Type keyword(s) to search

The 2016 Rio Paralympics: Just as Swift, Just as High, and Just as Strong

I think that opening ceremony was not only better than both of the Olympic ceremonies, it was better than all of London's. So much great stuff in there.

I especially loved the cauldron. Between the hidden ramp and getting the full impact of the cauldron itself from the wide shot (which we didn't get in the Olympics because of the closeup on the flame), I think it worked much better this time than it did then.

• Love 1

So I've been following the Swimming and Athletics (I'm watching at TeamUSA.org -- the YouTube channel for the Paralympics appears to be geo-blocked for the US this time -- damn you and your exclusive contract, NBC!), and I have to say that the only thing more impressive than the way our Paralympic athletes are performing is coverage from the Australian commentators for the events.  I don't know who they are, but they are light-years better than what we get from NBC during the Olympics.  They're short, sweet, and to the point -- and they know when to shut up and just let the events speak for themselves.  Thank you, Australia!

What's impressing everyone else about the Paralympic athletes so far?  Any favorite moments?

Congratulations to the US for adding several more medals to our count, including six golds today in Athletics.  At least I think it was six -- I lost count of how many times I heard our national anthem!

And I am loving the commentary-free Athletics coverage!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I saw a Chinese swimmer without arms swim the 100m backstroke... it was amazing!

I know, right?  Watching the swimmers do their thing without arms or legs (and truthfully, I don't even really notice what's missing when they're being introduced) is indescribable.  In fact, seeing all these men and women work out in training, compete, and make it look effortless makes me say to myself, "OK, what's YOUR excuse, lazy ass?"

• Love 1

The top 4 finishers in the men's 1500m (T13, visually impaired) beat the gold medal time from the Rio Olympics 1500!

I heard this discussed on NPR today; apparently one reason is that the 1500 is a race of strategy as well as speed; the Olympic race was actually slower than any final since 1932.  But still, an amazing feat for these 4 athletes!

• Love 2