Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E26: The Final

That was a great final.

I actually loved all three showdances.

Coming into the final I definitely wanted Danny to win, but Ore was exceptional in all three of his dances.  I guess I still want Danny to win most, based on consistency through the series, but I wouldn't be unhappy if Ore won.

I would be disappointed if boring Louise won (even though I really liked her showdance).

PS: I saw Louise's husband and FIL were in the audience, but not her MIL.  I wonder if the being run over has caused a marital rift there?

Edited by Occasional Hope
  • Love 1

I'm happy for Ore. I'm less happy for vindicating some of Jo's more "me, me, me" tendencies. (I vaguely remember having giant letters spelling out the star's name before but I can't recall a pros name being included.) Ore is a real charmer though and he seems like a genuine sweetheart (to be fair, all of the finalists seemed nice and supportive of one another). 

I was definitely not a fan of Louise's showdance. It was odd and I'm not sure why Kevin did that. Either he's out of ideas or he was trying too hard to over correct after past losses. The dance was clunky and overly sentimental. 

I kind of feel like Danny's showdance blew it. The staging was too dark and I think the mirror prop was too restrictive. It was clever but didn't really feel that different from a normal dance for them.

• Love 2

At what point did you turn off, Occasional Hope? Results are always announced on the same night for the final (usually four finalists with one eliminated after the second dance), that's why they have all kinds of other stuff like the returning contestants dance to fill in time while the votes are verified. It's not over till the credits roll! (Very noticeable, btw, that Will Young did not come back for the final when everyone else did, and everyone was careful not to mention him - breach of contract, for definite, as was walking out in the first place)

I enjoyed the final thoroughly, I always do - somehow all the little niggles that annoy me all season never seem to matter as much when it comes to the final. The camaraderie felt genuine, everyone seemed really happy for everyone else. Also enjoyed the tribute to Len on his retirement.

I thought Ore's win was deserved on the night, he was the best dancer on the night. The judges seemed really disappointed that Danny made mistakes in his first dance, and personally I really enjoyed his dramatic showdance (after not having liked him much all season) but I don't think the public were ever going to vote for him - he's a ringer, he's had dance training previously which gave him a head start over most of the other contestants and it showed. Louise was very sweet and did gain a lot of confidence, but Ore was better on the night.

When Tess started wittering on after Danny's samba ;)  I always kind of tune her out.

I do remember them eliminating one contestant after two dances in previous years, but they didn't do that here.

I'm quite happy with Ore winning - he danced really well in all his three dances.  I think the ballroom-focussed showdance will have appealed to a lot of more traditional voters, too.

• Love 1

Did I hear Claudia say the judge's scores were only a guide and that only audience vote matters? Does this mean there were no points awarded for placement on the judges leaderboard or was it just poor wording from Claudia? Is this new or have they been scrapping the judges scores in the finale for a while?

17 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Did I hear Claudia say the judge's scores were only a guide and that only audience vote matters? Does this mean there were no points awarded for placement on the judges leaderboard or was it just poor wording from Claudia? Is this new or have they been scrapping the judges scores in the finale for a while?

All the news articles I'm reading say that it was only the public vote deciding.

2 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I'm pretty sure the judges' scores have never counted in the final, they are always only there as 'guidance', the result is 100% public vote - but then again, I've never paid close attention to the rules and haven't watched every series religiously, so may be misremembering. But that's always been my understanding of it. The judges can try hard to get their favourites through to the final, but if the public don't like them, they can't fix it to make them win!

• Love 1