Type keyword(s) to search

Family Matters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Was not surprised when Jaleel revealed he was paid less than his white contemporaries.

I did love that Jaleel had such great parents, which was probably why he got out of child stardom relatively unscathed. And while I get why Reginald and Jo-Marie were upset the first time the show made him do drag for Myrtle, his dad was right to tell them off for berating him for it. He was just a child, don’t put that weight on him.

Although they probably weren’t too thrilled the show brought Myrtle back after promising it was just “one time.” 

• Love 2
On 5/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Was not surprised when Jaleel revealed he was paid less than his white contemporaries.

I did love that Jaleel had such great parents, which was probably why he got out of child stardom relatively unscathed. And while I get why Reginald and Jo-Marie were upset the first time the show made him do drag for Myrtle, his dad was right to tell them off for berating him for it. He was just a child, don’t put that weight on him.

Although they probably weren’t too thrilled the show brought Myrtle back after promising it was just “one time.” 

You all may not know I LOVE Jaleel- he was my first celebrity crush and I follow him on Instagram. 

He had a podcast last year where he interviewed other child actors that “made it” and it was very insightful. (I wish it would come back, but maybe funding was an issue)

Jaleel had parents who really looked out for him- all of the merchandising deals etc and how they invested his money for him. Yeah he works, but he doesn’t pay his daughter’s school tuition with that money, they live off of the money he earned on Family Matters (and his deals from that). Also he’s so hot. Love him. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Despite there being plenty of black sitcoms/movies in the early 2000s, Michelle Thomas (RIP) still had it rough trying to get work?  Very unfortunate.

Didn’t Michelle pass at the very end of 1998, and Family Matters ended in 1998? Her early death was so tragic, but perhaps she could’ve gotten work if she had not gotten sick and lived. It wasn’t even a calendar year between ending her role on Family Matters and her death (or about that much). 

Lots of great actors have a lull between jobs, and things are harder for actors of color. 

• Love 3

This video summarizes many of my thoughts on the show;

1. Steve and Laura had no chemistry
  2. Laura only liked Steve after he had NASA money
  3. Laura should have ended up with Stephan
  4. Steve's obsession with Laura was creepy
  5. Steve lead Myra on
  6. Myra deserved better because she would never be Steve's number one

They gave us one happy ending when we could have had several happy endings. I have heard a lot of guys say they would kill to have a girlfriend like Myra.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

This video summarizes many of my thoughts on the show;

1. Steve and Laura had no chemistry
  2. Laura only liked Steve after he had NASA money
  3. Laura should have ended up with Stephan
  4. Steve's obsession with Laura was creepy
  5. Steve lead Myra on
  6. Myra deserved better because she would never be Steve's number one

They gave us one happy ending when we could have had several happy endings. I have heard a lot of guys say they would kill to have a girlfriend like Myra.

Thank you for sharing this video. I agree. Myra deserved better!!

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you for sharing this video. I agree. Myra deserved better!!

You're Welcome.

I also had to mention that Myra loved Steve for who he was from the very beginning where Laura found him embarrassing until she had a sudden change of heart at the very end of the series.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

You're Welcome.

I also had to mention that Myra loved Steve for who he was from the very beginning where Laura found him embarrassing until she had a sudden change of heart at the very end of the series.

Myra did love Steve. Even though he always put Laura before her. Granted Steve was upfront about this, I remember he said “I enjoy spending time with you but I don’t love you, I love Laura.” So I do give Steve credit for always being upfront about where Myra stood in his affections. 

But Myra was amazing! Why did he want Laura anyway?

• Love 1