Type keyword(s) to search

Life (2017)

ZoqFotPik
  • Start Topic

Life is a 2017 American science fiction horror film directed by Daniel Espinosa, written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick and starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson and Ryan Reynolds. The film follows a six-member crew of the International Space Station that uncovers what initially seems to be the first evidence of life on Mars; however, the crew finds their discovery might not be what it seems.

I thought the movie was just ok It was well acted, the atmosphere was tense, and the creature was well designed and animated. You could see its intelligence. The story was something "Outer Limits" has done many before. The ending was predictable, I knew the movie would end with the creature on Earth. However, I thought it would be two creatures, not the switcharoo with the pods.

• Love 1

Saw this last night. Alien 2.0. Visuals were great and I did like concept of the movie. Too many "Huh"? Moments in the movie. I also knew the alien landed on earth.

Save your money and wait till this comes out on cable. Watch Alien for a good creature space movie

Yeah, "just ok" was about how I summed it up to folks as well.   There was really nothing innovative or unique about it in terms of the "alien discovery wants to kill us all" trope.

And there was no evidence in the movie the creature could reproduce (except that it grew from a single surviving cell) - if it can't, then they just need to contain it.  I also thought the "surprise" was going to be a second one in the other pod.

• Love 1

The acting in this was much better than the plot. Visuals were good and the alien did end up looking scary. But as noted, the ending was a bit too predictable. However, a few other things annoyed me, starting when the xenobiologist was in the lab and the alien latched on to its hand. Why in the everloving fuck did other crew members go in there to try to rescue him? Doing so is completely against the lab protocols that would be in place. That's the point at which  you lock down the lab to make sure there is no exit for the organism to get to the rest of the ship. Yes, it's tough on the scientist who's in that lab, but when you sign up to interact with an unfamiliar alien organism, that's the chance you take, same as if you were working in a bio-lab when some bio-weapon accidentally got released. Your individual life is not worth the risk of having something that dangerous get out and possibly kill numerous other people. Also, why would a carbon-based life form be somehow impervious to fire? Finally, it just seemed like there were too many times when any rational person would have said, fuck it, let's either pump poison into/cut off all oxygen to the lab (if possible) and if not, it's time to send two people back to earth in the escape pods, so they can contact the appropriate government agencies to send a rescue ship for the rest of the survivors.  Granted, if the alien got out of the lab before Soyuz could get there, there might well be no survivors, but at least earth would be aware of the danger, and Soyuz could do what it was supposed to do in the movie and send the infected space station into deep space. 

• Love 2