Type keyword(s) to search

King Of The Hill - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I finished the series last night. It's funny to think how I started early in the pandemic with the DVDs I had and was able to watch up to season 6, then Disney+ added the series and I was able to watch the rest. It's pretty amazing how well the quality was kept up over the years. Sure there are some stretches of really dumb episodes post season 10 but for the most part they are solid.

One thing that really surprised me was how much I liked Lucky. I wasn't watching the show regularly when it was on by the time he showed up so a lot of his episodes were new. But he was so good to Luanne and had some hilarious lines. Plus I am a huge Tom Petty fan so that helped. Also for him not being a voice actor he did a good job with the character.

Also To Sirloin with Love is a great finale. Even if it was a bit weird since Hank and Bobby bonded when Bobby realized he liked football a few seasons earlier. But that last scene at the grille and Bobby's "yup" were so good. Especially since in Life on the Fast Lane where Bobby comes home from work and Hank says "you can say yup too, you've earned it" is one of my favorite lines in the show.

King of the Hill: 3x11: To Spank with Love

As someone who despises corporal punishment from both parents and teachers, I'd have to say... Peggy did no wrong. At least not initially. She might've had the wrong motivation when the news crew was on her and she was motivated to spank Joseph, but Stuart Dooley felt like an amoral brat who needed discipline, not to mention committing sexual assault quite early as a kid. God only knows what kind of man he would grow up to be.

God, I hate kids sometimes. Or at least I couldn't work with them; "hate" might be too strong of a word. I don't have a problem with the well-behaved ones, but I can't stand bullies, having been roughed up by them as a kid. I guess part of why I supported Peggy is that my response to bullying was physical retaliation as well, even though I didn't actually hit anyone (merely tossing desks and chairs around). Got into a lot of school fights in my day. Another reason was because Peggy was right about the lack of respect not just her students didn't give her, but both Hank and Bobby didn't give her. Typical white men acting like it's the woman's fault for being sexually assaulted.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 1

I'm watching the 2nd half of the two-parter where Peggy and Hank go skydiving in celebration of their 20th anniversary (after consuming an entire bottle of tequila).  Three scenes made me laugh out loud-- the part when Peggy crashed into the ground shouldn't have been funny, but the flock of birds that take flight when it happened is a perfect touch.  And when Hank runs over to her, the most prominent part of her that's sticking out of the person-shaped dent in the ground are her big feet.  Finally, when they are wheeling her into the hospital and her parachute opens with a woosh!  So funny.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

4x8: Not in My Back Hoe

I read on Reddit that when you're middle-aged, you choose your friends based on convenience, not personality, especially when you're already too busy working a job and tending to your family. However, I felt that Hal would have been a good fit as Hank's friend. If this wasn't a TV show, I could see these two people with shared interests and personality going on to becoming lifelong friends.

4/5 regardless for introducing Hal. I'm gonna miss that crazy bastard.

4x9: To Kill a Ladybird

Meh, Dale's pathetic, but I guess pathetic in kinda a loving kind of way (I still remember the time he set fire ants on Hank's lawn though).

Also, poor Hank when he thought Ladybird was going to be put down and cried his eyes out. I could kinda understand why Bobby want that racoon as a pet (personally, I'm a cat person), but I can't say I could support the idea of having a wild, potentially rabid racoon as a pet, or any wild animal for that matter.

That said, you can't really blame Bobby much either with the way Hank controls the kind of pets Bobby wants ("I'll let you pick what pet you want when Ladybird dies, but ultimately, it would probably just be another dog, and not a poodle."). I'll bet Hank would say a cat is too sissy for a boy like Bobby, from the way he described cats.

4/5

• Like 1