Type keyword(s) to search

TCR All Episode Talk: Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger

Just watched this episode at work. I had not realized that

a) Chelsea Peretti (the Brooklyn Nine-Nine actress) had a brother and 

b) that brother had co-founded the Huffington Post and then gone on to create BuzzFeed. 

And upon seeing them it's really funny how similar the two are as far as mannerisms. 

Reviving this old, old thread because I was thinking about something today -- there are only 30 or so TCR episodes left, and I was curious if Stephen and his writers will give us some fan service ("material which is intentionally added to please the audience") before riding into the sunset. Which old segments would you like to see before the end? I'd love to see the On Notice board, a toss with Jon Stewart, and Formidable Opponent, but I'm sure there are plenty I'm forgetting. (Maybe an all-bear Threatdown?) I was delighted that he brought back the Atone Phone last month, as it didn't make an appearance last year.

I was thinking Jon might toss to Stephen at the end of his first show back in 2015, only to find that Larry Wilmore is there instead.

I imagine Jon will throw his support behind Larry and The Minority Report.

• Love 1

I imagine Jon will throw his support behind Larry and The Minority Report.

Since Jon created the show and is the EP, I think he would definitely support Larry.

I'd love to see some Tosses before his character signs off forever.

I'm surprised we haven't seen that many.

• Love 1

With TCR winding down (about which I'm still in deep denial...haven't watched last night's show yet, and may put off watching the Final Four for a while), I was going through some of the best mentions of Dr. Stephen's favorite sponsor:

Prescott Pharmaceuticals: What doesn't kill you makes you part of our class action settlement!

Prescott Pharmaceuticals: Where malpractice makes malperfect!

Prescott Pharmaceuticals: Look for us in your spam folder!

Prescott Pharmaceuticals: Family owned for three generations because we can't lift the curse!

And my personal favorite -

Prescott Pharmaceuticals: If you don't know who we are, we may be responsible for your memory loss!

I'm so going to miss this show.

• Love 2

OMG DXD526, I LOLed hard at those Prescott Pharmaceuticals slogans. I'm going to miss Cheating Death.

I'm also going to miss the Sport Report (silent t's), mainly because it was originally created as a platform for one of my all time personal favourite Stephen creations, Steagle the Eagle Colbeagle. In August of 2006, he got us denizens of the Colbert Nation to go to the website of the Saginaw Spirit of the Ontario Hockey League and "votebomb" his name, in a contest, to name a new mascot of theirs. Realizing they had a golden opportunity fall into their lap, the Spirit organization worked with TCR to come up with a name and a small redesign of their mascot. Thus, Steagle the Eagle was born.

Stephen spent the entire 2006/07 OHL season following the exploits of the Spirit and to talk smack at all their opponents, most of whom were cities, large and small, in my home province of Ontario. My biggest thrill was seeing Stephen laying the smack at my hometown of Sarnia, Ontario, home of the Sting ("Hey Sarnia, you suck, and so does Sting!" "I've just read The Chronicles of Sarnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The LOSER!"). Sarnia was also where my cousin played his entire OHL career in.

But the best one was when Stephen went after Oshawa, Ontario when, just before Christmas, Saginaw went into Oshawa to play the Generals on Teddy Bear Toss night - a tradition in all Ontario, Quebec, and Western leagues - where the home crowd tosses teddy bears onto the ice after the home team scores its first goal and attendants gather up all the teddy bears so that they can be distributed to needy families for Christmas. Oshawa won that game 3-0.

Stephen saw that as an attack on him because of his hatred of bears. So he tried to get Spirit fans to download copies of General Motors Canada annual report of 2006 - located in Oshawa - and toss them onto the ice when the Spirit score in their upcoming rematch against the Oshawa Generals in Saginaw. The mayor of Oshawa was not too pleased with Stephen's stunt and he issued a challenge to him. If Oshawa won their game against Saginaw, then Stephen would have to wear an Oshawa Generals jersey throughout one upcoming TCR episode. But if the Spirit won, then Oshawa would hold a Stephen Colbert Day on Stephen's birthday.

Stephen accepted, but on the condition that they hold his day on the mayor's birthday, so that his birthday would be remembered forever as a day of humiliation for him. Soon Saginaw and Oshawa played and Saginaw won the rematch 5-4. The mayor held his end of the bet and Stephen Colbert Day soon happened. It got plenty of TV promotion on the Comedy Network.

The Sport Report was also where Stephen decided to help raise funds for the United States speed skating team to go to the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, after their original sponsor declared bankruptcy. Stephen got them the funds and went with them to Vancouver to cheer them on and to do some tapings for TCR.