Type keyword(s) to search

The Mytharc: Deny Everything

I haven't been participating in the official rewatch (in preparation of the premiere of the miniseries) but I have been keeping up with what episode they are on and thinking about the show as a whole.

I've been thinking a lot about Gethsemane and the Reduxes lately.  Something that I've never really been able to grasp before is the sheer enormity of the lie "they" were willing to tell, and the lengths they were willing to go to, to keep Mulder baited.  His entire career, Mulder has assumed that the government has been lying to cover up the existence of extraterrestrial life, and that they were after him because he kept getting too close to the truth.  The reality of the situation is far, far worse.  They were inventing the story and then pretending to have to hide it, just to keep stringing him along.  His quest was just the diversion.  All the people that have died along the way?  Bill Mulder's murder?  Scully's cancer?  All there to keep Mulder convinced he was thisclose to exposing them, so he wouldn't give up.  I think that's what Krycek may have been alluding to in Existence, when he told Mulder the real tragedy was that Mulder wouldn't let it go.  If Mulder were to wash his hands of the whole thing, suddenly they no longer have that diversion they need to keep the focus off what is really going on.

The real irony is that aliens were real, but the government and the Consortium were never the ones calling the shots, the aliens were. S8 and S9 starts to make a lot more sense when you look at it from the perspective of these two groups battling for control.  The aliens with their replicates, and the government with their supersoldiers.  And then (to bring the 'starlight' thing into it) there seemed to be yet another force at work, that showed up now and again to make sure everyone remembered who was really in charge.

And maybe - oh, now here's an idea for you - maybe, William was so important because he was the first human that the starlight brought in to the situation rather than took out.  Oooof.  That's a heavy thought.  And......holy sh!t, guys.........

FROHIKE: We didn't hear you come in.

LANGLY: We were just dropping off gifts.

BYERS: We just wanted to...

MULDER: See it with your own eyes.

FROHIKE: It's incredible, you know? You arriving in time to save Scully. Getting her to a hospital.

BYERS: We still don't know how you did it. Speaking with Agent Doggett he said they never reached you with specific coordinates.

(Pause. MULDER has a small smile.)

MULDER: There was a light. I followed it.

Mind. Blown.

His entire career, Mulder has assumed that the government has been lying to cover up the existence of extraterrestrial life, and that they were after him because he kept getting too close to the truth.  The reality of the situation is far, far worse.  They were inventing the story and then pretending to have to hide it, just to keep stringing him along.  His quest was just the diversion.

What was the government/consortium diverting him from with this lie?

(This is right around the time I stopped paying attention to the mytharc, so I have no recollection.)

The real irony is that aliens were real, but the government and the Consortium were never the ones calling the shots, the aliens were. S8 and S9 starts to make a lot more sense when you look at it from the perspective of these two groups battling for control.  The aliens with their replicates, and the government with their supersoldiers.

I’m not even going to ask on this one; there are many reasons I was no longer watching and this was one.  Government covering up the existence of alien technology, testing the abilities of that technology on people without their knowledge, let alone consent … I can go along.  Aliens wandering around Earth impersonating people … now we’re into why sci-fi is not my thing.

Mind. Blown.

Isn't Mulder making a joke there?

Edited by Bastet

Isn't Mulder making a joke there?

No, LOL.  There really was a light.  Reyes noticed it every time she went outside.  (It doesn't get mentioned much.  It got lumped into the pile of stuff that largely gets ignored because fans were fed up with the William/Mulder/Christ child implications.)

Screenshot020.jpg

What was the government/consortium diverting him from with this lie?

What they were really up to -- conspiring with the aliens regarding domination of the human race.  They were pretending that all that was going on was that they had proof that aliens exist and had crash landed on the earth before.  The truth went far, far deeper.  They were stringing Mulder along by letting him believe he was close to uncovering the truth about the first thing, in order to completely hide the second.

(I should add the caveat that this is all something I've been thinking on recently, this is not necessarily me "figuring out" what's really been going on all along.  I'm sure I'll find some pieces to the puzzle here and there that simply don't fit.  But then again, this is the X-Files we're talking about here.  That happens already LOL.)

• Love 1
What they were really up to -- conspiring with the aliens regarding domination of the human race.

Ah.  I guess I've repressed it all.

(I want to be surprised they actually got so hokey as to have a light, but ... nope, not surprised, given what I've heard about the bludgeoning with Christian imagery the audience took.)

A friend of mine has been introducing her partner to the show this year, and they just finished season five.  This weekend, her partner said, "I'll watch the movie, but then we're going to have to switch to just stand-alone episodes if you want me to keep going."  Heh. 

• Love 2

Ah.  I guess I've repressed it all.

(I want to be surprised they actually got so hokey as to have a light, but ... nope, not surprised, given what I've heard about the bludgeoning with Christian imagery the audience took.)

A friend of mine has been introducing her partner to the show this year, and they just finished season five.  This weekend, her partner said, "I'll watch the movie, but then we're going to have to switch to just stand-alone episodes if you want me to keep going."  Heh. 

Exactly. Had to wear a figurative hard hat during all of it.