Type keyword(s) to search

Venus Flytrap: Here to Brighten, Tighten and Enlighten your Starlight Hours

I keep going back and forth on who my favorite character is on WKRP, but currently, it's  Mr Gordon Sims. I love the interplay between his sober, introspective "teacher" nature and his dramatic radio persona. 

I just recently caught the "birth of Venus" episode-- classic. Starting with Andy and Venus casing each other around the empty studio. :D

I was thinking of starting a Venus thread, but would have called it "Are you Earth, Wind or Fire?"  :)  This definitely works, too.

I love the interplay between his sober, introspective "teacher" nature and his dramatic radio persona.

I'm a member of Toastmasters and have just completed the Interpretive Reading book.  In it, there is a project where you have to pick a 12-15 minute scene with 2-3 characters and recite it by memory.  I chose the scene from Venus and the Man where he teaches Arnold about the atom.  The other members loved it.

• Love 3

I'm a member of Toastmasters and have just completed the Interpretive Reading book.  In it, there is a project where you have to pick a 12-15 minute scene with 2-3 characters and recite it by memory.  I chose the scene from Venus and the Man where he teaches Arnold about the atom.  The other members loved it.

That's one of my favorite scenes from the series, and a good explanation too.

Was it Venus who wrote the jingle for Ferryman Funeral Homes?

• Love 2

I don't remember, but Herb was the one who revamped it for the tire commercial.
The Ferryman episode was one of the funniest damn episodes ever-- I love how that old guy started rocking out in the control room.  Probably the best use of music, too.

• Love 1

I too, have a hard time deciding which character I like best, and basically it's a toss-up between Venus & Johnny Fever.  I thought any episode where they were teamed up  together was fantastic (ie the on-air sobriety test, the transmittor bomb-threat phone-cop episode). Loved Tim Reid in the part - so talented, and he went on to produce some excellent TV shows afterward. I also loved that when "That 70's Show" was airinng, he did some recurring guest spots.

WKRP writers did some interesting back-story with his character: a mild-mannered school teacher who adopts a flamboyant persona for a radio gig. The episode that dealt with his desertion from the army was also really well done. He was able to straddle the line between silly and thoughtful in that role.

• Love 3