Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: I Got This

Talaikha and Malik treat Georgia Ray, one of the world’s biggest pop stars and friend of James’s, for laryngeal cancer, but when gold particles and microsurgery reveal more cancer than expected, they incur the singer’s wrath when her vocal chords and career are threatened. Also, Angie’s mother reluctantly sees Scott as a patient when she thinks she may be ill, and James is discouraged when he thinks Louis Keating’s GSS is getting worse.

For someone who just had vocal chord surgery, twice, that singer character insisted on doing waaaaay too much talking. It make me twitchy. If she's so worried about her voice you think she'd take the vocal rest recommendation to heart, not promptly scream at her doctors.

• Love 1

Okay. I had a lot of issues with this episode. I'll have to get over it. I was happy to see Louis improve, though. I hope it's permanent. 

I was confused as to why after the vocal cord reconstruction the doctor said the patient could talk as soon as she felt like it. WHAT? No healing required?   Makes no sense.  The only reason it was done that way, imo, was so they could complete the scene.  They need to give these stories a little more time. 

The drug addict mother was definitely my least favorite story so far.  Where were the Child Protective Services people? This mother was a danger to herself and others.  Where were the psychiatrists?  Odd.  And she was expected to have custody of the premature infant within a couple of days of experiencing Detox?  OMG.  It was probably the most irresponsible display of addiction I have ever seen on a drama series.  The story seemed to say that you could overcome drug addiction if you love your child enough.  OMG.  It's not about will power.  Addiction is a complex condition and to not have an addiction expert on board was so reckless.  Most  addicts have to live in a supportive environment for a number of months, before being considered strong enough to live independently.  A recent recovering addict would not do well to have the stresses of being a single parent with a newborn.  To think that these doctors are that clueless, is insulting to the viewer.  It was wrong on so many levels, that I just have to pretend that it didn't happen. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Agree, SunnyBeBe,

Yes, it was nice that the mother felt confident enough to hold the baby after some prodding. However; WHY wouldn't the docs, nurses or someone on staff consider that she'd have to prove she could stay clean longer than a few days (and, I dunno, find a way to earn a living for herself and the baby) before getting to be the sole caretaker for this baby with many issues. Oh, and I know that a REAL preemie who weighed 3 pounds would have been far too fragile for them to have used for the role. However; this baby was far too BIG and healthy to have been believable. CGI or even a puppet would have worked better here.

Also, wouldn't some outside governmental authority put the kibosh on James for actually EXPELLING a patient just because the patient lost her temper? I mean, hospitals are supposed to treat ALL ill and/or physically endangered patients including criminals and enemy soldiers so why would it be more than just the docs guilt tripping James that would get him to reverse things? Yes, she sure DID shout way too much for having just had this surgery (and I have to agree that they could have just had her write angry texts and/or gestures to convey her displeasure)

Yes, I hope Mr. Keating's improvement proves permanent. However; by having injected this expressly forbidden experimental drug into him, this kind of puts James in a bit of a bind re whether to let everyone think it was divine intervention or whether to risk major consequences re telling how it happened. Sort of reminds me of the old joke in which a preacher skipped a Sunday to play golf and God punished him by letting him play a perfect handicap which he could NEVER tell anyone about.

As for Angie? Actually, I was compelled re how her own ideas of what her 'backwards' mother knew and what she was being tested for got turned upside down re the very serious diagnosis of that stage of cancer. I wish Scott had told her that the reason her mother was treating her like she was twelve was because she was ACTING like a twelve-year-old. I hope she actually tells her mother how sorry she was for underestimating her as well as having blown off how serious her condition was until almost too late.

One more show. I wonder if they'll attempt cliffhangers that will have to be posthumously shipped?