Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Fever 2018.06.24

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

Does little Papi the drug dealer ever walk? We never see him doing anything but hanging around the house eating Mother's food. She doesn't want drugs in the house, so what is he doing there? I may be forgetting how he came to the house.

We saw him selling drugs at school in a previous episode. Damon was visibly disappointed about it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Since Papi doesn't even identify as gay (or trans) does he really belong with this group? There are plenty of struggling kids on the streets, but I thought the Houses were a haven for a particular subset of those kids. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
On 6/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, jzygayle said:

You are, but I actually disagree.  Meloni (and I did NOT like him as STABLER!!!) has some serious acting chops and could absolutely go scary AF if the story drew him that way.  I do agree that the script doesn't seem to be heading that direction, though.

Now here's my candid admission--I don't really pay attention to who the actors are, but the doctor doing the surgery kept pinging my "You know her" radar. But not until Stabler came in did I recognize Det. Eames from L&O: Criminal Intent.

I'm kind of waiting for D'Onofrio to show up  now.

Was on vacation and just now catching up...

She'll always be Shirley Bellinger from Oz to me.  So we've got Meloni and Erbe... I won't hold out hope for Schillinger/JK Simmons or Adebisi /Adewale A-A (I can't begin to spell his last name) to make an appearance, but Rita Moreno would be great as a Mama Jose type character.

I'm wondering why they covered up CM's tattoos for this part.  Rich old guys in the 80s had tattoos, especially military ones, but  maybe not an entire crucified Christ?

And, yes, anybody who is familiar with Chris Keller knows just how scary Meloni can be, and when he's smiling it becomes absolutely terrifying.

• Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 10:50 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Since Papi doesn't even identify as gay (or trans) does he really belong with this group? There are plenty of struggling kids on the streets, but I thought the Houses were a haven for a particular subset of those kids. 

I know that contestants in the balls did and still do include bisexual and pansexual folks.  I don’t believe Papi has ever expressly said how he identifies, but he did admit to being an “equal opportunity lover,” and that he’s slept with both women and men.  Given that he’s a minority, was likely homeless before joining the house, and is gay/pan, I’d say he fits.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, eejm said:

I know that contestants in the balls did and still do include bisexual and pansexual folks.  I don’t believe Papi has ever expressly said how he identifies, but he did admit to being an “equal opportunity lover,” and that he’s slept with both women and men.  Given that he’s a minority, was likely homeless before joining the house, and is gay/pan, I’d say he fits.

Perhaps, but he has a very limited ability to compete.  Last night's category was tailor-made for him.

• Love 2

I didn't necessarily see Angel's outburst as something out of character. It was either this episode or the last one where she was talking about the hormones and how they made her feel. I'm pretty sure the hormones can also cause major mood swings. That coupled with her insecurity about Stan's attraction to her made that fit her character for me. 

• Love 1

Relatively speaking, I thought this episode was really well written. I like that they touched on Candy's insecurities and all the cosmetic body modification. The HIV testing was a little clunky but I'm glad they dealt with it and, you know, more Billy Porter is always a good thing. 

But yeah, this episode was really all about Elektra and Angel. I DID NOT expect them to get Meloni. I was picturing a much older man. Anyway, they wrote everything with her really well. Very nuanced. 

Angel and Stan's failed hookup and fight was fantastic. This is the kind of writing that they don't do as often. I feel like there are a lot of plotlines where the writers want you to side with a certain character. This was more subtle. Neither of them was really in the wrong. I'm not surprised Stan couldn't really articulate his attraction and Angel wasn't ready to hear that there was something about her specifically that he likes. Yes, he seems to have a preference for transwomen that he hasn't really explored but I think we're also supposed to believe he likes her as a person. And on the other side, she's totally entitled to all of her feelings. 

• Love 2

As characters are having more heart-to-hearts it's making me realize that one big thing missing from this show is any relationships between a transwoman and another transwoman or a transwoman and a straight/bisexual woman or a transwoman and a lesbian or a transwoman and a gay man. It seems to take it for granted than any transwoman would want to be with a straight man.

• Love 2

Question: if a man is in a sexual relationship with a trans woman, do they just ignore her penis for the most part during sex? I am just wondering. Thanks!

I would check out the Contrapoints youtube channel. #mouthfeel

Still watching the episode, but I have to say Angel, Angel, Angel. She needs to spend some time figuring out herself. She isn’t mature or secure enough to be a mistress (not insinuating that she should inspire to be  a mistress). She WANTED to pick a fight with Stan over what?!!

That was weird to me. I do think Angel just kind of fell into this. Stan seems to be the only man who has taken this much interest in her. And I think she wanted the stability (apartment) and financial upgrade. But she's not acting like any kind of mistress/sugar baby. It's different with Elektra. They've been together for 10 years. She's lucky Stan seems to be both very into her and kind of soft. If you're entirely dependent on someone, you're supposed to acquiesce and be accommodating, not pick fights. Though outside of that structure, I think she was totally entitled to her feelings. It just doesn't make sense for the character if she's hoping to keep him happy.

Interesting how the trans women want to be more curvy, but a lot of real models are very skinny and built a lot like Angel and Candy. I mean, its not the 90s heroin chic era yet, but models have always run skinny.

I mean, it was the 80's. I can see how they would want a bit more of an Amazonian look. Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell, etc. It makes sense that Elektra's look does so well at the balls.

Agree, and I am not trying to give Stan a pass here because what he is doing is crappy.  He is a jerk but he was honest with her. He said he was married with kids and wouldn't leave his wife.  I could be wrong but I worry she thinks he will leave them for her.   That sucks for her but truth she annoyed me more then he did. 

She's either expecting Pretty Woman or that he's going to have an entire second family with her. Which only works if you're very rich or your wife is very oblivious. And we've already seen him having financial struggles and Patty worrying about him working so much even before JVDB stepped in.

• Love 1