Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Phase Two Sucks

(edited)

EPISODE DESCRIPTION

In pursuit of the ring, the Bumblers don new identities under Maddie's tutelage; Ezra forms an unlikely relationship with a Toby Jug collector; Max and Sally try to dig up dirt from the Doctor's past.

Since there was no episode thread, I started one. 

Well, well, well. That escalated quickly and went south fast with Maddie and Ezra.

Interesting twist at the end--how did Sofia end up finding them? I assume she's been watching/tracking them for a bit...or maybe she's working for The Doctor too. 

I was a little surprised there was no Patrick this episode. Have they lost him?

Finally, the promos were surprising in that they seemed to give a big twist away.

Edited by taragel
added episode description
  • Love 3

This is sort of the conversation that I've wanted Ezra and Maddie to have since season 1. It's been clear since early last season that Maddie connected more to Ezra and that Ezra seemed to have a bit of an affinity for being a grifter. I think Ezra needed that last bandaid pulled off. He'd been far too romantic about all of this mess and needed to be reminded how ugly this business is.

I'm not surprised that the Doctor is a psycho. I'm just surprised that he shits where he eats. Most people like him compartmentalize their crazy so they people in their regular lives have no idea. With the Doctor, everyone seemed to know or suspect that he was a prick and a psycho. Not a great job hiding.

• Love 2

I'm just glad we finally went an episode without a comedic reference to someone needing to pee. The writers room is apparently occupied by fifth graders.

Sofia is pretty but also pretty dull. Liked Ezra seducing Maddie and then not taking her projecting bullshit, although I'm sure that'll last half an ep.

This season has been a snoozefest, so it's good to see things finally gathering momentum even if it's at the last minute.

Richard and Jules have had nothing to do all season. It's all about Ezra completing his transition to becoming the new (and I'm guessing more emotionally callous) Maddie. I think the season will end with Ezra betraying the gang and/or Maddie, humanizing her because she'll be the one to catch feelings and get hurt this time.

On the plus side, they've apparently tabled the weird flirtatious sexual tension between Jules and Ezra.

It was funny hearing Rob pretend to stumble over his natural accent (or a shitty Americanized version of it lol). I liked the detail of Ezra slipping back into a blatantly obvious American accent when flustered. Very good, earnest performance from him that reflected just how naive/innocent Ezra still is, in spite of all the con bravado.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

This season has been a snoozefest, so it's good to see things finally gathering momentum even if it's at the last minute.

Yeah, it took too long trying to get things going and a lot of characters to juggle around, compared to before, after finally gathering them around.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Free said:

Yeah, it took too long trying to get things going and a lot of characters to juggle around, compared to before, after finally gathering them around.

imo we didn't need the wellness retreat, jules' sister, or the Mexico storyline (which basically served to give Ezra a gf) so...most of this season haha

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

imo we didn't need the wellness retreat, jules' sister, or the Mexico storyline (which basically served to give Ezra a gf) so...most of this season haha

Exactly, there was too much dragging along and it only just got things going recently.

The show has been renewed. I am not sure how to feel about it because S1 had a good momentum, but S2 hasn't been good. In fact, up until this episode, not much has happened. The first 5 episodes in were pointless and I couldn't stand how smug Ezra has become and not a fan of Sofia either so not pleased she's back.

I do admit that Ezra's Hugh Grant from Notting Hill act is funny and his inability to keep his accent in check. 

Why is Maddie wearing that blonde wig all the time? It's much faker than the style she wore last season (which may have been extensions and weave) and there's no reason for her to be wearing while lounging around in her hotel room or after sleeping with Ezra. 

• Love 1