Type keyword(s) to search

Lorne Malvo: Definitely Not Potty Shy

Milburn Stone
  • Start Topic

Not ep specific observation:  Is it not in a crook's interests to maintain a low profile?  I totally get that Malvo does.not.care.  But, what about the Fargo hit men?  They most publicly took on that jerk in the titty bar.  When said jerk comes up missing, any doubt that the fringe jacket dude would be remembered by most in that bar?

Is Malvo the name of the Billy Bob character? In another thread he's been called Lorne.

So 1) is his name Lorne Malvo, and 2) how do anyone of you know his name? I haven't noticed him being called by name.

Edited by Milburn Stone

I think he introduced himself to Lester? And also, here's IMDB's series description:

A drifter named Lorne Malvo arrives in small-town Minnesota and influences the population with his malice and violence, including put-upon insurance salesman Lester Nygaard.

I think he introduced himself to Lester? And also, here's IMDB's series description:

You might be right about the emergency-room introduction, Dougal. I wonder if anyone can confirm it.

I'm not at all surprised the information about the character's name is contained elsewhere than in the show. It just happens to be a pet peeve of mine when information is "out there" that is not contained in actual episodes. My view is that if it's something we need to know (or even should know), it's incumbent on writers to, you know, actually put it in the show. I realize that in this newfangled age, a lot of people don't have that hangup. Anyway, maybe we were given the information and I missed it.

You might be right about the emergency-room introduction, Dougal. I wonder if anyone can confirm it.

I just rewatched that scene to check, and no, he doesn't introduce himself. I also checked the other places I thought it might have happened, and got a subtitle file for the first episode online and his name doesn't appear anywhere in there. So, yeah, I guess his name wasn't in the actual show (at least in episode one).

I also don't know how Lester finds Lorne again after he hears that Sam's dead; the show just has him walk into the diner where he's eating lunch, and later has him call the motel and ask for room 23 without (as far as I can tell) ever having been told that's where he's staying. Ugh.

Not only is Malvo super-human--he can kill endless numbers of people and escape from everything, but he has an amazing wardrobe.  The fur collared overcoats, the beautiful jackets......he's a very stylish hit-man.

• Love 1

I am super gratified that we were given more reason to believe that Malvo is extra-human.  His forceful breathing back to life after being gut shot (and after considerable blood loss well prior to the shots) was a wonderful wink o' the eye by Hawley.  Also, yet another gun jammed?!  

My theory as to what can finally kill the type of demon Malvo was is that it takes a head shot.  Otherwise, he can literally will himself to healing.

I honestly wish he had not been killed in hopes he would return in the next series.  So long as we get another "Malvo," I'll be a happy camper.

Question for y'all:  Did Malvo go to the cabin to die "free" (from the bear trap)?  Or, was he fully expecting to survive and move on?    

I was wondering about the odd name Malvo, and then, when they put the ratings up after the commercials, I think I've got it. Read the rating they gave Fargo - Mature Audience Language Violence - add an O and you've got Malvo! I don't know if that's it, but it would be a funny inside joke.

• Love 3

I was wondering about the odd name Malvo, and then, when they put the ratings up after the commercials, I think I've got it. Read the rating they gave Fargo - Mature Audience Language Violence - add an O and you've got Malvo! I don't know if that's it, but it would be a funny inside joke.

I'm pretty sure the last name is from the beltway sniper (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Boyd_Malvo), although I haven't read anything to back that up. I figured Hawley didn't want to give the monster he created a name that wasn't already tarnished with notoriety. But I could be wrong.

When the good guys were first learning his name, I recall the person giving it to them saying something like, "Lorne. Like the fella on that western," referring to Lorne Greene from Bonanza, and later Captain Adama from the first Battlestar Galactica--in other words, and actor whose name is associated with the quintessential good guy.

There are lots of ways to interpret the contrast of the two names.

• Love 1