Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Let It Burn

Ryan tags along to a disaster drill training at Station 19 where he and Jack get competitive. Captain Pruitt’s health weakens and Andy is sticking by his side. Meanwhile, both the firehouse crew and police department respond to a strip mall fire, forcing Jack and Ryan to work together.

Who was in command of the other crew if Andy stayed behind at the hospital?

Assuming all personnel on all the resources were committed, why was there an extra turnout coat in the truck?

Why does the PD get to boss around the FD on a fire?

And, to that end, who the actual flock was in charge of that incident?

FF Hughes better find another occupation if she is scared of propane tiki torches.

It's too bad that fire departments don't put other, you know, ladders on the trucks.  A couple of competent, and apparently extra, firefighters could have thrown a 24' extension ladder in no time and accessed that second floor.  But we'll never know now.

Let it burn, my ass.

• Love 2

Holy doG this show is crap!

We're still expected to believe the Station-With-Two-Commanders could be a real thing.  And that one of them (whose turn it is to play bossy-boss) cam can just not show up because of personal reasons.  Which stem from the fact of the sick father who quit being station chief one day and returned to work (as the janitor) the next.  The same sick father who complains bitterly that he can't get any alone-time.  The same sick father who I wish would die, so we can put an end to the sub-plot.  The same sick father who is never going to die, because he is the nail upon which Miranda Bailey hangs.  The same Miranda Bailey who can't be dispensed with because the Grey's Anatomy hook is the only thing keeping this show alive.  

The firefighter who is scared of fire?  Like that would happen and she wouldn't be suspended from duty, if not outright, uh, "fired".  

The cop who keeps running into burning buildings and none of the other firemen can call another cop and say "Restrain this fool."

The woman who calls for the paramedics so she can matchmake for her grandson/nephew/whatever.  Slap her ass with a ticket for making a false emergency call!  I really don't care whether these two hook up or not.  I just lament the possibility of having to watch.

The woman whose brother wants to live like a troll, under a bridge, because of his "art" (which looks like something you'd see on Pinterest - Junior Edition).  He wants to live under a bridge?  Let him!  

The engine ladder that moves towards the fire at one furlong per fortnight, but manages to move away at something apparently close to warp-speed.

What a steaming pile the entire show is!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 8

That major fire started from a match in a metal garbage can? It spread so fast, they didn't finish singing happy birthday. Just a guess: it seems it should have been quickly noticed and put out with a fire extinguisher. 

Is it normal for the fire fighters to stand in front of the building watching the flames. The head chief should take points from Jack for having his fire fighters loafing. 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2018 at 8:03 PM, mxc90 said:

Is it normal for the fire fighters to stand in front of the building watching the flames. 

It's not normal but it happens more times than you'd think (or want to see) after a fire goes defensive. 

That major fire started from a match in a metal garbage can? It spread so fast, they didn't finish singing happy birthday. Just a guess: it seems it should have been quickly noticed and put out with a fire extinguisher. 

You'd like to hope so, but sometimes a confluence of Really Bad Stuff happens, grease catches and you go from ignition to flashover in a couple of minutes. But here's the thing. Except in ancient inner-city buildings (which I would argue that plaza likely was not), sprinklers would be required in at least the back of house, which is where it started. But I can handwave that because sometimes Shit Happens and you have to have a viable source of ignition for a TV fire. That didn't bug me all that much.

On 4/27/2018 at 5:35 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Who was in command of the other crew if Andy stayed behind at the hospital?

Assuming all personnel on all the resources were committed, why was there an extra turnout coat in the truck?

Why does the PD get to boss around the FD on a fire?

FF Hughes better find another occupation if she is scared of propane tiki torches.

It's too bad that fire departments don't put other, you know, ladders on the trucks.  A couple of competent, and apparently extra, firefighters could have thrown a 24' extension ladder in no time and accessed that second floor.  But we'll never know now.

Let it burn, my ass.

Oh, definitely let it burn. The whole series. To the ground. Don't even save the rotten foundation. Don't even try to get The Big One to extinguish it.

Holy crap, what did I watch tonight. Nobody did a f@#$ing primary search upon arrival? Just a single two-and-a-half stretched and in operation?

Mom-and-kid were on the second floor. Two guys with a ground ladder and everybody's back on terra firma in about two minutes or less.

As presented that's not a particularly difficult fire--no need to go defensive that early. It was called as a deuce (conservative, I'd have probably called for 3 with that much fire, if not 4). Get a couple of master streams going, handlines for an interior attack and covering exposures, and the main body of fire would be knocked down in 10 minutes or less. With a competent FD probably half that. Of course, for a TV shoot they couldn't literally burn down a strip mall so the pretend fire they had going wouldn't come close what they might have faced IRL. 

I've asked this before and I'll continue to ask it. Who's on the tiller in Truck 19?

As for PD bossing around FD on the fire ground, it happens. It shouldn't, but it happens. 

And, to that end, who the actual flock was in charge of that incident?

Not one single battalion or division chief in the entire SFD bothers to respond to a deuce with heavy fire and entrapment, until the chief of the entire department comes in at the end to shake hands and congratulate the dipshit who threw the stick up (without outriggers none the less!!) when a ground ladder was all that was needed, and risked multiple lives in the process.

Hughes is on truck, isn't she? Why would she be manning the engine's pump panel (I think that's what she was assigned)? Isn't that the engineer's job? Put her on hydrant duty if nothing else. 

First few episodes weren't particularly hideous in terms of realism, but sweet baby jeebiz, this one was horrid.

• Love 2