Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

And one-liners

If possible, include who, and which episode.

Show-only, and for the Unsullied only; so I won't partake (but I'll be personally disappointed if there's a lack of lobster-talk).

• Love 1
(edited)

Season 3

Little Finger:  Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a laddah.

Season 2, Episode 4

Renly (referring to Stannis):  Born amidst salt and smoke?  Is he a ham?

Season 1, Episode 7

Tywin Lannister: A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of a sheep.

Edited by Snowblack
  • Love 2

Season 2, Episode 9

Tyrion: Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Varys: I've always hated the bells. They ring for horror. A dead king, a city under siege...
Tyrion: A wedding.
Varys: Exactly.

Season 1, Episode 7

Cersei: When you play the game of thrones you win or you die.

Season 3, Episode 1 (??)

Sansa: Because the truth is always either terrible or boring.

Season 3, Episode 9

Robb: Mother...  meep :*(

• Love 2

Cat Stark: You are no knight. You have forsaken every vow you ever took!

Jaime Lannister: So many vows, they make you swear and swear. Defend the King. Obey the King. Obey your father. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. What if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It’s too much. No matter what you do, you’re forsaking one vow or another.

Season 2, Episode 7 "A Man Without Honor"

• Love 5

"The Lannisters send their regards." - Roose Bolton, S3E9

Mero: "The Second Sons have faced worse odds and won."

Jorah: "The Second Sons have faced worse odds and run."

S3 E ???

(love this just bc Jorah seemed so pleased that he came up with that crack lol)

• Love 1

Season 2, Episode 2

Cersei Lannister (to Tyrion): This is what ruling is; lying on a bed of weeds, ripping them out by the root one by one before they strangle you in your sleep.

Season 2, Episode 2

Cersei Lannister (to Tyrion): This is what ruling is; lying on a bed of weeds, ripping them out by the root one by one before they strangle you in your sleep.

Tyrion: I think there's more to ruling than that....

;)

• Love 2

I am never going to say that this was a "favorite" quote. In fact, in a show filled with baby-killing, genital "alterations" (thanks, Ramsay!), hand-removal, Hand "removal", and rape, THIS was one of the most uncomfortable scenes for me to watch. I am usually pretty stoic, but watching Tyrion being destroyed by his father made me squirm...

Tywin: You are an ill made, spiteful little creature, full of envy, lust, and low cunning. Men's laws gave you the right to bear my name and display my colors, since I cannot prove that you are not mine. And to teach me humility, the gods have condemned me to watch you waddle about wearing the proud lion that was my father's sigil and his father's before him. But neither gods nor men will ever compel me to let you turn Casterly Rock into your whorehouse. Go. Now. Speak no more of your rights to Casterly Rock. Go!

Season 3, Episode 1 "Valar Dohaeris"

• Love 3

Just because it's more relevant after Episode 5, the entire quote:

Little Finger: Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies, a story we agree to tell each other over and over, until we forget that it's a lie.
Varys: But what do we have left, once we abandon the lie? Chaos? A gaping pit waiting to swallow us all.
Little Finger: Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

• Love 4

Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.  "There is only one god.  And his name is Death.  And there is only one thing we say to Death...not today."

Lyssa Arryn,giant crazy c*** of the Vale. "You do not fight with honor!"

Bronn, sellsword and badass extraordinaire. "No.  But he did." 

Tyrion Lannister.  "The mad king did as he liked.  has your uncle jamie ever told you what happened to him?"

Ser Meryn, Kinsguard.     "No one threatens, his grace, in the presence of the kingsguard!

Tyrion Lannister.     "Im not threatening the king, Ser, i am educating my nephew.  Bronn, the next time Ser Meryn speaks...kill him. 

That was a threat. See the difference?"

• Love 3

Jon Snow and Mance Rayder, Season 4, Episode 10

Mance:  He was their king.  Last of a bloodline that stretches back before the First Men.

Jon:  Grenn came from a farm.

