Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual BET Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Xscape! They were a little rough but A) this is the first time they have sung together live in like 18 years and B) they were actually singing live. So I thought considering they were pretty good. Those harmonies. Took me back! And not for nothing but a whole generation of young people only really know Tiny as T.I.'s wife, when fact is when they first got together she was the more famous of the two. Just saying. Anyway I am here for this Xscape reunion. 

Speaking of singing live Tamar was most certainly not. Which is a shame because she can sing. But that blond sure was glued on tonight. 

New Edition. Epic. That whole tribute, with the cast and the real guys. Yes, my 40 year old self was standing right in front of my TV jamming. 

Leslie Jones is an acquired taste. I can take her in small doses, but 4 hours of her? Too much. And she is so loud. Soooo loud. 

All in all BET did ok. They can be so hit or miss.

50 minutes ago, spiritof76 said:

Leslie Jones is an acquired taste. I can take her in small doses, but 4 hours of her? Too much. And she is so loud. Soooo loud. 

Same here.  She can be funny at times, but she needs to calm the hell down.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Bumping this thread up.  Anyone watch this?  

Bruno Mars and his Hooligans bring it every time and they didn't disappoint in the opening.  And I loved the New Edition tribute with the group and all the actors on stage, dancing and singing together.  Between dancing to Bruno Mars and NE, I really got my exercise last night!

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of most hip hop stuff, so I just FFed through just about all of it.   I did kinda like Future's song though.  

It's the violin, I'm convinced. I shudder to think that he's actually singing a song about Perocet and Mollys to the kids of today...but I'm not going to lie, my 42 year old self LOVES the Mask Off remix with Kendrick Lamar.

Mary looked a mess and sounded a mess.

I love the Trey Songz song, but he could have did better.

Why are Remy Ma and Nicki Minah beefing? I can't stand Nicki, but pre-prison Remy-Ma was a very good freestyler, I would be careful Nicki. No, I haven't heard Shether, I just found out it was a thing.

El Fucking Debarge! I LOVE him.

N.E. OMG...I'm of that generation, this was a something that I've been waiting for, and they didn't disappoint. Ronnie Devoe doesn't age, I'm almost convinced that he's a vampire. I had to tell my husband that Ronnie was aging like fine wine...,like FINE WINE.  OTH, Ralph looks rough, we know why Bobby looks so rough, but Ralph? I thought that he kept his drug use hidden. It doesn't look so hidden now. Johnny Gill seems gay...not that there's anything wrong with it, but my non-existent gaydar was really pinging.  

Jada Pinkett-Smith is the Black Demi Moore. It seems that they have the same plastic surgeon. 

Migos :( :( Anyone hear about the "fight" they got into with Chris Brown after the show? Quavo didn't even mess up his sequins. I FUCKING HATE the word Thot Thot.... oth, I now know how to spell boujee. 

Chicago!!! I love Chance, he's so humble and so unlike his rapper persona. I hope that he goes far. 

10 hours ago, Queena said:

It's the violin, I'm convinced. I shudder to think that he's actually singing a song about Perocet and Mollys to the kids of today...but I'm not going to lie, my 42 year old self LOVES the Mask Off remix with Kendrick Lamar.

Honestly, I wasn't even paying attention to the lyrics, I was just grooving to the music.  Too bad though, he could have just as easily sung about something else besides drugs.  

10 hours ago, Queena said:

N.E. OMG...I'm of that generation, this was a something that I've been waiting for, and they didn't disappoint. Ronnie Devoe doesn't age, I'm almost convinced that he's a vampire. I had to tell my husband that Ronnie was aging like fine wine...,like FINE WINE.  OTH, Ralph looks rough, we know why Bobby looks so rough, but Ralph? I thought that he kept his drug use hidden. It doesn't look so hidden now. Johnny Gill seems gay...not that there's anything wrong with it, but my non-existent gaydar was really pinging.  

Spot on about N.E.  Ronnie Devoe must be a vampire because he. doesn't. age.  Too bad about Ralph because he used to be the "cute" one back in the day but he's been looking like a crackhead for sometime now.  Bobby looks like Bobby, lol.  And Johnny Gill...I think you're right.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. ; )

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not a huge Bruno Mars (I don't dislike him...just not checking for him) but he always delivers in his live performances. I always enjoy watching him, and he was a good choice to open the show.

Several times throughout the show I found myself muting my TV because Leslie Jones is just TOO. DAMN. LOUD! I want to root for her because I remember her from the Comicview olden days, but she's just too much. She did seem really excited to be there and I appreciated that.

As usual Tamar Extra Braxton was doing the most. I still prefer Toni over her.

Are we still pretending that Trey Songz can sing? His performance was terrible...pitchy as usual.

Big Sean tried, but I was bored.

It was nice to Xscape again, but I thought Latocha's mic was way too loud. It's good to see Tiny back out of Tip's shadow. And it tickled me to see Papoose singing all of the words to "Understanding."

BET gets it wrong a lot, but one thing they do well is tributes, and that's why I continue to watch year after year. I really enjoyed the Chuck Berry and George Michael tributes and the NE set was everything. I loved that they included the younger and older actors. Luke James killed "My, My, My." After seeing the NE movie I was afraid for the "Poison" performance, but the guys did ok. I was thrilled to see the movie cast join OG NE for "If It Isn't Love." The all white attire was a nice touch.

