Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E19: Live Top 12 Performances

Vyk
  • Start Topic

WE enjoyed Jesse, but not the beginning of the song.

Mark has a good voice, but it's not our style.  However, it is Top 40 ready.

Stephanie:  Love (?) her story, HATE her voice & stage presence.

Vanessa was very good.

Aliyah was meh, but she looks like a Pop Star.

Lili was boring.

We also liked TS.... He's fun and has good stage presence.

Troy should NOT be here!  Awful, awful, awful.

Missed the rest, because the show was so boring we kept flipping around the channels.

THIS SHOW NEEDS JAY!

2 hours ago, mangosplums said:

Is it me or were all the performances this episode low quality compared to what we're used to? Not sure what happened, but it's odd.

It's not just you.  I've watched every season of The Voice, as has my sister.  We've always enjoyed e-mailing the next day with our thoughts about the various performances and performers.  For the first time in 12 seasons, last week she dropped out early, saying there was nobody who interested her.  I hung in until the first live show because I was still somewhat interested in Chris Blue, but no one else.  Having only one performer I'd bother watching in the lives was unusual for me too.  But, after last night, I'm peace out.  There's no one in the top 12 I ever want to hear sing again. 

Remember when The Voice had current songs, a lot of good to great singers, and the judges didn't tell every one of these off-key, thin-voiced, nasally, melisma-abusing kids that they were great singers and superstars?  Sadly, I do.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

It's not just you.  I've watched every season of The Voice, as has my sister.  We've always enjoyed e-mailing the next day with our thoughts about the various performances and performers.  For the first time in 12 seasons, last week she dropped out early, saying there was nobody who interested her.  I hung in until the first live show because I was still somewhat interested in Chris Blue, but no one else.  Having only one performer I'd bother watching in the lives was unusual for me too.  But, after last night, I'm peace out.  There's no one in the top 12 I ever want to hear sing again. 

Remember when The Voice had current songs, a lot of good to great singers, and the judges didn't tell every one of these off-key, thin-voiced, nasally, melisma-abusing kids that they were great singers and superstars?  Sadly, I do.

But I think all of these performers have done great other nights. It was just this episode that was off. I donno. They are did way worse than they have perviously. 

• Love 1

I re-listened, and I think I was just in a bad mood when I watched before. Vanessa, Stephanie, Chris and Brennley all gave great performances. I'm rooting for Chris and Vanessa to be in the final. I think Chris will make it, but the voice voting public doesn't seem to like complex, interesting black women, so I'll be surprised in Vanessa makes it... but I hope she does.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mangosplums said:

I re-listened, and I think I was just in a bad mood when I watched before. Vanessa, Stephanie, Chris and Brennley all gave great performances. I'm rooting for Chris and Vanessa to be in the final. I think Chris will make it, but the voice voting public doesn't seem to like complex, interesting black women, so I'll be surprised in Vanessa makes it... but I hope she does.

Did you watch on different devices?  I find a noticeable difference between watching the episode on TV and watching the youtube videos on my computer or tablet. It usually sounds better on Youtube for me.  

I really like Vanessa too.  I don't have high hopes either given this show's track record but you never know.  The last contestant that I was truly invested in was Kimberly Nichole in season 8 and she was eliminated around Top 6 (I think).  Before that, Judith Hill in season 4 who was eliminated even earlier.  I did have one favorite (Tessanne Chin in season 5) who made it far but she did so with boring overdone songs.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Noreaster said:

Did you watch on different devices?  I find a noticeable difference between watching the episode on TV and watching the youtube videos on my computer or tablet. It usually sounds better on Youtube for me.  

I really like Vanessa too.  I don't have high hopes either given this show's track record but you never know.  The last contestant that I was truly invested in was Kimberly Nichole in season 8 and she was eliminated around Top 6 (I think).  Before that, Judith Hill in season 4 who was eliminated even earlier.  I did have one favorite (Tessanne Chin in season 5) who made it far but she did so with boring overdone songs.

I agree that the performances tend to sound much better on YouTube (with good headphones) than on TV.  I always rewatch most of them on YouTube.

I also really like Vanessa.  I thought she was among the best this week, along with Brennley and Chris.  I really wouldn't mind seeing those three reach the final.

One step below, but also good, were Lauren and Aliyah.  I really like Lauren, but have not liked the songs she's been given lately.  As for Aliyah, her improvement in the live-shows has been remarkable compared to what we saw from her in the earlier rounds.

Jesse, Hunter, and Stephanie okay, but have been much better in previous weeks.

The worst performances of the night came from Mark, Troy and Lilli.  Poor Lilli not only was sick, but got stuck with a horrible song choice.  I hope she gets something better next week.

Edited by viajero
spelling
  • Love 1

Alison Porter did a great job with Linda's Blue Bayou a couple of seasons ago.  Maybe, it'll bring them luck. 

Since we are being exacting, let's just credit Roy Orbison for "Blue Bayou", it's his.  Linda covered it nicely, as did Alison.  

This is my pet peeve with this show.  Did they even mention Bob Dylan when calling "Make You Feel My Love", Adele's song? 

Music is timeless.  The 21st century is full of crap music and good music as is every other century before it.  Full stop.

Count me as one who doesn't get the Wonder of Hunter.  He's annoyingly whispery and mumbly but , hey, to each his own.  I just hope Gwen helps him with the prison hair cut.  He seems very nice and I can live with him winning.  He's not as cute as Sawyer but he sings marginally better so there's that. 

I watched on demand and didn't know what to expect with Lili after reading comments.  It wasn't all that bad, really, she just sounded tired and weak as would be expected after gastro issues.

Leon Russell, people, Leon Russell!!!  Not Donny Hathaway.  Having said that, the best cover of this song in any century is Karen Carpenter's.  No runs, no nonsense, no contest.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 4