Type keyword(s) to search

Times when Caroline was annoying

The worst was in "The Award", where Caroline flips her wig on Mary. Mary was studying for a test and went out to the barn because she didn't want to disrupt anyone else in the house. She kicks over a lantern, on accident, thus starting a minor fire that Caroline quickly puts out. Caroline practically rips her head off and punishes her by not allowing her to take the test. The hell? Who prevents their children from learning? Caroline stands in the way of progress! Caroline quickly realizes how much she overreacted to the situation and wants to ditch the punishment, but allows herself to be talked out of it by Reverend Alden, who always seemed to be The Mole on that show. But that's another thread. Caroline was acting like Mary had set arson to the barn.

Carrie, who never did anything seriously wrong in the entire series, said "damn", after accidentally dropping a hilariously large fork-full of food, a word which she overheard from the saloon, and Caroline practically rips her head off as well.

(Come to think of it, Caroline never seemed to punish Laura either. Laura sure did get away with a lot.)

In "Child Of Pain", Graham is a young local boy who is getting severely abused by his angry, drunken father on a constant basis, who blames him for his wife's death. The entire community rightfully suggests giving the father a dose of his own medicine (people who harm children are the worst) but Caroline interjects by stating that "If you hurt the father, you hurt the boy". No, you hurt the boy by continuing to allow him to remain in a household where he is getting black eyes and belt marks on his back. Anyways, Caroline is persistent about this, eventually leading to Charles "saving" him like he did everyone by putting him to work on the farm. Knowing alcoholics and how much they relapse, that guy was probably back to being on the bottle and abusing his son in no time at all. We never did see them again.

I also hated Caroline's reaction whenever Charles returned from being away for awhile. She would come out of the house with a shocked look on her face and trudge out, arms flailing all over the place. It was ridiculous.

Edited by wiseguy182
better wording
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Watched the very last episode yesterday where they blew up the town. Ma, aka Caroline, grated on my nerves.  It just drives me nuts when she does that fake happy talk, like when she'd say "oh Charles!" with that huge grin. And Ma sure did go from a "Farmers Wife" to a "City Woman"! 

• Love 2

I usually liked her but Caroline could be annoying by promising Laura would 'be appropriately punished' then wind up doing zilch!

Cases in point "Harriet's Happenings" when Harriet storms into Casa Ingalls to  rail at Laura and Albert for changing the news type to get back at Harriet and Nellie, Caroline says they'll be 'appropriately punished' which Harriet shrieks how to which Caroline replies that they  'can't work for the paper any more' . I mean, Charles had ALREADY pulled them off the paper's staff and they were waiting for him to retrieve them when they pulled their stunt so that means not only was there no punishment but it hadn't done anything to stop them!

Also, in "Back to School" after Harriet calls out Laura for the cayenne pepper chicken, Caroline says Laura will be 'appropriately punished' but, again, no parental consequences happen to Laura even after Laura runs off without a word where she's gone late into the night and after she muddies Nellie!

Why doesn't Caroline just tell Harriet she's not going to do squat to Laura and couldn't care less how Harriet reacts so just buzz off?

On 2/2/2018 at 1:20 AM, alegtostandon said:

Watched the very last episode yesterday where they blew up the town. Ma, aka Caroline, grated on my nerves.  It just drives me nuts when she does that fake happy talk, like when she'd say "oh Charles!" with that huge grin. And Ma sure did go from a "Farmers Wife" to a "City Woman"! 

My wagon of all the Little House episodes does not contain that movie! I was devastated.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, savannah31401 said:

My wagon of all the Little House episodes does not contain that movie! I was devastated.

I seem to recall much scenery chewing and overacting from her in the third season episode where Carrie fell down a well.  I'm sure Kim will have a lot to say about it.