Seriously, though if the guys are planning to tour they're going to need to get Bobby back in the gym and Ralph some voice lessons. Ralph was looking really rough. I hope his voice isn't completely gone and that he was just having an off night. I, too, believe that Ronnie is a vampire. It was cute when he told his wife to rub her pregnant belly for him.

Add me to the "Johnny is Gay" list, and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's awkward because he tries very hard to portray himself as a ladies man. Shortly after the NE movie came out he did an interview on the Breakfast Club saying that when he does those ridiculous riffs and runs he's imagining himself performing oral sex on a woman.

5 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

I wanted to tell ya'll everything I heard and felt about this but there's no need.  Dame did it for me and did it better.   Exspecially, with respect to numbers 2, 3 and 7.

http://verysmartbrothas.com/the-10-blackest-moments-from-a-bet-awards-show-i-only-watched-an-hour-of-because-it-was-long-as-shit-and-im-old/

Michelle definitely lied lol.

Edited by Jodie Landon
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

furthermore......are we just not finna acknowledge Ralph has been hanging with El?   Ya'll? he look 80 leventeen years old.

Not 80 leventeen! But he really does. I guess life (and crack) kicked his ass. Damn shame since he used to be so fine.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jodie Landon said:

I'm not a huge Bruno Mars (I don't dislike him...just not checking for him) but he always delivers in his live performances. I always enjoy watching him, and he was a good choice to open the show.

Several times throughout the show I found myself muting my TV because Leslie Jones is just TOO. DAMN. LOUD! I want to root for her because I remember her from the Comicview olden days, but she's just too much. She did seem really excited to be there and I appreciated that.

As usual Tamar Extra Braxton was doing the most. I still prefer Toni over her.

Are we still pretending that Trey Songz can sing? His performance was terrible...pitchy as usual.

Big Sean tried, but I was bored.

It was nice to Xscape again, but I thought Latocha's mic was way too loud. It's good to see Tiny back out of Tip's shadow. And it tickled me to see Papoose singing all of the words to "Understanding."

BET gets it wrong a lot, but one thing they do well is tributes, and that's why I continue to watch year after year. I really enjoyed the Chuck Berry and George Michael tributes and the NE set was everything. I loved that they included the younger and older actors. Luke James killed "My, My, My." After seeing the NE movie I was afraid for the "Poison" performance, but the guys did ok. I was thrilled to see the movie cast join OG NE for "If It Isn't Love." The all white attire was a nice touch.

Seriously, though if the guys are planning to tour they're going to need to get Bobby back in the gym and Ralph some voice lessons. Ralph was looking really rough. I hope his voice isn't completely gone and that he was just having an off night. I, too, believe that Ronnie is a vampire. It was cute when he told his wife to rub her pregnant belly for him.

Add me to the "Johnny is Gay" list, and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's awkward because he tries very hard to portray himself as a ladies man. Shortly after the NE movie came out he did an interview on the Breakfast Club saying that when he does those ridiculous riffs and runs he's imagining himself performing oral sex on a woman. 

Michelle definitely lied lol.

He's trying wayyy too hard! I was eating when I read this. I now hate Johnny Gill. He  ruined my grilled cheese sandwich. 

10 hours ago, Jodie Landon said:

Not 80 leventeen! But he really does. I guess life (and crack) kicked his ass. Damn shame since he used to be so fine.

My FBF's lost their minds when I said that he must still have that drug problem. No one could believe it... My gaydar sucks, but my crackometer is on point. ????

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Queena said:

He's trying wayyy too hard! I was eating when I read this. I now hate Johnny Gill. He  ruined my grilled cheese sandwich. 

My FBF's lost their minds when I said that he must still have that drug problem. No one could believe it... My gaydar sucks, but my crackometer is on point. ????

In my head, you've been banished for life for making me attempt to enunciate crackometer as though it were an actual proper instrument. 

Good day sir.

I forgot to mention, I cracked up when Bobby Brown grabbed the mic from the young'un who played him in the miniseries.  He was really good and when he was dancing and doing his Bobby impersonation, Bobby was probably thinking, "dammit, back in the day I would have danced him off the stage!" Not now Bobby.  LOL.

• Love 1

Sigh.  I feel madly in love with Ralph at 6 years old.  He looked normal well into the 2000s, but lately he looks really rough; I don't think I realized he also had a drug issue.  Breaking my inner self's heart.  Ronnie was my second fav...dang, 50 looks good on him.

BET struck gold with that NE miniseries, so I wasn't surprised they made a big production out of it at the awards.  I loved seeing the littles and the adult cast.  I really discovered Luke James and his music from the last few years b/c of this miniseries; he is so damn fine and no one sings like that anymore. NE are going to need to shape up a bit before touring, but I was emotionally struck when OG NE was performing.  I really hope they make it close to home.

Real talk:  Isn't it common knowledge that JG is gay?!  If he is, then I feel bad that he feels the need to be closeted.  

I'm unabashedly a Bruno Mars fan.  The man is talented, funny, and pocket boyfriend cute.  I went to the Moonshine Jungle tour a few years back and he and the Hooligans keep up that energy level the entire 2 hr show.  It's crazy.  I walked out of there a little bit lovestruck.

Escape didn't sound amazing, but they brought out all those good 90s feels.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I'm unabashedly a Bruno Mars fan.  The man is talented, funny, and pocket boyfriend cute.

I'm going to say "pocket boyfriend cute" every time I see him from now on, because that's exactly what he is!