't really fit.  Is it something we can figure out from the transcripts?  Or do we need to SEE the scenes?

Edited by Taryn74
A scene with either Mulder or Scully in a hospital bed?

That's the theme I was thinking of, queequeg.  Which officially makes you the winner of this round.

OK I finally realized #4 probably had to do with Samantha, so I checked around and found it.  It's Mulder to Scully in End Game.

Oh, so are we allowed to look stuff up?