Type keyword(s) to search

Filming Locations & Sets

• Start Topic

Hi guys!

I visited Azure window in Gozo (the place where Dany and Khal Drogo got married) before it collapsed and would like to visit some other locations as well as the live experience concert, so I was wondering if any of you have visited some places or events that you could recommend?

I went to the location in the Spanish Basque coast where Dragonstone is based, the island with the winding land bridge up.

In reality, there's a modest church at the top of that winding path, not a big castle.

I visited last July but didn't go specifically because of GoT.

Also did a boat trip to look at the flysch cliffs to the west of San Sebastian.  Those cliffs were also filming locations.

I'm also going to visit Malta next month, though not necessarily because of GoT.

I've done GoT tours in Northern Ireland and Iceland (one from Reykyavik and one from Akyureri), and just came back from Spain, where I visited the Alcazar in Seville (Dorne).

Next year, I'll be back in Ireland and plan to visit "Winterfell" (there's a tour from Dublin).

I've been to the Basque coast, but it was before GoT, so it wasn't significant to me at the time. I was also in Morocco, but not in any of the places GoT was filmed.

Nothing beats an in person visit, but Google earth has some interesting things.  The Basque Coast, for example, locate it on the map, then go to satellite, and then use the little man who walks down streets.  You can climb, with him all the way up to the (CG) castle. 

The roads around Iceland are also almost all photographed as well. 

I may try Croatia later this summer when the doldrums hit.

My son and I binge watched all seven seasons this spring and early summer because we were going to be in Northern Ireland in August and I thought it would be fun to visit some locations. We started the summer in Basque Country, and were finishing season 7 when I read about the stone bridge leading up to Dragon Stone being near us, so that was the first location we visited.

I hadn’t wanted to read about locations while watching the series, because I started to do that and got spoiled about a couple of things. So we missed Sam’s family home near Barcelona.

In Northern Ireland we drove past Titanic Studios as part of a Belfast Tour. They are really missing out by not having a mini studio tour with photo opportunities, souvenir buying etc. there.

We used GoT sites as kind of an excuse to tour around the countryside. We went to the fields where Ned executed the fleeing night watch guy in episode one, the steps of Braavos where Arya crawled out of the harbor after escaping the other “intern’s” assassination attempt, tried to find the caves where the spirit baby was birthed (unsuccessfully), were at the cliff tops where Dragon Stone convos like Jon Snow meeting the dragon took place, the swinging rope bridge where Lord Greyjoy was killed by Euron, the harbor and beaches of Pyke and finally, the King’s Road. Northern Ireland is insanely beautiful. 

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 1