Type keyword(s) to search

Kidney Stones

• Start Topic

Hi everyone, my dh has a kidney stone. The dr gave him medicine for pain and  medicine to help the stone pass. How long does this usually take to pass ?  Even though he has medicine for the pain, he is still very uncomfortable.

Any helpful suggestions. 

21 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Nothing....... ?

Looks like everybody around here has been lucky enough to avoid this problem.  It did remind me of a recent story I read that riding roller coasters helps with kidney stones, so there's that.

The research I did gives some annoyingly vague answers to your question. A lot of "it depends on the size of the stone and of the person, even with medicine", and the time could be within 48 hours, but it could also take longer.  I didn't see anything making any definitive statements about the time, although it does seem like the medicine should speed up the process.  

I hope it passes soon, because it sounds like it's awful.

(edited)

No, he's now  into 'week 3' and he still has it. He went in for a CT Scan yesterday and they said it'll take the dr about 3 days to read it.  His dr gave him meds to open his urethra to allow the stone to pass though but nothing to actually break the stone up.

I feel so sorry for him.........

Update: The Dr read his CT Scan today and just told dh that the stone is 5mm. now we know why it won't pass. Damn!

Edited by stillhere1900
(edited)

Thank you. Right now he is beyond livid because they told him that their appts to see a Urologist are 6 weeks out, and there is nothing they (Kaiser) can do about it.  They said he can  get more pain meds or go to the ER if the pains gets too bad. 

It's "too bad"       right now

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2017 at 12:01 AM, stewedsquash said:

My husband had three episodes of kidney stones. He hasn't had any in about 10 years. He becomes completely debilitated when they come on. Some of the advice he got from the last doctor was as soon as he got the feeling (I guess there is a sense after you have had it, you know what to look for) of one to go home and drink beer to start flushing it out (and there was a reason for it being beer also but I can't remember what it was).  He came home from work one day with three of those two quart beer bottles and started drinking and peeing. Sometime over the night he passed the stone. His were calcium stones so he was told to cut something out, I can't even remember what it was either. It was also recommended to drink cranberry juice (not cocktail) on the regular. 

Like the poster above, he also had a nitwit nurse who had kids and stones and told him stones were worse. I mean, really? I had one thing to hold over his head and there you go, blowing it for me. I pressed that call button endlessly making her really work her shift that night for pulling that kind of stunt.

Has anyone ever had surgery for kidney stones before.  Not, the sonar waves, but, actual surgery?  A friend of mine said that he was going to have that and I was curious about it. 

On 5/21/2018 at 12:21 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone ever had surgery for kidney stones before.  Not, the sonar waves, but, actual surgery?  A friend of mine said that he was going to have that and I was curious about it. 

A few months back I was suffering from stone pain. Then I consult my urologist and he did surgery. Now I am completely recovered.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eshan Patel said:

A few months back I was suffering from stone pain. Then I consult my urologist and he did surgery. Now I am completely recovered.

That's great news about your recovery.  My friend must have had something else, in addition to the kidney stones.  He's still receiving treatments.  I respect his privacy, so, I haven't asked too many questions. He's looking pretty good though, so, I'm praying he will make a full recovery. 

On 2/25/2019 at 8:31 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

That's great news about your recovery.  My friend must have had something else, in addition to the kidney stones.  He's still receiving treatments.  I respect his privacy, so, I haven't asked too many questions. He's looking pretty good though, so, I'm praying he will make a full recovery. 

Ohhh...That's really sad. Even I will pray for your friend. If I can do any help in this ,then please let me know.Will be happy to help !!

• Love 1