Type keyword(s) to search

HK Season 16 Anticipation Thread

• Start Topic

It seems to me that the producers keep recycling the same format of contestants, presumably for the drama.

For example, they always have:

• A heavyset and/or obnoxious black woman (sometimes, two)
  • An overweight man
  • A young mother doing stuff "for her children"
  • A contestant with presumably very little experience who ends up outshining most other people (usually female)
  • The tough-as-nails lesbian who doesn't take "no" for an answer
  • One contestant drastically older than everyone else
  • The "everyone-loves-to-hate" sexist

Can anyone think of anymore, or at least why they keep recycling these kinds of contestants?

• Love 1

The fat guy is usually also the oldest and dumb or sometimes there's a separate contestant who's the stupid one. Sometimes there's also a "hot girl." 

I've noticed they recycle these "characters" every season too. It IS TV, so I guess they feel they need to fill all the "roles." Who knows. Personally I would like to see them do away with the stereotypes and just cast decent cooks with only a few crazies thrown in for entertainment. But then when was the last time this show was serious about cooking anyway?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BogoGog24 said:

The fat guy is usually also the oldest and dumb or sometimes there's a separate contestant who's the stupid one. Sometimes there's also a "hot girl." 

I've noticed they recycle these "characters" every season too. It IS TV, so I guess they feel they need to fill all the "roles." Who knows. Personally I would like to see them do away with the stereotypes and just cast decent cooks with only a few crazies thrown in for entertainment. But then when was the last time this show was serious about cooking anyway?

I  forgot to mention there's always a hot girl, there's usually an Asian, someone from an ethnic minority, and the rest are usually just plants/fodder. I would've thought it's because it sort of fits the "perfect" balance for viewers. It's PC enough because it has diversity, it's easy to remember the individual characters based on looks (because if they all looked as average as Meese, you'd never remember them all) and it provides enough drama.

But as you said; it's a TV show for entertainment, not for actual chefs. At the end of the day, you'll support the "chef" you like the most, regardless of whether their dish was crap.

They just have too many, presumably to extend the runtime. I miss back in season two, when they only had twelve contestants, and neglected all those stupid intro sequences.

Oh yeah, and sometimes there's a "pumped-up" black guy (Sterling, Bobby, etc.)

Well since this is now I guess a season 16 anticipation thread I'll share this:

I remember when season 15 premiered Hulu had the wrong episode on its service due to some kind of mixup and accidentally had the first episode of season 16 instead of season 15. I got to see it before it was removed and replaced with the right episode. If anyone wants I could spoil what I remember (with spoiler tags of course), but for now I'll just say from what I could tell of that one episode, the show hasn't changed at all and in fact might have even become worse than ever. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Drogo said:

September 23, 2016.  We got a ways to go.

Shoot - what's on in the interim? I guess we can get our Gordon fix for a while with Hotel Hell and Masterchef.

On 28/06/2016 at 1:01 PM, BogoGog24 said:

Well since this is now I guess a season 16 anticipation thread I'll share this:

I remember when season 15 premiered Hulu had the wrong episode on its service due to some kind of mixup and accidentally had the first episode of season 16 instead of season 15. I got to see it before it was removed and replaced with the right episode. If anyone wants I could spoil what I remember (with spoiler tags of course), but for now I'll just say from what I could tell of that one episode, the show hasn't changed at all and in fact might have even become worse than ever. 

I remember you said this a while ago, I have a few questions:

• Have they changed the signature dish format? It seems to change every five seasons - Season 1-5 judged on no scale, season 6-10 get one point for a good dish, season 11-15 in front of live studio audience and scale of 1-5.
  • Are teams still men vs women?
  • How many chefs?
4 hours ago, hkalex said:

I remember you said this a while ago, I have a few questions:

• Have they changed the signature dish format? It seems to change every five seasons - Season 1-5 judged on no scale, season 6-10 get one point for a good dish, season 11-15 in front of live studio audience and scale of 1-5.
  • Are teams still men vs women?
  • How many chefs?
Spoiler

I don't really remember the format of the signature dish challenge as far as the rating scale goes, but I do seem to remember it takes place in front of a live audience again. As far as I can remember, no significant changes were made to that round.

Teams are still men vs women.

I don't remember how many chefs they started off with, it was about the same as it usually is I think. 

From what I saw of the first episode, nothing about the format itself really changed at all. The most significant things I remember about it are that the opening credits are done in slow motion and look mega weird and the women had a perfect first service (I'm sure that won't last long). 

On 09/07/2016 at 6:03 PM, BogoGog24 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't really remember the format of the signature dish challenge as far as the rating scale goes, but I do seem to remember it takes place in front of a live audience again. As far as I can remember, no significant changes were made to that round.

Teams are still men vs women.

I don't remember how many chefs they started off with, it was about the same as it usually is I think. 

From what I saw of the first episode, nothing about the format itself really changed at all. The most significant things I remember about it are that the opening credits are done in slow motion and look mega weird and the women had a perfect first service (I'm sure that won't last long). 

Thanks for letting me know:) I think a man will win this season. Not because I believe men are better or any of that crap, just by the laws of probability, and because the network won't want to handle claims of sexism for women winning four seasons in a row. The female team will unravel because of personality clashes whilst the men will fall apart over a power struggle - happens every time. Could be a man vs. woman final, though.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, hkalex said:

I think a man will win this season. Not because I believe men are better or any of that crap, just by the laws of probability, and because the network won't want to handle claims of sexism for women winning four seasons in a row. The female team will unravel because of personality clashes whilst the men will fall apart over a power struggle - happens every time. Could be a man vs. woman final, though.

Quoting this simply to say . . . NOPE.

The men's team again sucked this season, the women actually held together, and just tonight, the last man -- probably the most evil villain of the season and possibly even the series, to date -- was finally eliminated, leaving the second straight season to have an all-female F3, which will obviously be cut down into a F2 that's also all-female.  Four women will be winning in a row.

• Love 1