Type keyword(s) to search

A Girl In The River: The Price Of Forgiveness

• Start Topic

This is going to be so hard to watch.

But I just learned from Raheel Raza on Real Time With Bill Maher that "honor killing" is, incredibly, so much worse than I even knew--e.g. maybe for an accidental glance in the wrong direction.

So I need to learn.

I've seen both documentaries, and they each left me with respect for the women and absolute rage at the local culture that places such a low value on the women to begin with. I was seething that Saba had no viable recourse but to publicly forgive her attempted murderers (her uncle! and her fucking father!!!), not that they asked for it or believed that they needed it. What is her life like now? What will it ever be since her family believes that they were justified in trying to kill her? I know it's unrealistic on my part, but I dream of a pipeline - an underground railroad - to get all the women to safety who wish to go.

As did you, I wish that Obaid-Chinoy had spent more time on Saba's mother-in-law. On the other hand, we don't know what ended up on the cutting room floor, as they used to say. It could be that there is footage, but it would have been too dangerous to the older woman to make it public. At least Saba has her new family in her corner. At least there's that.

• Love 3