Type keyword(s) to search

Bourdain travels to the bottom of the world to experience the serene beauty and mystery of the driest, coldest, windiest place on earth. Taken under the wings of such hearty residents as scientists, contractors, and the U.S. military, Bourdain’s adventures include a helicopter view of the largest active volcano in the southern hemisphere, a snowmobile drive over 8 ft. thick sea ice, a visit with a colony of Adele penguins, and a trip the South Pole.

An acquaintance of mine was sent to Antarctica to do research for work. He was there from about November to February. Since I didn't really know him well (he was a friend of a friend so I'd see him occasionally at social gatherings), I didn't think I could just call him after he got back and demand to hear all about it, so I was really excited about this episode because I had always been curious about what it was like in Antarctica.

• Love 1

My sisters best friend since college spent two seasons doing research in Antarctica friends of friends of hers text her all the time to ask her questions about it so your acquainted probably wouldn't have thought it was weird.

Tony had a funny look on his face for most of this episode.  I can't decide whether he was just freezing his ass off or he thought some of the people he met were a little weird or both!  Still, I really loved this episode as I've always been fascinated with Antarctica and I got to learn and see stuff about it I never knew.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Tony had a funny look on his face for most of this episode.  I can't decide whether he was just freezing his ass off or he thought some of the people he met were a little weird or both!  Still, I really loved this episode as I've always been fascinated with Antarctica and I got to learn and see stuff about it I never knew.

I noticed that too. I thought he was either drinking heavily or hearing white noise from the scientific conversations that were clearly over his head most of the time. I loved the episode though, especially as there was so much more going on in Antarctica than I'd ever pictured. And he always does a good job weaving in good info about the place. (The only part I didn't like was when he talked about the anti-intellectualism that is so contrary to their life's work. I think he underestimates Americans sometimes because of being so caught up in mainstream culture. I thought he did it again in Oman--another really good show last night--by talking about how "my country isn't interested in validating 'the other' at this time." Yes, there's some of that, sure. But millions of people are thrilled by multiculturalism, embrace "the other" and actually live in this century. I'm glad he's never "my country, rah, rah" but sometimes the negative generalizations are unfair, too. Anyway, Oman and Antarctica were both exceptional, in spite of that and just push all my "envy" buttons because it's amazing what he's been able to see and do.).

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Padma said:

The only part I didn't like was when he talked about the anti-intellectualism that is so contrary to their life's work. I think he underestimates Americans sometimes

I also noticed that he mentioned that the researchers in Antarctica are there just for research and science and discovery and then made some kind of comment to indicate that it happens nowhere else, despite the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of researchers in America (and all over the world) who do the same thing every day without evil ulterior motives (just in warmer environments). It's not that I'm trying to denigrate anyone who goes to Antarctica, but I don't think he needed to make it sound like research at that level doesn't exist anywhere else. There are plenty of scientists in other places. People who go to Antarctica aren't martyrs who are better than researchers in other locations. They go to Antarctica because that's where they need to go to study these specific things, the same way that archaeologists go where they can study fossils or marine biologists conduct their research in or near oceans. Sometimes the subject of your research dictates your location. The things that they're studying in Antarctica aren't things you can study in, say, the Sahara.

• Love 2