Mance: Mag and Grenn

Jon: Grenn and Mag

I love Jon Snow's way of showing that Grenn's life is just as important at the last king of the giants.

• Love 5
(edited)

SO4:EO10: The Children

Tyrion, as he has just choked the life out of his former whore, Shae:

"I'm sorry."

And Arya to the Braavosi ship's captain:

"Valar Morghulis!'

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for that quote WS.  I couldn't make out what TG said Jon could never be again. 

A Kneeler.  We Don't Kneel.  Words of the Wilding Multi-"House" Conglomerate.

Edited by Anothermi

Came across this last night as I continue to re-watch before Season Five drops...

Arya: You're the worst shit in the Seven Kingdoms.
Hound: There's plenty worse than me. I just understand the way things are. How many Starks they got to behead before you figure it out?

S4E03: Breaker of Chains

I think that Arya, in the end, figured out that the Hound wasn't the worst shit, but chose to let him suffer anyway because he was a shit. Sort of a parallel to Mel and her 'any rot equals a bad potato' philosophy.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2015-04-07 at 2:13 PM, WhiteStumbler said:

I think that Arya, in the end, figured out that the Hound wasn't the worst shit, but chose to let him suffer anyway because he was a shit. Sort of a parallel to Mel and her 'any rot equals a bad potato' philosophy.

And yet we learned in Oathbreaker that Arya had taken The Hound off her "kill list" which is more likely why she left him to die rather than kill him at his request. Still, it seems leaving him was worse than killing him, but he wasn't on her list anymore. Even The Hound had a code, so why not Arya?

But I got distracted, I came here to post this quote by Lady Olenna Tyrell sitting in on the Small Council Meeting S06E03:Oathbreaker

Olenna: Margery is the Queen. You are not the Queen because you are not married to the King. I do appreciate these things can get a bit confusing in your family.

Just the 2nd instance of low humour in that scene. The first was just before Pycelle had been opining that the "Monster" (our Mountainstein) should be destroyed but swallowed that last word when he turned and saw him. Then we were treated to a loud, squeaky fart.

Edited by Anothermi
add season & episode of quote
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah anothermi, this cracked me up too. Leave it to Lady Olenna to go balls out right to Cersei's face...

18 hours ago, Anothermi said:

...I came here to post this quote by Lady Olenna Tyrell sitting in on the Small Council Meeting S06E03:Oathbreaker

Olenna: Margery is the Queen. You are not the Queen because you are not married to the King. I do appreciate these things can get a bit confusing in your family.

Just the 2nd instance of low humour in that scene. The first was just before Pycelle had been opining that the "Monster" (our Mountainstein) should be destroyed but swallowed that last word when he turned and saw him. Then we were treated to a loud, squeaky fart.

My fav so far for Season 6 has to be from S6E3:

Davos: You were dead. And now you're not. It's completely fucking mad, it seems to me. I can only imagine how it seems to you.

Edited by gingerella
(edited)

Just caught this one:

Part of the uncomfortable conversation at the Tarly dinner table -

LADY TARLY - We once met a man, Lord Umber from Last Hearth, wasn't it Randyll? He said he taught all his daughters how to hunt.

SAM'S SISTER, TARLA? (to Gilly) - Your father taught you how to hunt? Our father would never teach us. I think our father could learn a thing or two from your father. (I nearly spat out my tea! No, no no no NO!)  **Gilly's face is priceless.**

RANDYLL TARLY - That's enough of that. (the only decent thing he said the entire meal.)

Edited by Anothermi

Bringing these quotes selected by janjan in S07E03: The Queen's Justice thread. I loved them too.

Missandei: You are in the presence of Daenyris Stormborn, Queen of [long list]

Davos: Uh, this is Jon Snow. <flustered pause> He's King in the North.

Tyrion to Jon: You look better brooding than I do.

Jaime: I've learned from my mistakes.

Olenna: You must be very wise by now.

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1