Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E22: Musicals week

I think the likely, and the right, B2 is the Judge vs Ore.  The Judge was enthusiastic and energetic but very unsexy, while Ore was OK but I believe will suffer from going first, and dancing to a little-known tune from a musical not known by many as a musical.

I really enjoyed Louise whose dance/music had the personality she lacks herself, and Claudia.  Danny was good but it was a bit too polished.

I thought Ore's dance was the best one of the night (and mind you, I'm a HUGE Danny fan).  And Danny's Tango was anything but "polished." He missed quite a few heel leads, and his posture was all wrong for the Tango, which requires an almost exaggerated posture:  Head up and back, chest open, and shoulders and upper back stretched out, back, and just a bit down.

I also have to say something about Louise and Kevin's Quickstep.  While I get the concept, I really wasn't a fan of the choreography or the execution. In the old days, Len would have ripped Kevin a new one for not only breaking hold in the Quickstep but also choreographing so much "faffing about" during the hold break.  Kevin is one of my favorite pros, but I just don't think this was his best work by a long shot.  He's becoming too much of Strictly's answer to Derek Hough.

I loved the Musicals number that Anton headlined.  People tend to forget just how talented and versatile Anton really is.  I myself had forgotten just how good a singer he is, since it's been a while since I've heard him sing.  I still think he should have replaced Bruce as host; Claudia and Tess are as exciting as watching paint dry.  Anton would at least bring some life to the job.

If we can't get him as host, can we at least get Anton to replace Len as head judge next year, pretty please?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I thought Ore's dance was the best one of the night (and mind you, I'm a HUGE Danny fan).  And Danny's Tango was anything but "polished." He missed quite a few heel leads, and his posture was all wrong for the Tango, which requires an almost exaggerated posture:  Head up and back, chest open, and shoulders and upper back stretched out, back, and just a bit down.

I also have to say something about Louise and Kevin's Quickstep.  While I get the concept, I really wasn't a fan of the choreography or the execution. In the old days, Len would have ripped Kevin a new one for not only breaking hold in the Quickstep but also choreographing so much "faffing about" during the hold break.  Kevin is one of my favorite pros, but I just don't think this was his best work by a long shot.  He's becoming too much of Strictly's answer to Derek Hough.

I loved the Musicals number that Anton headlined.  People tend to forget just how talented and versatile Anton really is.  I myself had forgotten just how good a singer he is, since it's been a while since I've heard him sing.  I still think he should have replaced Bruce as host; Claudia and Tess are as exciting as watching paint dry.  Anton would at least bring some life to the job.

Anton has a nice voice but that number seemed to go on and on. At one point halfway through as he's walking around he even has a "FFS" type expression on his face.  I did love the West Side Story number, especially Karen as Rita Moreno.

I don't mind Neil Jones but he seems so out of place with the other dancers and with the show. I tend to wonder if he, Chloe, AJ and Oksana will be back next year. 

Ore finally managed to find some chemistry with Joanne, but I thought the dance itself was forgettable and sloppy, although the parade of backing dancers in huge costumes were part of that. There's something oddly juvenile about Ore as a dancer that worked for him early on but this late is distracting. I've noticed in several of his recent dances he's started jumping up and down like Veruca Salt. I'd say that was his Willy Wonka homage, but he did it in the American Smooth at Blackpool as well. I don't understand why. 

All I noticed in Danny's dance was how lovely his Liberace jacket was and how gorgeous Oti looked. There was nothing very tango-ish in music or choreography.  It was also overscored. I can't help wondering if they did that deliberately to give him some of the backlash that their pets like Ore and Louise have been getting. 

Louise has no sparkle. I thought Kellie Bright was somewhat irritating and the show's desperate need to see her (really Kevin) win helped ruin what could have been a decent series, but she would have been so much better at that quickstep. The only thing I remembered about Louise was when she nearly fell off the table. Everything else was typical Louise - a generic woman who won some contest to appear on the show. 

Rinder's faces were in overdrive, either because he knows the end is coming or because this is just his idea of Latin dancing. Either way, I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoy most of his dances...

Claudia and AJ had a very cute dance and a theme they did their best with, trying to add salsa where they could, but it was another that was extremely forgettable. The highlight was AJ's trousers. 

I think there's been one week out of this series (last week) that didn't feel generic and uninspiring, cluttered with poor music choices.