Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Laura

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 10:16 PM, slf said:

. Really inconsistent. And while I get that these two could have a friendship/connection I just can't buy them as being in love. In love with what? They barely spoke to each other.

I could see it from the guy's side - due to the logic, he's been alone for over a year, and I bought it due to how the actor played it - but I agree with you on her side of the matter.

For 95% of the episode, she refused to talk much to him (for whatever the reasons), and she seemed to find him annoying or a big doofus for much of it.

I could see him slowly developing a "crush" on her as the episode went along, but only towards the very last bit did she lighten up and act nice to him (when he got up off the couch when she sat down next to him to watch TV, and she's like, "Why are you avoiding me?").

It was just an oddly written episode in terms of showing her falling for him. They didn't spend enough time on that element, or didn't write it well enough, or something, for it to be fully convincing.

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DrNowsWeightScale said:

There is a species of fish called John Dory.  

The TV show character was not referring to the blue cartoon fish "Dory" in the film "Finding Nemo."

The character on the show is letting people know his name is pronounced the same as the fish, but has a different spelling: "Dorie" rather than "Dory."

More on John Dory fish on Wikipedia.

Are you sure? When this show airs in repeat, I'll watch again and pay closer attention, but I could've sworn the background goes by as he's paddling, which would suggest that the canoe is moving. 

Why on earth would a TV show fake something like that? I can't imagine it would be difficult to film two people in a canoe going down a river.

Positive. And one sure way to tell that they are faking it is to notice the water. It is impossible to paddle a canoe without disturbing the water; in fact, both the canoe and the paddle will disturb the water. No matter how carefully you move the paddle, or how smoothly the boat tracks, the water will show it... ESPECIALLY if the water is as smooth as glass, like that water was.

They faked it. And I'm OK with them faking it, I just can't believe they faked it so poorly.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2018 at 9:21 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Aargh... They did not even have sex and now Dorie is moving heaven and earth to try to find her? What is so special about her?

I think they did.

When Laura (aka Naomi/ June) was living with him, John (Dorie) gave Laura his bed, and he was sleeping on the couch.

After John professed his love to Laura, they kissed, and the next morning he woke up alone in the bed because she had already left him, but she left the note on the table for him that said, "I love you too. I'm sorry." 

So, John goes from sleeping on the couch with Laura as his guest, to after the kiss with her, he woke up in his bed the next day - I assume that the show was dropping a hint there that yes, they slept together, at least once before she ran away from him. 

I think the show made it clear John liked her, I could see it in his character, but where I had a hard time buying it was from her.

She didn't seem to me as though she was falling in love with him. She spent most of their time together acting as though he was annoying or a huge doofus. I didn't see as much affection from her towards him as the other way around.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2018 at 4:46 PM, DrNowsWeightScale said:

I think their relationship should have been handled or written differently, had the show writers wanted us to believe them as a couple.

Agree, she said she loved him but I'm not buying that she love loved him.  Even though John and Morgan were both selling it that way at the end.  It just didn't mesh with the way she was acting the rest of the episode.  Plus she ran off.  Actions speak louder than words, remember.  I could even buy that she wanted to get out of there because she was afraid he'd go all creepy/crazy on her since she knew his feelings.  The whole episode you could see him growing fonder of her, but if there was reciprocation on her part that story was missing.

• Love 1