Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Race

• Start Topic

On 2/21/2018 at 9:13 AM, EAG46 said:

Why do Nellie and Harriet have it out for Laura and Caroline?

IRL there are plenty of people who have little more to do than make certain people miserable.  Others seem to want to prove to themselves who really has it better.

I noticed in the podcast the mention of wanting to know about "throwing a shoe".  It occurs occasionally when a horse's shoe isn't nailed properly into the hoof, or the horse was close to outgrowing them and the hoof forced them upwards.  They are essentially the equivalent of a fingernail and can indeed crack if not cared for properly.  

56 minutes ago, Kerfuffler said:

I feel like Nels would actually root for Laura in the race and not be so worried about Doc's predictions. Unless he rightly assumes that Harriett and Nellie would make life in his household a nightmare should Nellie not win.

I have no doubt that Nels would truly be in the 7th circle if Nellie lost (and lost the heirloom - which Laura graciously returned to them).

During the podcast summary there was a mention about how the Olsens came to marry.  Especially since you can't imagine Harriett not having always been a bit haughty and believing she and her kids need to live like Vanderbilts or a random robber baron.   I can't help but wonder if Nels married her because he "soiled" her (touched a body part he shouldn't have after meeting her) and was compelled to marry her ASAP.  He had to live with the consequences ever since.

On castor oil....  It was indeed often prescribed by old time doctors and nagging moms for decades!  My dad told me he was given the oil to keep him "regular".  Fortunately there are better ways to use castor oil - like thickening and lengthening eyelashes!!

This episode just played on my local COZI tv station, and Harriet's test ride of the horse is hilarious but also a little concerning. I mean, her daughter *just* got thrown from a horse not even half that spirited - was she not at all concerned that Nellie might really end up paralyzed if she couldn't manage this one?