Type keyword(s) to search

Characters: On A Mission

Captanne
  • Start Topic

I've seen all the episodes and I do like this for what it is.  I've said elsewhere that it reminds me of something to the comic book side of Jessica Jones and Banshee.  Cartoonish but with elements of reality.  

What I don't understand is all the dislike I've seen of Tulip.  I think the actress is neat and the character seems true to the genre.  Not well motivated or explained but campy and one-track-minded.  Very comic book.

• Love 4
On July 7, 2016 at 6:50 AM, Captanne said:

I'm finding it hard to connect with Eugene, to be honest.  I don't "get" him.  Also, because this show is so new and over-the-top, I don't trust it.  I couldn't enjoy one second of the journey to the stovepipe.  I kept thinking it would turn into a Stephen King horror story somehow.  That takes away from my enjoyment—I can't invest in Eugene and I'm not sure I want to.

I couldn't figure out who the 1881 cowboy reminds me of. A Stephen King character!

I find Arseface distracting for several reasons. Did he shoot himself because of Kurt Cobain? If so, is the show set in the early 1990s? He reminds me of James Vance, who survived three years after shooting himself in 1985 (supposedly after listening to Judas Priest).

20 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

I couldn't figure out who the 1881 cowboy reminds me of. A Stephen King character!

I find Arseface distracting for several reasons. Did he shoot himself because of Kurt Cobain? If so, is the show set in the early 1990s? He reminds me of James Vance, who survived three years after shooting himself in 1985 (supposedly after listening to Judas Priest).

I have no basis other than my own suppositions here: I think he was involved in the accident that left Tracy Loach in her vegetative state and he tried to kill himself because of his guilt/grief over that.  I'm guessing this based upon Mrs. Loach's reaction to seeing him in Custer's truck.

(edited)

fastiller, I remember that origin story as well.  It had to do with his involvement in Tracy Loach's vegetative state.  (I understand, therefore, why her mother hates him; I do NOT understand why his father, the sheriff, is so awful to him.)

editorgrrl, this whole show reminds me of Stephen King novels in a lot of ways.  1881 smacks of the "Song of Roland" homage he did; Preacher's Annville reminds me of any desert-set story like The Stand.  It's got that surreal feeling of "things are normal" (gas stations, Coke cans, vintage cars) with "things are just damned out of whack" (the angels, Eugene's face, Quincannon's mass murder, Cassidy.) 

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

@Captanne - I think the Sheriff is just plain uncomfortable with Eugene and can't express it any other way.  I get that as his Dad, he really "should" love him unconditionally, but some people just aren't built that way.

• Love 1

Yeah.  I s'pose.  He's just so adamantly hateful toward him.  It's like there is some implication that he is particularly interested in the Loach case.  (I keep expecting to find out the girl is his love child or something.)

I imagine too that image is super important to the sheriff, especially in a small town. There may be a mixture of sorrow, fear and resentment(son's actions reflect on him) that comes across as irritation and anger. He looked upset with himself when he yelled at his son to "finish the job."

• Love 1

General question: have we seen the mascot in every episode?  I seem to think we have, but could be wrong.

I can't remember...I don't think he was in the past episode because I looked for him specifically but he does pop up in weird places so my gut is telling me there is something more going on than just some loon dressed in a mascot outfit. 

• Love 1