Type keyword(s) to search

Current Event: Tennessee Wildfires

And it's reached Dollywood's doorstep  in nearby Pigeon Forge but so far fire fighters have kept it at bay. That entire area is VERY dependent on tourism so the loss of these tourist hot spots could have major impact for quite some time.

2 hours ago, ChimmyChai said:

Wildfires around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/us/gatlinburg-fires/index.html

The Ober Gatlinburg ski resort has been reported as completely destroyed.

I live in the area (an hour east) and Ober Gatlinburg is not completely destroyed contrary to earlier reports. All the animals at the aquarium are also reportedly safe and they have marine biologists on hand assessing the situation. My immediate area has been plagued by wildfires for almost a month now. Can't go outside without seeing and breathing in smoke. It FINALLY!!!!!!!!! Rained last night and most of thof fires have now been completlely contained. The Smoky Mountains are still shut down as of now and I don't think Gatlinburg received any of the rainfall we did recently to help with their fire. Things are so grim here right now. We need the rain so bad!

• Love 1

I'm in upstate SC and we've been breathing the smoke from the NC fires for weeks. And they just keep popping up all over the place. It's terrifying. My friend had to go clear out pictures and papers from her mom's house last week (it's still standing, but still threatened). Another friend's parents were evacuated from Lake Lure, but they made it back home and everything is ok for now. 

But this one seemed to come out of nowhere - it got so big so fast. I feel awful for y'all up there, especially since I know this is a big season for tourism dollars. We really needed more rain that we got today. I'm starting to think it's never going to rain again. 

• Love 2