Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E06: Brenda Blethyn, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Stephen Mangan and Barry Manilow

• Start Topic

Among the guests on Graham's sofa are double Oscar-nominated actress Brenda Blethyn, starring in hit detective drama Vera; comic actor Stephen Mangan, starring in Postman Pat: The Movie; iconic fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier; and the musical legend that is Barry Manilow.

Why do fashion designers habitually wear things so very out of date? Gaultier's sideburns were practically 90210-era.

I appreciate that Manilow is so assertive that his audiences have fun. I remember seeing him waaaay back in the 70s, in a summer-theatre playhouse with no a/c. The audience was lethargic throughout, but gave him a s/o when he was done. Which shocked him -- he confessed to us he'd told the band they would skip the encore since we were really not feeling it. And then he did the encore. Bless his heart.

Manilow does just seem like the nicest guy - I've heard interviews with him on NPR and's really witty and self deprecating.  I love him for that.  However, his face.  No.  It makes me sad.