Type keyword(s) to search

Series 6: Nouvelle Enquête

Happy Harpy

Canal Plus started to air this "New Investigation" in France on Monday, September 18th. The whole series is available for subscriptors there.

Anybody still watching?

Mild, general spoilers in this post.

I thought that it started with a roar but diluted by the end. I feel that two main characters were written in a corner, one was banned to the periphery, and two others were given too much focus with a predictable as well as repetitive angle which was quite disappointing.

That said, it was a very strong season. It involved me in the story. The case itself and the social and personal implications of being a cop were front and center. The show cared more about telling stories and observing society than about delivering a heavy and quite biased political message (S4, YMMV). The actors were just fantastic and even when I didn't care much about a storyline, the strong performances kept me in. I don't think I can name a MVP, everyone had a moment to shine.

I think the gears are still missing the part named Pierre, though.  And I never thought I'd ever say this back in S4, but Herville rules and I lurve him.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

Almost a year later, I finally saw Series 6.  I loved it and agree with OP. 

Spoiler

I am disappointed with Laure.  I understand that she has reservations and that the storyline brings home the realization of "finding a better place for a child" (Justine's).  However, I found it refreshing that a French show might teach the Americans how to do a television relationship (the "Moonlighting Syndrome") well.  Unfortunately, Laure threw a spanner in that.

Looking forward to Series 7 if there is one.

Pierre is sorely missing.  Herville is, in fact, great.

• Love 2

Just watched end of Series 6...yokes, Laure :( what is she doing?? 

Still, Spiral is one of the best overall series ever along with the Bridge (Swedish version.)  hate to see either end but happy they each have one more season.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying The Tunnel -- which is English and French.  I assume it's something like The Bridge?  

I think I miss Pierre so much because I'm tired of seeing the redhead (her name escapes me right now) destruct.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:36 PM, Captanne said:

I'm enjoying The Tunnel -- which is English and French.  I assume it's something like The Bridge? 

Tunnel is the French version of Bron/The Bridge, indeed.

The redhead is Joséphine. I agree about her evolution, it's one of the characters they wrote into a corner imo. I did like her new friendship with Laure.

Thanks!  I'm not a believer in "a female character is defined by her interactions with male characters around her" ~at all~ but the character of Josephine seems to need a balance and the actor and character of Pierre seemed to be that balance.

I can only assume her spiral (ha!) out of control is partly due to mourning his death and missing him.  (It's too bad that a strong female role like Josephine is dependent on a male counterpart but I also respect that the writers have made that a part of her character.)

In a way, I see Laure going down that road as well.  I was pleased about Gilou's and her relationship except that I felt a strong feeling of, "Oh, the creators have been reading their own fanfic".  Still and all, I thought it was a charming love affair and something Laure deserved.  I also thought she was working well (and realistically) through her trepidation about motherhood.

The end did not please me.  I was disappointed in the writers and the character.

• Love 1

I'm so happy to finally be able to see this season - I've watched the first 2 episodes so far, and it's very much as I remember it.  Agree about Josephine - Audrey Fleurot is a very good actress, but she's not really doing anything different here.  I really want her to finally do work she likes, and not to have to put up with sh*t.    Miss Pierre. 

• Love 1