Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Visitor

Set about sixty years* after the previous episode, an elderly Jake Sisko tells a young fan about the tragedy that changed course of his life

Not going to lie - this may be a fan favourite, but I don't like this episode. While the opening segment where Jake is utterly devastated at seeing his father's death (or worse - maybe death, maybe not) is incredibly poignant (some top notch acting from Cirroc Lofton there) but while the portrayal of his depression is highly accurate, it isn't very compelling to watch. And I really HATE the idea that you should sacrifice your life when the person you're sacrificing it for explicitly asks you not to. That isn't noble, it's just selfish - and most people don't get the Mulligan that allows their "noble" sacrifice to be painlessly undone.

Though on my most recent viewing I did go "Hey! It's Candyman!" (Tony Todd) as old Jake - I hadn't realised he'd also played Worf's brother Kurn on ST-TNG.

* Not exactly sure how many years it is, but it's at least fifty  (though IRL, Tony Todd is only 24 years older than Cirroc Lofton).

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1

This was in my opinion a very well acted episode. So many times and scenes that are heart breaking and we know that with Sisko gone, many things didn't happen like the Dominion War, Cardassia turning on the Federation, Bajor left in the void and even the Kligons returning to a Cold War status for about 30 years. 

I kind of like episodes like this where they think outside the box. However, the effect on Sisko would have been profound beyond belief, and not something they basically never mention again. He died, he was suspended in limbo for the next 60+ years, then was sent back again for a do-over. Imagine seeing your own child grow up, marry, get old, die then have to start all over again. I can't even grasp how someone would process that and be able to move on with their lives.

And knowing what we do now, it seems that one of the results of Sisko's second chance will be that Jadzia will not live to see old age. 

Wow, I have to say this is a very poignant and emotional episode.  In response to John Potts comments, yes maybe it was selfish of Jake to throw his life away against Sisko's wishes, but that doesn't make it unrealistic.  In fact, that's part of what makes the whole situation so heartbreaking.  But I definitely found the story compelling and an interesting watch.  Anyway, all's well that ends well  :)

• Love 1