Type keyword(s) to search

Sir Malcolm: A Tiger? In Africa?

Character Bio:

A hardened African explorer on a deeply personal quest, Sir Malcolm has nonetheless paid a heavy price for his exciting career. Although his stately home is filled with marvelous souvenirs of his travels, it is devoid of family and loved ones. With Vanessa's help, he is determined to right the wrongs of his past, but his toughest journey lies ahead

penny-dreadful-sir-malcolm.jpg?w=625

It is very victorian to make the mistake of thinking there are tigers in Africa. Remember the line from the Mikado: "Yes i like to see the tiger, from the Congo or the Niger..."

• Love 1

I'm sure the lot of you have already seen this AV Club interview of Timothy Dalton, but I really appreciated what he said about the character of Sir Malcolm:

...this isn't an original answer or quote, but I love the fact that, in one of the later episodes, the character of Vanessa ... says, “You weak, foul, lustful, vainglorious man!” ... To which I would add obsessive, determined, ruthless, and manipulative… and as you can see, I’m one of the good guys!

I do think that this is a role that would have fallen flat in the hands of a less capable actor. Boy, Timothy Dalton sure nails it quite well.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the marathon, and have gone back several times to the episode Closer than Sisters. Sir Malcolm has a line that encapsulates his egomaniacal approach to life:

Sir Malcolm to Vanessa, at the Closing of the Gate: I always thought my traveling would kill my family, being away so long, my thoughtlessness. I never imagined it would be a cruel little girl.

It struck me very hard that the destruction of his family was a conclusion he could live with, if he had been the (direct) cause.