Type keyword(s) to search

Marathon: The Patriots Day Bombing

• Start Topic

Drawing from home videos, news clips and exclusive interviews, this vivid film follows Boston Marathon attack survivors as they face the challenges of emotional and physical recovery, and strive to reclaim their lives and communities.

I thought this was really well doNE though the first 10 minutes was crazy graphic.

I was out of the country during the event and immediate aftermath so I didn't actually know a lot of the details about the victims (though my niece was born a few days before the bombing at Beth israel and was two months premature and in the NICU so I got emails from my sister about not being allowed into the hospital or the crazy security they had to go through after  Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was admitted) and I thought this did a great job showing the impact on the families they chose to follow. Jessica's health struggle and also the emotional effect of the setbacks was heartbreaking particularly compared o her husbands recovery.

I would also totally watch a documentary  about the victims service animals.

Edited by biakbiak
On 11/22/2016 at 3:41 AM, biakbiak said:

Jessica's health struggle and also the emotional effect of the setbacks was heartbreaking particularly compared o her husbands recovery.

Kensky and her husband somehow pulled strings to get treated at Walter Reed despite never having served a minute in the military. What a shame that some young man or woman who did sign up to serve while Kensky and her husband were living it up as Boston yuppies had to wait longer because of that. Especially given that Kensky’s daddy is a doctor and the family has resources that most military families don’t. 

Kensky and her husband have great PR people. 

• Love 1

I don't think of an oncology nurse and a graduate student in mental health as yuppies. This article gives some background on their lives immediately prior to the bombing.  This article from military.com addresses how Jessica Kensky was admitted to Walter Reed, and this addresses civilian treatment at a U.S. Army burn center. The larger question about spending public funds on civilian victims of terrorist acts staged in the U.S., a precedent set by 9/11, is discussed here, although Kensky's stay at Walter Reed was covered by her insurance.  

• Love 7