Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Episode 4 2018.06.07

Laura leads a tense Dryden Commission on a visit to the Railyard, but will Agnes' anger threaten its success? Mia comes face to face with Ed, forcing her to confront her past.

I had completely forgotten about Ed's plotline last Season, so I was wondering who the hell this guy was that Mia decked. I guess one good deed doesn't wipe out selling somebody into slavery - who knew? At least she's made clear (to the audience!) what she's trying to achieve. Also on the "peaceful co-existence" side they showed Max isn't a complete idiot and wasn't fooled by Agnes (though he needs to work out some sort of secure chain of command). And he's learnt a degree of cruelty/ruthlessness when it comes to dealing with future disorder amongst his "family".

Laura had a mixed week with a big success in getting the commissioners to visit the Synth encampment but I'm not sure what was going on with her fellow Commissioner. Was he scared that Synths were trying to learn how to be more human? Was he just the sort of jerk who loses interest in a woman after he sleeps with her?

Karen's story, for somebody I didn't really care about, was a complete gut punch. So this idyllic little community is so xenophobic towards Synths their immediate reaction is a lynching? Wow, that's a pretty dark (though not necessarily inaccurate) view of human nature.

Does Niska have some sort of super setting (presumably the virtue of being one of the initial six) that enables her to overcome whatever control protocol the Synth terrorist put on her? Liked her girlfriend pointing out that Niska killed the terrorist for her own reasons, but WTF is this Synth Messiah character? Does he/she/it really exist and are we going to meet them?

• Love 3

I'm not sure that I like what leadership has done to Max. I know Agnes is a problem but locking her up in the dark was cold. 

I liked Karen and it was really disturbing to see the mob turn on her. I'm not really interested in the child synth but hopefully he'll help bring Joe back into the main story. 

• Love 2

Agnes was suffering from PTSD and abandonment issues being locked up in the box so Max keeps putting her in confined spaces with no light?  Max isn't playing around any more.

Mia has a killer bod and a killer right hook.  Despite the latter, Ed shows up looking to get back together.  So one moment she's decking him, then the next moment she's kissing him and finally he's putting his trousers on and she tells him she's not coming with him.

Guess between the kiss and putting his pants back on, he was, shall we say, unconvincing?

See Ed wanting Mia back and Joe sniffing around Karen are believable responses -- rather than wanting to lynch them.  After all these female synths are all attractive and young and one of the reasons they were built was to be sexually appealing to humans -- one you go bot, everything else seems squat.

Mattie is inconsolable that someone is mistakenly being prosecuted for releasing the code that led to Day Zero.  So Leo is going to make her some tea?  What is it with the bloody Brits and their tea?  Who knows, maybe the tea would have consoled her but he had to warm up the milk and she bolted to turn herself in.  He should have just dropped a Lipton in a mug!

Niska is a badass and we know this not because she kills the terrorist synth so easily but because she was wearing a hoodie.

Is Laura shedding tears because she feels rejected or because she has to do the walk of shame in front of her orange eyes synth?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Ed shows up looking to get back together.  So one moment she's decking him, then the next moment she's kissing him and finally he's putting his trousers on and she tells him she's not coming with him.

Guess between the kiss and putting his pants back on, he was, shall we say, unconvincing?

I'd love to know just what it means to say the (Green eyed) Synths have "feelings". Just how important are their feelings to them? Is making a cup of tea and having sex (however unsatisfactorally!) given similar weighting? How does that rate against speaking up for Synth Rights? It could have given an insight into Synth psychology (for want of a better term) to see a different perspective on what's important to them, as opposed to a human.

On 2018-06-29 at 3:12 AM, scrb said:

Mia has a killer bod and a killer right hook.  Despite the latter, Ed shows up looking to get back together.  So one moment she's decking him, then the next moment she's kissing him and finally he's putting his trousers on and she tells him she's not coming with him.

I think what messed it up for him, apart from the fact that Mia wants to prove that cohabitation between Synths and humans is possible and that she hopes others like her will be able to live normally and have “a life, looking out at the sea without being afraid” is one thing he told her: “ I would have never did what I did if I’d known WHAT you were.  “

He lost her right there...

RIP Karen. Although she wasn't my favorite character, I did find her story interesting because she had assimilated to the human world so well that no one knew she was a synth. Is the crowd going to come after the kid the next time they see him? Even though Karen sacrificed herself to save him, it just takes one suspicious anti-synth to work everyone else up into a lather. Joe might need to take that kid to Laura (or hopefully he's realized that his idyllic synth free town isn't quite what he'd hoped for).

I can't blame Mia for punching Ed.

Normally I'd have some sympathy for Agnes, who was terrified of being trapped in small dark spaces, but considering that she was willing to sacrifice all the synths at the rail yard, eh. I'm fine with Max becoming more pragmatic/less nice in order to protect his people.

I don't know what Neil's deal is, but whatever his reason for basically kicking her out after they slept together, poor Laura was not expecting that.

I'm glad that Mattie found a way to vindicate the guy who'd been arrested for releasing the code, mostly because I didn't want to watch half a season of Leo and Mattie trying to sacrifice themselves.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1