Type keyword(s) to search

Hostiles (2018)

Silver Raven
  • Start Topic

Hostiles is such a slow, sedate movie, infused with sadness for the end of the Old West era, the end of the Native America lifestyle as well as the end of the cavalry era.  I understand it isn't designed as an action movie, but it could have used less conversation and more action.  Or else they could have cut it down some.  I resisted rooting for Christian Bale's character, because he's such an asshole through the whole thing.  I wish we could have delved into Rory Cochran's character more, though.

Great additional actors such as West Studi, and Adam Beach, and Ben Foster (whom I love in everything he does).  And man, Timothee Chalamet has been busy this year.

I saw this last night. It is a good movie, but not great. I love Christian Bale as an actor, but I thought the movie missed opportunity after opportunity to give screentime to the Cheyenne characters played by talented actors, Wes Studi, Adam Beach, and Q'orianka Kilcher. We didn't get one scene of the family talking to each other about  finally being free and returning to their home.

I didn't mind Christian Bale's character being an ass. It was near as an honest portrayal as we are ever likely to get about the men who committed the genocide of the American Indian peoples.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

A few missed opportunities (especially with the Native American characters, sadly), but I really enjoyed it.  Part of it might have just been me yearning for a Western again, but I really like the dark, but hopeful at the end story, and the gritty but beautiful look of the film.  There was more talking then expected, but I still enjoyed the action and shoot-outs, and how quick, but brutal it could be.  Really enjoyed the scenery too.

Christian Bale definitely goes in the group alongside Russell Crowe and Tom Hardy of "Actors I love, but never want to meet since I heard they're dicks" section, but I just love him, and think he is a hell of an actor.  I was pretty much captivated by him in every frame and I liked that he and the film embraced Joseph's negative traits like his brutality and bigotry toward the Native Americans.  It wasn't fun, but I think it was realistic.  I do wonder if he'll fully turnover a new leaf at the end, or that is just who he is.  Loved Rosamund Pike as well.  Still can't believe she didn't get that Oscar for Gone Girl.

Again, I wish there was more of them, but it was great seeing some of my favorite Native American actors like Wes Studi, Adam Beach, and Q'orianka Kilcher here.  All that was missing was Graham Greene, Gil Birmingham, and Zahn McClarnon!  Also didn't recognize Tanaya Beatty from The Night Shift as Yellow Hawk's daughter.

Fun seeing all the other familiar faces like Stephen Lang, Jesse Plemons, Scott Wilson, and Peter Mullan.  And seeing Timothee Chalamet playing the guy who is the first to get killed.  Suspect he won't be having to play those roles anymore!  But the one that made me get way more excited then I care to admit was Ben Foster, who I always enjoy, but for this film in particular, it reminded me of his and Bale's time together in 3:10 to Yuma, which is one of my favorite westerns of all time.  At least this film didn't 

Spoiler

end with Foster shooting Bale in the back!

I had heard about the slowness factor and while I don’t mind that, I did think the movie could have a used a *tad* more battle scenes.  

But boy was this movie depressing. It’s interesting how even today some people still hold the same exact feelings about “their land” and what the government can and can’t tell them to do. 

Loved the the cinematography in this.

• Love 1

How come I can’t watch this movie anywhere online here in Australia? I’ve searched on Netflix, amazon prime, iTunes, and PlayStation store. Literally tried everything but I’m not able to download or purchase the movie on any platform here in Australia.