Type keyword(s) to search

Spring 2014 Anticipation and All Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Given promotional schedules for various movies and TV shows next year, which personalities would you like / expect to see host at 30 Rock in the first half of 2014 (January-May)?

Here’s my list

• Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street / Oscar campaign) – can you believe Leo has never hosted SNL? It’s almost as unbelievable as his never winning an Academy Award. Maybe there’s a link?
  • Musical guest Bruce Springsteen (New album coming January 14) – has performed on SNL numerous times before.
  • Ben Stiller (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty) – Former SNL cast member? Check. Hosted SNL twice before? Check. This is a great possibility.
  • Bill Murray (The Monuments Men, February 7) – Former cast member who’s hosted multiple times before; an opportunity to bring the star-studded cast of a film featuring many former friends of SNL together.
  • Kevin Spacey (House of Cards season 2, February 14) – There’s going to be a huge promotional push for the second season of House of Cards. It stands to reason that Spacey, who has hosted SNL in the past, could return to 30 Rock for this.
  • Musical guest Beck (new album anticipated in February) – another guy who has performed numerous times before.
  • Jason Schwartzman (The Grand Budapest Hotel, March 7) – they literally parodied Wes Anderson earlier this year. How can they pass up an opportunity to help promote the real deal? Plus, Edward Norton already appeared on SNL this season…
  • Ty Burrell (Muppets Most Wanted, March 21) – Come on, be honest. You’d love to see Ty Burrell host SNL. It just makes sense.
  • Shailene Woodley (Divergent, March 21) – If any host is most likely to happen, it’s probably this one. It’s just too obvious / too good an opportunity for all involved.
  • Chris Evans (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, April 4) – This one also makes sense – Evans is exactly the level of star that you’d expect to see host SNL, plus Marvel cast members have hosted SNL before.
  • Musical guest U2 – another band that has performed numerous times and has an album out in April
  • Jamie Foxx (The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Electric Boogaloo, May 2) – He just hosted last season, pretty successfully, so this one is kind of a stretch, but it sure seemed like he was a good fit with last season’s cast.

Clearly SOMEONE from Electric Boogaloo Spider-Man will be hosting.  My bet would be… Garfield.  

Other than that, I would LOVE to get Woody Harrelson or Matthew McC supporting True Detective.  Beyonce is now a given for musical act… and maybe hosting too?  Jennifer Lawrence is probably likely (if she does get another Oscar nomination).  And in a purely wish list sense, Kristin Bell supporting Veronica Mars [she'd be good] and Kellen Lutz supporting Kellen Lutz's Hercules [he'd be hilariously TERRIBLE].

The Louis CK and Kevin Hart appearances over the last 2 years have shown how much fun the show can be with comedians. I'd like to see more of them.

Has Sarah Silverman been blacklisted? I wonder if NBC would have the guts to put Colbert on during his time off between The Report and The Late Show, or if CBS would let him go if he was asked. Right now @midnight has the market cornered on the mid-tier stand-ups. But I'd also love to see what a Brian Reagan, Jim Gaffigan, or Hannibal Buress could do.

Has Sarah Silverman been blacklisted? I wonder if NBC would have the guts to put Colbert on during his time off between The Report and The Late Show, or if CBS would let him go if he was asked. Right now @midnight has the market cornered on the mid-tier stand-ups. But I'd also love to see what a Brian Reagan, Jim Gaffigan, or Hannibal Buress could do.

Not sure, but there's a chapter in her book The Bedwetter in which she discusses her year on the show as a writer/featured player (the 1993-94 season, which, like this season, had approximately eleventy-billion people on it), and how little screen time she got, but she didn't come off as bitter about the experience (unlike, say, Harry Shearer or some others have, quite vocally)--it seemed more matter-of-fact than anything else (though she didn't hide her disappointment at the time, either). Later in the book, she goes onto say she was thankful to have gotten the chance to be on SNL without having that experience define her career or as a comedian. Mind you, the first female alum to host SNL was Julia Louis-Dreyfus in 2006--31 seasons into the show!--which is another subject entirely (though I remember hearing Gilda Radner was supposed to host in 1988 before a writers' strike combined with the return of her ovarian cancer put the kibosh on that, but come on!). Maybe with Season 2 of Masters of Sex coming out soon, that might change, but I don't know.